Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have recently purchased a Peugeot 307 2.0 HDI D Turbo, 53 Reg with 72'500 miles.

My concern is the cam-belt has never been changed and I really can not afford to do it at the moment and want to know how long I can wait before getting it changed?

Also is there any signs of a bad/wearing out cam-belt, that I should look out for?

Thank you
Jay

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Mr. Haynes reckons that the belt should be changed at 36k - especially if you are doing mainly town driving. But he is always ultra cautious.

Mr. Haynes usually halves the interval - so Peugeot will say every 75k ish.

I believe the DW10TD is 90k or 10 years for a change.

But as is always the case its a balance between stumping up the cash or taking a punt that the belt will not snap.

·
Registered
117 Posts
thought it's worth mentioning the actual cost of replacing the cambelt - according to euro car parts the timing belt and water pump kit is £130 (may be cheaper to a garage with discount) and labour obviously varies a lot!

What kind of figure do you expect it to be and hence can't afford at the moment? Perhaps someone can recommend a decent and reasonable garage near to you. If you were near Nottinghamshire for example, I know who I'd recommend to you having used them myself for the major service.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi mate,

I have just done my cam belt myself last weekend. Car is a new to me 2004, 105k 2.0 HDI 110 with FAP. Previous owner has never had the belt done.

The old belt looked fine and just as importantly, tensioners in good nick too. Personally I wouldn't sweat too much, interval is 96k so just get it done when you have saved a few pennies.

The job itself took me a full day but a lot of this time was spent faffing about making a flywheel holding tool and getting the pulley undone. The covers are an effing pain too, especially the bolt at the back which is now in the bin :)

Cost wise, 80 quid for genuine belt, tensioners and auxillary belt. Not too bad. I had a quote for 100 quid labour plus parts but decided to go DIY.

Cheers

Craig

1 - 7 of 7 Posts