Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is about my 306 2.0 16v, my fifth gear is too short. To many rpm for the speed, so i was planing to change the fifth gear from some other be3 gearbox and to be longer 5th. So my question is beside the 2 gears that i will change do i need something else like synchro or somethnig?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Lots of hard work swapping a gear over just to drop the cruising RPM by a couple of hundred. I would guess the costs involved would outweigh the potential savings in fuel as well as any potential mechanical damage. The vehilce would have been designed with the optimum ratios.

I was looking at doing something similar to a Corsa C, replacing the 5th speed a 6th gear ratio from a corsa D, the costs would have been around £600, this was more than any potential savings as well as potentially damaging the transmission due to the extra torque applied in the different gear.

You could have a look for a 6 speed unit and change the driveshafts as they could differ

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
on peugeot it is easy swap something like 1 hour work
So, removing the gearbox, stripping it down, replacing a set of gears, rebuilding and refitting is going to take an hour. Somehow I think you are around 20 hours out.

I'm kind of inclined to believe that the designers of the gearbox made it that way for a reason. It could even be the clutch slipping causing to high revs for a given speed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok never mind i was thinking that this is peugeot forum and you know something but i guess i am wrong. For change of fifth gear there is no need to take out the gearbox or to strip it down it can be changed with the gearbox still on the car

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Ok never mind i was thinking that this is peugeot forum and you know something but i guess i am wrong. For change of fifth gear there is no need to take out the gearbox or to strip it down it can be changed with the gearbox still on the car
Seems like you thought wrong. The majority are ordianarh car owners with various le els of expertise unlike yourself who must be an expert.

I'm not going to argue wether it is or isn't possible as not being an expert I don't reply know but I would have expected it to be much easier with the box on a workbench

1 - 7 of 7 Posts