Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like some insight into the running of my peugeot.

I purchased a late 2009 3008 2.0 Exclusive a couple of months ago from a main dealer. After collecting the car, I noticed that when pulling forward in 1st gear with the clutch at it's bite point there would be judder through the pedal and the car would also vibrate as a result. This made it quite annoying to drive in traffic. I returned the car to the dealer and they told me that this was a "characteristic of the car" and more specifically a characteristic of the way the dual mass flywheel transfers the drive to the gearbox.

Anyway I told them I wasn't satisfyed that a car with under 10,000 miles would perform like this and asked to sit in another 3008 for the sake of comparison. The only 3008 they had available was a 1.6 Hdi which I drove forward and backward - clutch action all nice and smooth without any vibration whatsoever!

I left my car with the garage @ 3pm one afternoon and by 9am the next morning I received a call from them asking me to come in and have a drive of it. I went for a test drive with the head technician who explained to me that he has been able to perform a software update on the vehicle (engine upgrade?) which had altered the engine running and achieved at least a 50% reduction in vibration at the clutch biting point and a smoother gearchange allround. He was correct in what he said. The vibration was still there but vastly improved and overall drivability was a lot better.

After taking the car back home and using it most days I feel that the fuel consumption has really gone to pot! It is struggling to keep to about 35mpg @ an average speed of 19mph. According to the (2nd trip computer) trip, the 600miles preceding the software mod, it has averaged 42mpg @ 20mph.

Another dealer's mastertech has told me these updates are irreversible by the official dealers and that they simple dial into the French update servers and have little control of software. Is this really the case?

I believe my clutch/flywheel was rough in the 1st place due to worn/damaged parts and software should not have been used to "cover it up" - parts should have been replaced under warranty if at all possible. The poor economy is really concerning me and I need a bit of ammunition to reapproach the dealer and demand some action.

Sorry for the long post, hope those in the know can point me in the right direction on this matter.

Alex

·
Registered
80 Posts
Alex, I'm no master technician... but the vibration is indeed a trait with dual mass flywheels THAT ARE ON THEIR WAY OUT! Mine (407 1.6hdi) has 53k on the clock and is smooth and vibration free. I'm paranoid about it going... but my mechanic assures me that its ok unless you feel a vibration at bite point.

Oh... and maybe someone can enlighten me, but how on earth does a software update effect a manual clutch/gearbox? I could see that making sense with an auto/tiptronic, but a standard manual? :nono:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Johnny_E for your input.

I would indeed be surprised that my car on just 9700 miles does have a flywheel that is worn/warped but I guess there can be faults at manufacture or it might have had a hard life as a Peugeot demonstrator for instance. I am considering writing to the previous owner about this and enquire if the car had vibration through the clutch during his ownership.

I have got no idea how the software mod reduced the vibration so much but I want to be clear about the fact that if there is any vibration the flywheel is worn so I can go back and complain with more vigor.

With the software supposedly updated I think the engine sounds a bit less smooth but I am most concerned about the mpg. I think i will have to look around for a 2.0hdi 3008 at another dealer and ask for a test drive to verify clutch judder to be sure that it is NOT just "a characteristic of the car"!

Would love some more comments about this and also an opinion on software updates from Peugeot. Are they reversible or is it a case of getting the car remapped via a third party.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Want to get someone to do use some diagnostics on the ECU first n foremost. Are there any garages with Peugeot Planet near Stoke-on-Trent. I see Geoff P is capable but not sure he would have the time.

The garage I bought the car from now has another 2.0 Hdi 150 for sale. May have to go there and check if that clutch wobbles, it has just 7000+ miles on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
3008 1.6Hdi automatic - clutch judder.

I have a 2010 3008 1.6 Hdi, with automatic gearbox.

I also have clutch problems.

On odd occasions, first thing in the morning, especially if it is cold and damp, the clutch judders badly on pulling away. This is ONLY on pulling away, and it improves over a few minutes and then operates perfectly.

Has anyone any advice?

·
Registered
1 Posts
3008 1.6Hdi automatic - clutch judder.

I have a 2010 3008 1.6 Hdi, with automatic gearbox.

I also have clutch problems.

On odd occasions, first thing in the morning, especially if it is cold and damp, the clutch judders badly on pulling away. This is ONLY on pulling away, and it improves over a few minutes and then operates perfectly.

Has anyone any advice?
Did you sorted this mate, I have a similar problem !!!:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts