Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my Peugeot 307 2006, the car has been breaking down a number of times recently, Mech thinks it may be the alternator as three(2nd hand)*** batteries have been drained and ruined upto now, but most salient*** issue is that the immobiliser key fell apart and was then re-assembled. While it worked a few times, it now won't work now, car won't start, fuel pump not starting, message on ECU is 'economy mode', which*** I believe means that ECU is shutting down processes and that the transponder on the key isn't working. I have the peugeot dealers card to get a discount for a replacement key, but really don't want to spend all that money.

If i can someone with Peugeot Planet and recode would that help,*** there doesn't seem to be any one on PP in the area(Sheffield) anymore.

tbh, i have had so many issues with this car, mostly electrics, none with the engine

tx

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi

tX, have read it, so even if i get the key fixed, replaced, recoded even, the underlying issue will still be there and car won't start, so, could it be the alternator finally packed in, it has ruined three batteries, upto now, i am disabled/low income, and my carer drivees/fixes the car, usually with help from him miate who is mechanic, but funds are low now.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
You have not read it correctly read it again :)

IF your key is faulty your car wont start so that needs fixed then car WILL start if the key is the issue.

Do the beep test

Alternator being faulty wont help things will it

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, can you link me to the beep test, how do i go about replacing key, I think I have a peugeout dealer card with a number of digits on it, I see you can get a replacement key on ebay, you then have to have it recoded I believe, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a PP person in Sheffield and around.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some one has had alook at it, they think the key is not working, I have the 4 digit code, how do i go about getting new key, the car is immobilised now and stuck in the local GP car park, they won't be happy, if we don't sort it soon, i don't know how much it will cost for a tow truck, I only have 3 star breakdown cover.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi, got in touch with him, because of location quote was unviable, lost of advice from TM though, so thanks, had a quote locally, 90 pounds for key, electronic with buttons, but TM isn't sure it is the key.

contacting carer so he can do the beep test, then decide.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
i advised him to do beep test because he said it turns engine over then stops turning engine over so does not sound like a key to me, i also advised him to contact a locksmith closer to him as nearly 3 hrs round trip for me

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
The alternator wont be the reason its not starting directly but if the alternator is not working and the battery went flat this would lead to where you are now think you need a few things looked at i would first fully charge the battery then do the beep test.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My carer is with the car now, he thinks it is definetly the transponder in the key, but is trying to obtain Peugeot Planet to reset.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Has he had the key apart and if so did he see the transponder in the case? Sorry I have reread from start and it has as it fell apart. Did it fall apart a second time just before it stopped working the second time. As reliable has said repeatedly you need to ensure the key is good and the battery is fully charged both from a voltage and amperage(load bearing condition) angle. Then if it starts the alternator can be checked for output by reading the voltage across the battery when its running.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Update

My carer and his mate say the beep test worked and it beeped, they have got the radio amd doors operational, but still can't undo the immoboliser, central locking, etc, so it could be towed.They have spent hours on it.

So, it can't be the key can it, but it must be if the immobiliser won't switch off.

Can I ask does the new key need to be with the car or can a lock smith do it at the premesies.

Local PP'er Latif think it may be corrupted BSI, the battery has indeed been changed a number of times, number drained, ruined,

·
11,978 Posts
Local PP'er Latif think it may be corrupted BSI, the battery has indeed been changed a number of times, number drained, ruined,
Yep, precisely what I said this morning on SF.

It's remotely possible that if the voltage regulator has failed on the alternator, that the voltage spike has damaged the ECU.

Or: All these battery replacements - is it possible someone has briefly connected one of them the wrong way?

And, was a BSI reset carried out every time the battery was swapped?

If it were me I would:

1) Get the alternator checked

2) Get the earth points checked - especially the one hidden under the battery tray

3) New battery

4) Full Planet diagnostic to determine if any ECU is damaged

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
If its beeping the key is being seen so your issue with the immobiliser is further down the line

Beeping normaly means immobiliser fine so as i have said i recon your real issue is NOT the immobiliser but something under bonnet wiring is the most likely issue but if you have allowed the battery to keep going flat the BSI may well have issues too.

Sort out the battery THEN do a PROPER diagnostic looking at ALL things not just read fault codes check settings in BSI for key etc check cranking speed of engine etc etc check if ecu shows as locked or unlocked all these things need to be known to decide what is REALLY wrong

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Breakdown has been out and recovered the car. They checked the battery and starter motor, both appear to be ok. Tried jumpstarting and bump starting but wasn’t able to get it started. Thinks it’s an electrical issue causing the keys and immobiliser to become unpaired. They didn't spend too long on it.

The beep test had worked earlier, then an hour or so later, it didn't.

Hoping a PPer can look at it this weekend,tx

1 - 20 of 22 Posts