Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had a problem with the roll-over hoops and seatbelt pre-tensioners in our Peugeot 307 cc. The car was parked, started up OK then suddenly the roll-over hoops and front seatbelt pre-tensioners activated (my wife, who was alone in the car was terrified).
This is a dangerous (as well as expensive) fault. I hate to think what could have happened if this fault had activated while we were doing 70mph on the motorway.
Subsequently, the engine starts but cuts out after a few seconds, presumably because the car thinks that it's been in an accident (fuel cut-off).
The Peugeot garage (who have been very good by the way) have determined that the fault was due to water activating the roll-over hoops Electronic Control Unit (ECU) and that we need to replace the airbage ECU, both front seatbelts, the roll-over hoops ECU and both roll-over hoops - at a cost of around £3000. I'm not convinced that they are 100% sure that the car will start even then.
I can't believe that this is the only time this fault has occurred on this model, so is there anyone who has had a similar experience or has a view on the proposed repair action?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Peugeot 307 cc ECU Fault

Not sure, we park the car on a steep drive and it had been there for several days and covered in snow just before Christmas. The boot area was very wet. We have had the car for more than 2 years and the boot has been dry up till now.

G

·
Blimey. I'd want to identify the source of water ingress before fixing everything else. You never know, if it's a design fault then PSA may contribute, what with the safety implications and all, but don't hold your breath.

good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
water in ECU

My 307cc has just been diagnosed with water from blown thermostat gasket knocking out the ECU...this had been tracking down the wires into the unit. This doesn't sound like good design to me and I don't want to pay the £1300 to replace the ECU. The car is 3 years and 6 months old. I have heard that this is fairly common...anyone had/heard of the same problem?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem!

Hi!
You were right, your car isn´t the only one.
My 6 year-old 307 CC was parked in the pourring rain all afternoon a month ago. Of course, this was about the 1000000th time it was in the rain. As I turned the key and the electric circuits were activated,all you described happenned to my car. There was water in the luggage compartment, about 10 cm high. I was told by the Peugeot garage that the water caused a short circuit at the sensor and so the car thinks it's been in an accident. The bill: 3000 euros. Of course, I don´t think I have to pay. Why should I be considered responsible? I´ve asked for an appointment with the post-sales manager. Hope he'll be understanding.
By the way, what about your car? Has it been repaired? Is it working well? No more water infiltrations? And who paid the bill?

·
Registered
2 Posts
307 cc rollover hoop fault

I also had a similar experience. Dropped the roof and rolled off my driveway in a sunny break in the constant rain. Drove about 100yards and BANG, I thought I'd been hit from behind. Looking in the rear view mirror I saw the rear headrests in the road behind me.

The car wouldn't start and because the hoops had extended I was unable to close the roof.

I read this article on the forum and thought about the situation. I rang my Insurer and they ACCEPTED the claim. Its now four weeks since they took the car away and we are told it will be returned this week.

I'll keep you informed.

2005 130bhp 307 cc

Mark:eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
the end

Hi

To end the story, the garage payed one third of the bill, the brand Peugeot Portugal payed another third and I payed the final third. Looks like Mark Cockney got luckier. Congratulations!
The car has been fine since then.

Tania Barreira

I also had a similar experience. Dropped the roof and rolled off my driveway in a sunny break in the constant rain. Drove about 100yards and BANG, I thought I'd been hit from behind. Looking in the rear view mirror I saw the rear headrests in the road behind me.

The car wouldn't start and because the hoops had extended I was unable to close the roof.

I read this article on the forum and thought about the situation. I rang my Insurer and they ACCEPTED the claim. Its now four weeks since they took the car away and we are told it will be returned this week.

I'll keep you informed.

2005 130bhp 307 cc

Mark:eek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi this has also happened to me I contacted fentons solicitors and Peugeot customer relations peugeot offered to cover all repair costs before I took it further with the solicitors, although they are dragging their feet on doing the work. This is a common fault for 307cc upto 2006 apparently it's a water leak in the spare wheel housing that causes an electrical fault. Fentons have dealt with over 10 cases now but they won't recall the cars as not considered a safety issue I think it's disgusting people are getting injuries.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We've had a problem with the roll-over hoops and seatbelt pre-tensioners in our Peugeot 307 cc. The car was parked, started up OK then suddenly the roll-over hoops and front seatbelt pre-tensioners activated (my wife, who was alone in the car was terrified).
This is a dangerous (as well as expensive) fault. I hate to think what could have happened if this fault had activated while we were doing 70mph on the motorway.
Subsequently, the engine starts but cuts out after a few seconds, presumably because the car thinks that it's been in an accident (fuel cut-off).
The Peugeot garage (who have been very good by the way) have determined that the fault was due to water activating the roll-over hoops Electronic Control Unit (ECU) and that we need to replace the airbage ECU, both front seatbelts, the roll-over hoops ECU and both roll-over hoops - at a cost of around £3000. I'm not convinced that they are 100% sure that the car will start even then.
I can't believe that this is the only time this fault has occurred on this model, so is there anyone who has had a similar experience or has a view on the proposed repair action?
Hi there....
Have just had this happen to my 307cc.
What was the outcome of your repair work
Cheers
Bernadette

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Peugeot claim its not a common issue ???

3 people on 1 forum where perhaps 5% at most of cc owners are members

This IS a problem Peugeot.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Does anybody know if you have to use new parts for the ecu's, belts and roll bars? I have the chance of one and looking at possibly repairing it or braking it if parts cant be found cheapish you can pick complete cars up for around 2k :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Whilst no comfort to those that have experienced this, It's perfectly reasonable for Peugeot not to consider it as a reason for recalling the cars if it is a very small percentage of the total cars sold that actually suffer from this fault. If on the other hand, the percentage of cars is high then yes, they should be recalled. Without knowing the total number of cars sold and the total number of cars that this has happened to then we are in no position to make a judgement on Peugeot's decision.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
ANY fault that to all intents and purposes destroys your car and scares you shitless has GOT to be considered a major fault surely for good customer relations it would be cheaper to cure rather than the repair after the fact

Repair BEFORE deployment would mean replacement of ecu and curing water ingress £500 tops

Its a no brainer to me as its still cheaper than even paying 1/3rd of repair costs !!

I now know of 3 more this has happened to its not uncommon Peugeot ARE aware.

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
I'm not saying it shouldn't have been sorted out. The owner of a faulty car will only ever see it from the consumers point of view. If 100 cars out of 1000 sold exhibited the issue then it's obviously a major issue. It could still be considered a big issue if 100 out of 10,000 were faulty. If however, it was 100 out of 100,000 then at 0.1% of sales showing the same problem then from the purely business point of view it isn't a major concern. The point I'm making is that Peugeot as a business will look at this in a totally Different way than the consumer. We will take the personal point of view whereas Peugeot will take a course of action which at that moment in time is the best choice for the business and shareholders.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
I bet if you done some research you could find enough instances to convince you it is a major issue.

Strange thing is Peugeot are replacing driveshafts on our taxis at 80k miles as the gaitors are bursting I would not expect that to be authorised but it is and the cost is more than half the cost of a 307 roof ecu

1 - 17 of 17 Posts