Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I was wondering if any one could help/ give advise?

My Peugeot 307 (04 plate) has just failed it's MOT.

A reason for refusal of MOT was-
'Offside rear coil spring broken'

Does anyone know what this means?
Do I need to or should I replace both?
How much for parts?
How much for labour?

Also I have advisory items as followed:-

- near side front lower suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement.
- offside front (steering arm into steering rack) drag link end ball joint has slight play.
-oil leak

Can any one help with these and let me know if they are dangerous? Should be done urgently? How much they might cost? What would be best to get done first if I can't get all done together?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
424 Posts
you will be ok to just replace the broken spring, it's personal preference on whether to replace both

say approx £30 for the spring, labour depends on book time - possibly an hour? (I paid £110 to have a spring replaced on my 407)

any further info on the oil leak, can you see where it's leaking or dripping on the floor?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I asked the garage about the oil leak they just said it's probably coming from the engine. So not very clear but I will get someone to check it soon.
Thank you

·
Registered
884 Posts
The n/side spring will be just "hanging free" when the o/side is replaced so its best to replace the pair at the same time.
Its a known problem with Peugeot.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hi I was wondering if any one could help/ give advise?

My Peugeot 307 (04 plate) has just failed it's MOT.

A reason for refusal of MOT was-
'Offside rear coil spring broken'

Does anyone know what this means?
Do I need to or should I replace both?
How much for parts?
How much for labour?

Also I have advisory items as followed:-

- near side front lower suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement.
- offside front (steering arm into steering rack) drag link end ball joint has slight play.
-oil leak

Can any one help with these and let me know if they are dangerous? Should be done urgently? How much they might cost? What would be best to get done first if I can't get all done together?

Thanks in advance.
Spring is a definate get fixed obviously as its a fail.

Howver the advisarys are a funny one, some garages are really parnickity about things. I had the same rubber bush advisarys on my car but on boths sides front and back.

i also had a drag link ball joint mentioned. Had a garage have a look and thought the MOT tester was over the top, bushes were fine.

couldnt find any loose balljoint either - they did however replace the tie rods and inner tracks before doing the tracking whichw as needing done and that solved the clunking over bumps at low speed.

spring has already been answered but i thought id just add about the advisarys.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
you will be ok to just replace the broken spring, it's personal preference on whether to replace both

say approx £30 for the spring, labour depends on book time - possibly an hour? (I paid £110 to have a spring replaced on my 407)

any further info on the oil leak, can you see where it's leaking or dripping on the floor?
SPRING SHOULD AND MUST ALWAYS BE REPLACED IN PAIRS! the reason for this is that a new spring will act different from and old one and different makes are slightly different so as to no affect the stability of the vehicle they should be replaced in pairs across the same axle otherwise your car may lean a bit on one side

·
Registered
4,779 Posts

about £25 for a pair of springs and I can do both rear in about an hour there easy on 307, just jack back up and put on axle stands and unbolt the shockers and axle will drop down enough to put both springs in then bolt shockers back on

·
Registered
287 Posts
about £25 for a pair of springs and I can do both rear in about an hour there easy on 307, just jack back up and put on axle stands and unbolt the shockers and axle will drop down enough to put both springs in then bolt shockers back on
fancy doing my front and back shocks? my springs are fine they were all replaced a few years ago. LOL

Id agree, id prefer to have pairs replaced since as mentioned and old suspension part is going to have different characteristics to a new one.

·
Registered
648 Posts
It's not a particularly hard job. As mentioned, back springs are easy. Front springs will require a spring compressor and caution, compress spring, disconnect drop link, unbolt shock from hub carrier and then unbolt top of shock from engine compartment to remove spring and shock together. Unbolt top bearing, pop spring onto new shock, secure top bearing, unwind spring compressors carefully then refit the spring/shock assembly in reverse fashion ensuring you follow correct torque settings, use new locknuts and thread lock where appropriate.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
the thing I would add to this Is for a first time try at something you are not sure about take photo's of how things are fixed so on reassembly If not sure you can refer to them

1 - 11 of 11 Posts