Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I acquired the car in early November & at the time the seller showed me the dipstick to show how clean the oil was but I never subsequently checked the actual oil level (bad I know). 10 or so days ago the check oil warning came on so I promptly did just that & from what I could see at night (+ on an annoyingly brown/bronze dipstick, which makes it hard to see anyway) the oil was below minimum...in fact I think not even ON the dipstick. I drove half a mile to Halfords & popped in about 1 Litre of 5w40 fully synth & the next day the oil warning had gone. I have been checking but it's hard to say yet if it is abnormal consumption.

The car otherwise seems sound with no noticeable issues such as blue or white smoke (bar a bit of white smoke when the engine & outdoor temp is cold) & coolant seems a normal pink. Also no oil spots when parked.

The handbook says max consumption is 1 Liter every 1200 miles & I THINK I have done about 1200 miles since buying the car.

Obviously as mentioned I didn't check level in the first place so could have been 1/4 above minimum anyway (which to get to under minimum may be 300ml or so perhaps?).

I will keep an eye on it now but is it "normal" for the 307 1.6 S Auto to burn a little oil? It's no Mazda RX8 but is a relatively uneconomical Automatic.

Also since buying, the driving style I am sad to say has been constant daily traffic jams (Blackwall Tunnel if anyone knows it?) & cold-ish weather. Whether this can contribute or note.

If it helps the car has 57k on the clock & been serviced at Peugeot at correct intervals but hasn't had a full service since November 2012 - only Interim. Also the last Interim service by Peugeot was November 2014 & the guy that sold it to me said his garage serviced it (November 2014) but who knows.... I don't think too highly of him but that's another story...

Any input would be useful i'm sure!

Many thanks.

Ash

·
5,672 Posts
Does your model not have oil check on dash on start up which should indicate oil use

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey there,

It says "oil OK" when its OK. I seem to remember a little symbol with a load of squares in line come up which upon reading up on I believed to be an indication of where between max and min on the dipstick the level is...however I dont see that symbol anymore...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts