Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've recently fitted a new stereo in my car, using the cigarette lighter fuse for the 12v supply. However, the car is now no longer starting. It initially tried turning over (it was cold and the car had been unused for 1-2 weeks) and currently just clicks when I try to start it. The lights on the dash do come on.

My first thoughts were that the battery may have run flat. Sure enough it was putting out little over 12v. It was quite old anyway so I decided to get it replaced. It still doesn't start though. I've tried unplugging the stereo, checked all the fuses with a multimeter (both in the engine and the glove box), attempted the bsi reset (3mins, 15seconds, 10seconds... and with a longer disconnect time), removed and replaced the shunt fuse and tried earthing the engine directly to the battery. The most I ever get is that the car comes out of economy mode for a short period.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Billy

·
Registered
14,286 Posts
This IS caused by a blown fuse radios and 307s always end up with non start !!

Is the car beeping with key in ignition and door open ?

Clicking was just the battery flat

If it beeps with key in check fuses again.

If it does not beep AND you have checked all the fuses then your key will need recoded using planet

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. F11 is fine, I've just switched it with a new fuse to be on the safe side but I still got the same. The car beeps with the key in the ignition and the door open, I'll re-check all the fuses tomorrow (when I can see without a torch!) on the chance I missed one. Are there any other fuses I should focus on in particular? Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Hi All,

I've recently fitted a new stereo in my car, using the cigarette lighter fuse for the 12v supply. However, the car is now no longer starting. It initially tried turning over (it was cold and the car had been unused for 1-2 weeks) and currently just clicks when I try to start it. The lights on the dash do come on.

My first thoughts were that the battery may have run flat. Sure enough it was putting out little over 12v. It was quite old anyway so I decided to get it replaced. It still doesn't start though. I've tried unplugging the stereo, checked all the fuses with a multimeter (both in the engine and the glove box), attempted the bsi reset (3mins, 15seconds, 10seconds... and with a longer disconnect time), removed and replaced the shunt fuse and tried earthing the engine directly to the battery. The most I ever get is that the car comes out of economy mode for a short period.

Billy

Hi billy is the car turning over now? Not sure if you have a 1.6 just thinking if you never started for a good period of time I would give the priming pump a good check that it's hard if not you may have fuel that's not ready to rock and role. Also I wrote a post recently about my new battery not being fully charged when I bought it if you have spun the starter for a good while it may still need a charging boost

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked all the fuses again (by eye and with a multimeter) and they were all fine.

The battery was putting out close to 13v. The car still isn't turning over; I've got a 2L. The pump is soft but firms up after a couple of squeezes. Is it supposed to be firm all the time or just when starting? Whereabouts is the starting solenoid on the 307 - sorry, I'm a bit new to this!

Thanks again

·
Registered
14,286 Posts
There is not a starting solenoid unless you mean the solenoid on the starter if so its buried down the front of the engine.

Check the underbonnet fusebox too as some seem to have a fuse that blows and stops the starter working although from your first post your starter was working !

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did mean the solenoid for the starter - sorry! I did check the under bonnet fuses too and they were all fine. I've bitten the bullet and booked it in at the mechanics tomorrow - I was just hoping I might get it fixed before and not need to fork out too much. Thanks!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hi All,

Billy
The one i repaired recently it was the f11 fuse, I notice your car is 06 plate so may differ. Do you have an owners manual to look up the radio fuse for your car,its usually 7.5v fuse. ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've found this list of fuses else where for my car. I noticed that there are MaxiFuses on the list which I hadn't come across under the bonnet since they're tucked down the front of the fuse box - could it be one of these?

I have gone through all other fuses in the glovebox and bonnet though and they were all ok. Thanks

Fuse N° Rating Functions
F1 20 A Engine control unit and fan assembly high speed relays supply.
F2 15 A Horn.
F3 10 A Front and rear wash-wipe.
F4 20 A Headlamp wash.
F5 15 A Fuel pump and purge canister solenoid valve (2 litre petrol).
F6 10 A Four speed automatic gearbox control unit, automatic gearbox lever locking control,
push control switch, fan assembly high speed relay, right and left xenon headlamps.
F7 10 A ABS/ESP control unit, power steering electropump assembly control unit.
F8 20 A Starter control.
F9 10 A Additional heating unit (Diesel), coolant level switch.
F10 30 A Engine control unit actuators (ignition coil, solenoid valves, oxygen sensors, control units,
injectors, heaters), purge canister solenoid valve (1.6 litre petrol).
F11 40 A Air conditioning blower.
F12 30 A Windscreen wipers low/high speed.
F13 40 A Built-in systems interface supply (ignition positive).
F14 30 A Air pump (2 litre petrol).
F15 10 A Right main beam headlamp.
F16 10 A Left main beam headlamp.
F17 15 A Left dipped headlamp.
F18 15 A Right dipped headlamp.
F41 15 A Six speed automatic gearbox control unit.
Fuse N° Rating Functions
MF1*
30 A 200 W fan assembly.
50 A 400 W and 460 W fan assembly.
MF2* 30 A ABS/ESP pump.
MF3* 30 A ABS/ESP solenoid valves.
MF4* 80 A Built-in systems interface supply.
MF5* 80 A Built-in systems interface supply.
MF6* 80 A Passenger compartment fuse box.
MF8* 70 A Power steering electropump assembly.

Dashboard/glovebox fuses

Fuse N° Rating Functions
F1 15 A Rear wiper.
F2 30 A Locking and deadlocking.
F3 5 A Air bags and pre-tensioners unit.
F4 10 A
Brake and clutch pedals switch, engine coolant
level switch, steering wheel angle sensor,
diagnostic socket, ESP sensor, electrochromatic
mirror, particle emission filter pump.
F5 30 A Front electric windows and panoramic roof
concealing shutter supply, heated mirrors.
Fuse N° Rating Functions
F6 30 A Rear electric windows supply.
F7 5 A Front and rear courtesy lights, map reading lights, glove box light, concealing shutter
control.
F8 20 A Audio equipment, audio/telephone, multifunction display, alarm siren, alarm unit, trailer
fusebox, steering wheel controls supply.
F9 30 A Front 12 V socket, rear 12 V socket.
F10 15 A Automatic gearbox control unit, STOP switch, tyre under-inflation detection control unit.
F11 15 A Diagnostic socket, low current ignition switch, particle emission filter unit.
F12 15 A Rear parking assistance.
F13 5 A Engine fusebox supply, rain and brightness sensor.
F14 15 A Trailer fusebox, instrument panel, automatic air conditioning, air bags and pre-tensioners
unit, hands-free kit.
F15 30 A Locking and deadlocking supply.
F16 - PARC shunt.
F17 40 A Heated rear screen.

·
Registered
39 Posts
06 HDI won't start

Hi,
If car is not turning over with a good battery, check your solenoid is being energized firstly.
Your solenoid usually piggybacks the starter motor. there should be 2 cables on the solenoid, a small low voltage and a large heavy duty cable.
The solenoid will probably click when you turn the key if it's being energized. You can also remove the small wire and check , with a voltmeter to earth , that it is getting power when you turn the key.
You should also test that the solenoid is making contact even if it clicks and appears to be functional, I think you can use a test meter on the large cable to test this.
If the solenoid is operating correctly then there may be a faulty earth or faulty starter. As a last resort you can give the starter a whack with a plastic mallet or a lump of wood incase it's become stuck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
06 HDI wont start

Hi again.
According to the Haynes manual there should be a MF7 30A Ignition switch fuse. I notice this is missing from your list of fuses.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hi again.
According to the Haynes manual there should be a MF7 30A Ignition switch fuse. I notice this is missing from your list of fuses.
The fuse list seems rather short dont you think ?

At the bottom of the fuse list above there is a F11 fuse for low current ignition switch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't be sorry, thanks for trying! I haven't come across any fuses other than the ones on the list. I'm having trouble physically getting to the maxi fuses though, I can't seem to remove the ecu to access them. I did't spot a fuse in the mf7 position when I looked, this couldn't have been there when the car was working though. I've checked all of the non-maxi fuses though and they are good. It's too dark and cold for me to investigate the solenoid now. I'm hoping I didn't send a surge to the bsi :( . Although I would hope one of the fuses would protect that from happening. Thanks

·
Registered
691 Posts
Don't be sorry, thanks for trying! I haven't come across any fuses other than the ones on the list. I'm having trouble physically getting to the maxi fuses though, I can't seem to remove the ecu to access them. I did't spot a fuse in the mf7 position when I looked, this couldn't have been there when the car was working though. I've checked all of the non-maxi fuses though and they are good. It's too dark and cold for me to investigate the solenoid now. I'm hoping I didn't send a surge to the bsi :( . Although I would hope one of the fuses would protect that from happening. Thanks
Dash/glovebox fusebox.

F8 20 A Audio equipment, audio/telephone, multifunction display, alarm siren, alarm unit, trailer
fusebox, steering wheel controls supply.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts