Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Long time reader, first time poster!

So my Pug has had an issue recently with the temperature reading on the dashboard going to max, bring up the coolant temperature too high error on the display along with the blinking red STOP light, this would last for 10-20 seconds before dropping down to the correct temperature, it was an intermittent fault until about 2 days ago.

Now whenever the engine is started 10 seconds later the message et al appears and will now stay on constantly.

I have attempted a few things on my own, including changing the coolant temperature sensor which does not seem to have made any difference unfortunately.

After speaking to a few friends they have come up with a small list of what might be happening, was hoping to narrow this list down to likely causes with people who have the same car!

So:
Thermostat problems (personally i dont think this is the problem)
Fan problems (although i can confirm the fan kicks in instantly the temperature increases so i dont think this is it)
ECU (someone has said maybe the fault code for the temperature sensor is still there and regardless of whether ive fixed it it will still read and report the error until cleared)
Wiring (could some of the wiring be damaged?)
Fuse? i mean i have no idea if there is a seperate fuse for this, as far as i can tell everything else is working fine

So, in advance, thanks for reading this post, im hoping i can narrow this down and get to work on fixing it.

Nathan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thermostat? Would that cause the high reading on a cold start? I thought it was likely to be electrical?

·
6,299 Posts
If it does it after about 15 secs of starting its not the stat as you will not have enough heat in cooling system to trigger fault, you must have and electrical problem, the most common is the sender however you say you have changed this.

I would therefore check wiring for broken wires/shorts as if the sensor is disconnected it will trigger max temp, stop warning and fans running similar issues if its shorted to ground.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, yeah I have changed the sender already and put it back exactly how I found it, I have my mechanic having a look at it tomorrow, I have said to him we suspect it's electrical, is there any clear signs/ways to check the wiring? And if it is the wiring what are my options to fix? Trying to make it as cheap as possible! Especially with Christmas around the corner!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts