Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone my fuel consuption on my peugeot 307 2.0hdi (90) seems low i am getting around 33mpg

im not sure what these car should be getting, so not sure how low it is,

also if low what could cause it

the car has done 129700 miles and is a 03 plate no service history

cheers

·
Registered
253 Posts
May be some of the guys that own a 307 may be able to give some figures.

However get all the filters changed or have a full service as it has probably been left due to negligence and Peugeots idea of having long intervals.

Stick some fuel additive in which clean out the pipes and stop injector drizzle or dribbling. Give it little right foot to aid clear out. Check all vacuum pipes and make sure the breather system and intake ducts are free and clear.

Have a diagnostic check just in case any other faults may be hindering your MPG.

Kind regards Adam. :thumb:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hi everyone my fuel consuption on my peugeot 307 2.0hdi (90) seems low i am getting around 33mpg

im not sure what these car should be getting, so not sure how low it is,

also if low what could cause it

the car has done 129700 miles and is a 03 plate no service history

cheers
hi,

I have a 2003 307 HDI 90 to and am experiencing the same problem. Typically it's come straight after my clutch problems but hey-ho thats life i suppose.

I'm not particularly good at working out MPG but i would get roughly 600 - 620 miles from a tank. My last tank i barely squeezed 500!

When cold, mine does lunge a little, i first thought it was a clutch issue but having sorted the clutch, i'm thinking it's something else..

I put some additive in yesterday and will for the next few tanks to see if it improves.

Have you noticed anything when looking at your injectors? I've noticed injector 3 on mine is damp whereas the others are bone dry...

I think i'm going to replace the leak-off lines (as these are cheap) and also change the injector line to injector 3 (inc the necessary seals).

Bear in mind if you do this, you will need to torque the injector line nuts which will require a special socket. (I work for a marine diesel firm so should be able to borrow one).

Have a look at your injectors and see if you see anything suspect..

I'm hoping mine is either a sticky injector or an air leak.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
As previously advised, get all the filters and oil changed. When I got my 2.0 hdi 90 I serviced the car and ran it with Redex diesel injector cleaner for a couple of tanks and treated it to a can of Wynns diesel EGR cleaner. The MPG improved quite substantially after that. I used to be averaging around 56MPG but that was mainly 90% motorway at around 65 MPH. Since changing my job I do most of my travelling in heavy traffic and the MPG is now around 50 - 51 MPG. Don't trust what the trip computer says - they can be pretty close or way out. My first 307 used to show 78 MPG instead of the actual 55 MPG. My current 307 usually shows about 4MPG less than I am actually getting.

·
11,731 Posts
I get around 550 miles out of a full tank if that's any help. Mostly local driving, 25 miles a day motorway commute (round trip).

·
Registered
344 Posts
I think between 550 & 600 is about right. I commute via 'A' roads and normally return at least 600 from a tank.

I've just ordered a new fuel pipe for injector 2 along with replacement leak-off lines so along with a service , i'm hoping to get me economy back!

Fingers crossed!!

P

·
0 Posts
Getting similar figures as mentioned and mines just hit 208k miles.

Good regular servicing will help. Using redex or wynns also helps.

Also, even though there is no logic for it, my car gets better mpg when i use garage fuel. Every time i've used supermarket stuff, all goes to pot. Never explained and as this comes up a lot on here, there is no reasoning to it, but there ya go.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I agree, I get about 20-25 miles extra per £40 of fuel more if I use Shell. As for mileage, I put in £40 per week, and travel 360 to and from work, but about 40% of the miles is on motorway @ about 65mph.

And the gauge sometimes does not drop back to where it was before filling up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hi thank you everyone for your advise i have just ordered all the basic service parts and some redex, i will post once its all done to let you all know if it has made a difference

thanks for all the help guys

·
Registered
241 Posts
Don't waste money on fuel system cleaners, they don't do anything other than a placebo effect.

If you're getting really poor MPG it's likely an EGR or MAF fault.
Try unplugging the blue plug from the EGr solenoid.

Next unplug the MAF and take the car for a drive. If the car gains lots of power the MAF is faulty. If nothing changes at all the MAF is completely faulty. If the car gets slower the MAF is likely working.

Other things to check would be tyre pressures, check the brakes aren't sticking, and the air filter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Normal mpg

"the car has done 129700 miles and is a 03 plate no service history"

Compare ours which is a 2002 HDI 90 that we've had from new and has been properly serviced. Total mileage is less than 60 000. Before her retirement the wife used it to travel into work maybe 12 miles each way crawling through commuter traffic. Apart from that it has been used to go to the supermarket which again is a slow local drive. She is scared of the motorway and the car rarely gets a decent workout. For the last MOT the car had to be taken for a burn up along the M6 to get it through the emission test. Average mpg is around 33mpg. I was also appalled by these figures but if you do a long journey at a reasonable pace it does much better.

It's largely down to the driver and type of journey regularly undertaken.

P

·
0 Posts
Don't waste money on fuel system cleaners, they don't do anything other than a placebo effect.

Next unplug the MAF and take the car for a drive. If the car gains lots of power the MAF is faulty. If nothing changes at all the MAF is completely faulty. If the car gets slower the MAF is likely working.

Other things to check would be tyre pressures, check the brakes aren't sticking, and the air filter.
And you basis on them being rubbish is what?

·
Registered
15 Posts
The missing figure

Average mpg is now up from 33 to 34mpg because we've done a few longer journeys on open roads. Pressing the button on the end of the right hand stalk cycles lots of info. The figure that nobody has mentioned and which is highly important is average speed. Our 307 HDI 90 is averaging 16mph which says it all. Lots of us crawl through urban congestion on horrendous road surfaces. Some cyclists have an average speed approaching that of ourselves. The only regularly fast moving traffic is lethal boy racers tearing around local estates.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts

Got to disagree very strongly on that statement. Half a bottle of Redex per full tank in my 307 results in around 5-6 MPG more than running without. The tank holds around 13 gallons so that's around 65 - 78 more mile per tank which for me would equate to a saving of £7.15 - £8.58 in fuel minus the £2 worth of Redex gives a saving of £5 - £6 per tank or £250 - £300 a year on the mileage I cover a year. I've been documenting my fuel usage for over two years and my results clearly show that in my car, my engine gets more MPG with Redex than without.

While not everybody will see the same result it is just wrong to say it does nothing. It has been proven that Redex can clean up emissions and bring back some of the lost horse power on well used engines without the need of a single spanner, socket, screwdriver or hammer.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts