Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, hope someone can help shed some light on the issue im having with the fiancées car. As above its a 2004 Peugeot 307 1.4 16v with a KFU engine. It has a very rough idle (ie engine/car shakes violently on idle) and it doesn't seem to matter if the engine is cold or warm. The car is hardly driven (approx 4000 a year) and at its last service (1 year ago) the garage informed me the throttle body needed replaced. I bought a second hand throttle body and fitted it and it made no difference. I am getting no warning lights or messages on the dashboard and I have borrowed a OBD scanner and it reports no errors either.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Alan

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm not familiar with the layout of this particular engine, however it could be missfiring on one cylinder. Can you access and remove only one plug lead at a time? Easy way to tell.

You could also disconnect one injector at a time (the electric connector) and listen for a difference.

Other rather boring things it can be:
- Bad compression
- Broken or bent valve
- A sensor (less likely with no fault codes, however planet is your friend)

How did the old spark plugs look? How does the new ones look now after a little use? Do they all look about the same?

Check the engine mounts, probably not the culprit but easy enough to check.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm not familiar with the layout of this particular engine, however it could be missfiring on one cylinder. Can you access and remove only one plug lead at a time? Easy way to tell.

You could also disconnect one injector at a time (the electric connector) and listen for a difference.

Other rather boring things it can be:
- Bad compression
- Broken or bent valve
- A sensor (less likely with no fault codes, however planet is your friend)

How did the old spark plugs look? How does the new ones look now after a little use? Do they all look about the same?

Check the engine mounts, probably not the culprit but easy enough to check.
Hello, Sorry for not getting back sooner, been working long hours. Anyhow thanks for the reply. The Garage did check over the engine and he couldnt find anything wrong. The spark plugs all look the same and the leads are part of the distributor cap/bar thing. I'm waiting on an oscilloscope to test the o2 sensors as they could be failing but not yet faulty. Also ment to say the exhaust flex pipe (after 02 sensors and car) is leaking a bit but this has happen due to the engine shake. Alan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to keep you all updated.
I took the car to the local garage early this week and they had it for 2 days.
They couldn't diagnose the fault, they confirmed the car has a problem (which I knew) and that its using lots of fuel. They tested the plugs, ignition coil, compression, injectors all sensors (they even tried replacing the o2 sensor).
Its to go back on Tuesday to see there expert.
Keep you informed
Alan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys, another update.
The garage got the car last Tuesday and there expert discovered a faulty "coolant temperature sensor" and replaced it, charging me £150 for the privilege.
Unfortunately the engine is still the same and now the "heater blower resistor" has failed taking the harness with it. (another £100 for the parts to fix this)
Starting to wonder should I just get a new car rather that spending more money on it.

Your input is greatly appreciated
Alan

·
Registered
691 Posts
Alan, Use the link posted by Gibbo earlier in the thread. You need it plugging into Peugeot planet diagnostics to read the fault codes. This is Peugeot diagnostic equipment. :)

Please also update your location in your profile.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Use the link posted by Gibbo earlier in the thread. You need it plugging into Peugeot planet diagnostics to read the fault codes. This is Peugeot diagnostic equipment. :)
especially as you havent included where youre from in the margin ...people who may be local to you don't know they are ....
neil:thumb:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alan, Use the link posted by Gibbo earlier in the thread. You need it plugging into Peugeot planet diagnostics to read the fault codes. This is Peugeot diagnostic equipment. :)

Please also update your location in your profile.
Hi they used Peugeot diagnostic equipment and all they found is the above sensor faulty.

Sorry im in Belfast

Alan

·
Registered
253 Posts
Possible mechanical misfire occurring.

Check fuel pump pressure or regulator on the rail also relay just in case.

Possible fuel filter blocked or choked when was it changed?

Check all vacuum lines and air filter for obstruction possible water ingress.

Chuck some fuel additive in (cataclean) and give it some beans on the open road.

Chuck some decent fuel in IE higher octane and stay away from super market stuff for a while.

Probably needs a good decoking a little due to the town usage.

Try the simple stuff first. Kind regards Adam. :thumb:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello all

Had a different mechanic look at the car today.

He has diagnosed it as a faulty head gasket.
Its misfiring between cylinders 2 and 3.

So I think its up the road for her.

Many Thanks
Alan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts