Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a Peugeot 307 CC 2007, automatic gear.

The odometer is at 257 thousand km.

I went for a test ride and the car is really smooth, and cosmetically it also looking really good.

My only question is, does this model have a timing belt or timing chain?

I called an authorized Peugeot dealer here in Sydney, and they told me that this model uses a timing chain and doesn't need to be changed like the timing belt needs, but I'd like to double-check.

Kind regards!

·
Premium Member
3,033 Posts
What size engine is it? Timing chains can still wear if the oil is not changed as it should be and high mileage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What size engine is it? Timing chains can still wear if the oil is not changed as it should be and high mileage.
x

Super noob here, where can I find the engine size?

I got the engine number:
10LH5D1538973

Also, considering I change oil, what mileage would I have to change the timing chain? And would it require changing the water pump too?

·
Premium Member
3,033 Posts
It should be in the log book. Looking in the Haynes manual for the 307 normal cars the engines use belt and recommended changes are at 60000km. The cc model should be the same. Both petrol and diesel are the same. It mentions to look for signs of leakage with belt off from the pump as to the decision to replace it. Apparently early 1.4 petrol engines need special electronic tool and rocker arm contact plate are needed to set tension of the new belt. The sprockets etc are not interchangeable with the later 1.4.

·
8,947 Posts
What are digits 6-8 of the VIN number that gives engine code. I don't think the 307 was ever fitted with VTI engine, so i would assume its a belt.

On the ones where the tension had to be set with a gauge the rule of thumb is to tension so the belt can be turned through 90 degrees on the longest run with moderate thumb and forefinger pressure. Its worked for me for 20+ years

Reactions: iamfbpt

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
What are digits 6-8 of the VIN number that gives engine code. I don't think the 307 was ever fitted with VTI engine, so i would assume its a belt.
Digits 6-8 from the VIN Number are: RFJ

Is that right? Let me know if any other information would be useful.

The person I purchased bought the vehicle at 240.000 and sold to me at 267.000

She didn't know even know what a timing belt/chain is, she simply said she never had an issue.

There is no logbook either. So I'm confused as here in Australia it can be quiet expensive just to have the timing belt checked if it's due for a change (and the mechanics will usually say it is due).

·
Registered
764 Posts
Digits 6-8 from the VIN Number are: RFJ

Is that right? Let me know if any other information would be useful.

The person I purchased bought the vehicle at 240.000 and sold to me at 267.000

She didn't know even know what a timing belt/chain is, she simply said she never had an issue.

There is no logbook either. So I'm confused as here in Australia it can be quiet expensive just to have the timing belt checked if it's due for a change (and the mechanics will usually say it is due).
When I bought my 307 here is Sydney the petrol version was sold with either a 1.6l or a 2.0l engine and they both had timing belts. All the 307CCs I have seen in Australia had a 2.0l engine so it’s almost certain the car you are looking at has a timing belt.

It's a bit disturbing there is no service history. I had my 307 from new and it has done 196,000 km and the timing belt and water pump (dealers always both at the same time) have been changed several times. In my case these have all been done in single day as part of a service by a dealer but as the car got older the dealer was less certain they could do it in a day. I have also had a gearbox overhaul and a new clutch. I suspect the current owner probably doesn’t have the PIN code for the car either which means you will make thing difficult if you need a new key in the future.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts