Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,
I have been driving my Peugeo 307 for nearly a year by now without problem, the temperature always stays between 70 and 80 after 5 to 10 minutes drive. In my last trip to London I got stuck in heavy traffic where the temperature rose to more then 90 and I got the STOP warning on the dashboard. I realised that the fan is not working. When I left London and drove on the M4 the temperature went back to 70 until I got home.
I test the fan today by connecting it straight to the car battery; it is working. It is also working when I switch on the air-condition (only the at low speed) which is expected. I also cracked open the two relays the high and low speed which control the fan, looked inside them and they look like brand new ones. I also checked the 30A fuse that connected closed to them in the box located on the left hand side of the fan as you look at from the front of the car, and it looked O.K. I do not have any documentations for the car, I am only using my engineering sense.
Can someone help please as why the fan is not working? Is there any temperature control sitting on the engine that gives the order to the fan to work? Could be a faulty fuse somewhere I can not find it?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
operating temp for the 307hdi is 78 if your temp sitting at 70 could mean your temp sensor is faulty, somewhere in the engine bay , i`ll try and findout where it is exactly, £30 from peugeot , £10 from scrayard.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Is there any switch sitting on top of the rad ?
Not too sure on your model, but some have a low speed fan contact with the AC, and another basic temperature switch on the rad. These are an easy replace.
Coolant temperature sensors usually sit near the thermostat housing, which is on the engine on the end of the top radiator hose.

you can always fit a retro-fit model straight to the fan relay. I have a load of 90 degree normally open (closes at 90) temperature switches if you want one. I bought a batch as it was cheaper.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dear all,
I did further test on the car today where the engine was cooled, I had not used the car for two days, started the engine and disconnected the electric harness that is connected to the temperature sensor on the thermostat housing. After few seconds the STOP start flashing on the display screen and the fan started at high speed. Does this mean the temperature sensor is faulty? or the computer is playing up?.

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts