Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now seen countless forums from here and other forums online and yet no one seems to have the actual solution to the problem which seems to be common with the 207's. I please ask for help and advice, and whilst I appreciate there are some that prefer answering with further problems rather than solutions (others offering negative comments on efforts so far) I would prefer hearing back from those of you that have experienced the problem and found the credible solution.

The problem:

I have a Peugeot 207 (2006) 1.4. The problem started intermittently that all the warning lights have gone on, steering stiffens up, battery light on, ABS warning, Anti-Pollution, speedo dial not working and a huge big in red "STOP" on the dash. What was intermittently has now become permanent. Apart from the hard steering the car is fine!

Tried so far:

1. I have taken off the fuse cover in the engine to check for dampness or water, it is dry and very clean, no visible damage and looks brand new!
2. I have checked fuse compartment in car and again no sign of anything that can raise suspicion.
3. Took the car to National Tyre and asked them to put on a diagnostic. I couldn't tell you what equipment they used but as the branch is brand new it was up to date. The diagnostic unit could not read the car at all, infact couldn't actually recognise it was connected. They suggested a dealer, and we all know what that means.....£1,000's
4. I had problems awhile back with the rear left brake light and changed the bulb and it still did not work, took off the console and for some reason it worked again, from this and another forum they mention it could be causing the warning lights, I have now once again checked both back light consoles and all is clear apart from a slight bit of moisture.

Please please help!!! Surely there is someone that has experienced the exact same problem and found the simple solution, it must be something in particular that is causing this same reoccurring problem with 207 owners.

I look forward to all responses!

·
12,149 Posts
Hi there, are you the chap who posted on HonestJohn and I guided here?

·
6,599 Posts
Do you have ABS fault light on as well, all vehicle speed info comes from ABS Unit. No speed signal will trigger Depollution fault, no power steering and stop light amongst other. ABS Units are a weak spot on 207's.

Also how good is battery & Alternator as non charging/poor battery can trigger a multitude of errors and stop power steering

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi windy1603, yes the ABS fault is on as well, it is actually one of the warning signs, its says breaking system failed, stop! I thought about the battery being a problem, may have to take it to get tested or try find my multimeter somewhere. What are your thoughts, test battery or deal with ABS first? If ABS, then what should I do? Is ABS a quick fix like maybe a sensor or something?

·
6,599 Posts
You need to get car on Planet/Diagbox to read faults.

I would think ABS will be the cause. It could be NSF wheel sensor (used to get speed signal) through to ABS pump ECU failure

Reactions: tom ryan

·
Registered
877 Posts
get battery checked at a tyre centre or garage, a home multimeter will be no good to detect a bad cell.

i would be first unplugging the plug to the abs ecu and checking for damp, may as well unplug it from the main ecu and check plugs there also.

i found it easier to remove the front bumper but you may just be able to unplug the abs plug from under the car.

could be a speed sensor or the abs ecu at fault, ours read right hand speed sensor but turned out to be the abs ecu, got a second hand one of ebay with a 30 day guarantee, been good since.
as above you need proper diagnostic, where are you?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have now tried to make contact with my local diagnostic equipment holder from this website and as a newbie unable to send PM's so resorted to a visitor message to get hold of him, hopefully he will respond and I can arrange for the check to be carried out. I had a suspicsion it was the ABS being the suspect all along!! You seem to know your stuff! If it is the wheel sensor, how hard is it to replace? And do you know roughly the part replacement cost?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah seems like I may need to. As per my previous message, do you know how difficult to change a sensor? Can it be a home job with limit tools to carry out?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
get battery checked at a tyre centre or garage, a home multimeter will be no good to detect a bad cell.

i would be first unplugging the plug to the abs ecu and checking for damp, may as well unplug it from the main ecu and check plugs there also.

i found it easier to remove the front bumper but you may just be able to unplug the abs plug from under the car.

could be a speed sensor or the abs ecu at fault, ours read right hand speed sensor but turned out to be the abs ecu, got a second hand one of ebay with a 30 day guarantee, been good since.
as above you need proper diagnostic, where are you?
I am from Glasgow, far from West Midlands unfortunately as you seem to be on the same page as I am. Unplugging the ABS plug? Likely to find somewhere located around the brake callipers? Equally unplugging from the ECU in the car or under the bonnet?

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Hi I will be around tomorrow if you can bring it to bonnybridge I can plug it in im not terribly familiar with 207s but I am familiar with French electrics :)

I don't really do a lot of repairs now so im not at workshop every day but if we get it plugged in and go through everything im sure we can figure it out

·
Registered
877 Posts
main ecu under bonnet, press each lock clip and slide the arm over to release each plug.

seen people struggle to remove ecu plug with the bumper and bracket on, its a bit awkward , removing the bumper makes it much easier, just remove upper/lower plastic studs and bolts, two t screws in the front wheel arch then push the plastic back enough to get a stubby spanner/ratchet in, think its two 10mm bolts each side holding the bumper to the wing bracket.(unclip the fogs when removing)

you can then get to the abs pump bracket, get the horn out the way and 3 more t bolts hold the pump to the bracket, jack up the front so you can see.

take a pic of the ecu/pump numbers before putting back together, you may need them later.
pic taken from n/s front light with bracket removed, check for water in the loom,

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
main ecu under bonnet, press each lock clip and slide the arm over to release each plug.

seen people struggle to remove ecu plug with the bumper and bracket on, its a bit awkward , removing the bumper makes it much easier, just remove upper/lower plastic studs and bolts, two t screws in the front wheel arch then push the plastic back enough to get a stubby spanner/ratchet in, think its two 10mm bolts each side holding the bumper to the wing bracket.(unclip the fogs when removing)

you can then get to the abs pump bracket, get the horn out the way and 3 more t bolts hold the pump to the bracket, jack up the front so you can see.

take a pic of the ecu/pump numbers before putting back together, you may need them later.
pic taken from n/s front light with bracket removed, check for water in the loom,

Hi Stripe88, I met up with Reliable406 this morning and we checked the ABS ECU and the ECU next to the battery, both were free from damp/water. We further connect to another ABS ECU which was a spare unti from another car and was working and the Diagnostic still read problem. We checked the wires and cradle in and around the ABS ECU and wires seemed fine with no visible water erosion. We further carried out another diagnostic and it pointed to the ABS being the culprit in the end.

The conclusion is that the ABS ECU is possibly working fine, the Engine ECU is possibly also fine, the next check will be to strip out battery, engine ECU and check all wires running between engine ECU/battery with hope of finding a faulty wire?? If not it then has to be the engine ECU or the ABS ECU which is faulty!

·
Registered
877 Posts
did the spare unit have the same numbers on it?did you bolt it to the pump? only ask as the pump is powered from the abs ecu.
not a expert but have read its often the ecu part but can sometimes be the actual pump that causes errors.(confirm anyone??)
anyway lets hope its something simple, keep us in the loop.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Part numbers do not have to match this is an urban myth

Part numbers SOMETIMES need to match for SOME items

Part numbers on most parts are manufacturers part numbers NOT Peugeots part number !!

Abs unit was from a working car no coms with ABS unit with either unit plugged in so its more than likely a power or wiring issue all fuses seemed fine and dry.

·
Registered
134 Posts
When this happened on mine the water was inside the connectors which are found in the "under bonnet fuse box". You could not see the problem just by opening the lid of the fuse box and there was no water in the ABS plugs or ECU plugs. You need to unplug all three connectors in the engine bay fuse box and look inside the sockets. Middle one of the three I think it was in my case. The symptoms on mine was absolutely identical to what you've described.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When this happened on mine the water was inside the connectors which are found in the "under bonnet fuse box". You could not see the problem just by opening the lid of the fuse box and there was no water in the ABS plugs or ECU plugs. You need to unplug all three connectors in the engine bay fuse box and look inside the sockets. Middle one of the three I think it was in my case. The symptoms on mine was absolutely identical to what you've described.
I have checked inside the fuse box and unplugged all 3 wire harnesses and all dry and good!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
An update to all in this forum and Reliable406 - I spent the entire afternoon stripping away the battery unit, fuse box unit, checked all wires running from ABS unit and checked all wiring in and around battery/fuse box. Reliable406 and I both agreed that if it was not the wiring then it had to be either the fuse box ECU or the ABS. As per the above responses Reliable406 and I used a working ABS when we ran the diagnostics and still it had a the fault, therefore, I now believe it has to be the fusebox/ECU?? Picture below..... Do you all agree?

·
Registered
134 Posts
That's very good news as it's not a pleasant problem to deal with if that happens. So that rules out the problem where water enters from the windscreen washer pump. When that does happen it comes through the centre of the three connectors in the engine bay fuse box which is why I was making sure you'd checked there. Those connectors have a rubber seal so you don't find the water until you actually unplug it from the fuse panel. Unfortunately I can't be of any further help now you've checked the place where the problem happened on my own 207. Good luck and I hope you get it fixed soon :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's very good news as it's not a pleasant problem to deal with if that happens. So that rules out the problem where water enters from the windscreen washer pump. When that does happen it comes through the centre of the three connectors in the engine bay fuse box which is why I was making sure you'd checked there. Those connectors have a rubber seal so you don't find the water until you actually unplug it from the fuse panel. Unfortunately I can't be of any further help now you've checked the place where the problem happened on my own 207. Good luck and I hope you get it fixed soon :)
Thanks mate, although I would have preferred to have had to change those plugs with a bit of water damage, atleast then I would know the problem. I still dont know if it is the actual fuse box/ECU or the ABS. Frustrating!!!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts