Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, first time doing a head gasket and timing belt job on my own as it snapped on the motorway, just need to be sure that it will be timed up correctly so the engine doesn't bend some more valves:( so i put a bolt in the camshaft locking location and install the head then get the engine to top dead center somehow and install the belt? Is this method correct? Any help much appreciated :thumb:

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Install the head with the engine at TDC lock the crank at TDC fit head with pin in assume its 8 valve you dont say if so crank locking hole is at front flywheel end.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for your help but I'm wondering because it's got wet liners doesn't that mean you shouldn't turn the engine over to tdc without the head on? Also yes it's a 8v 1.4

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Should have timed up the crank first then :)

You can clamp the liners with the headbolts and suitable sleeves to take up the gap then its fine to turn the crank.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I know big mistake from me lol guess it's another
Thing to learn from and could I not just bolt the head on using the old head bolts then put it to tdc?

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Hi yes bolting head on would be fine if you have no suitable clamps

You could just fit head and then turn crank as you originally asked but you run the risk of damaging valves if your not careful

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
The locking hole for the crank is a bit hard to find its behind the oil filter sort of small hole pin goes in till you feel it drop into a hole in flywheel

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What can I use to put in the hole as I don't have the tools and it will just drop in and that's it it's locked? Then I can put the head on locked in position and the belt then it's timed?

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
An allen key does fine or a drill bit just be careful if using a drill as they are quite brittle

If crank is pinned and cam is pinned timing is correct once you remove the old head check pistons on 1 and 4 are at top of bore as sometimes the timing pin can be wrong seen this on 1.4 engines people seem to time them wrong regularly

·
Registered
2 Posts
An allen key does fine or a drill bit just be careful if using a drill as they are quite brittle

If crank is pinned and cam is pinned timing is correct once you remove the old head check pistons on 1 and 4 are at top of bore as sometimes the timing pin can be wrong seen this on 1.4 engines people seem to time them wrong regularly
have a peugeot 1.4 petrol could you explaine how to time it up I thought 1 and 4 should be all the way up and also having trouble finding the hole to lock the crank thanks ben

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Read the thread better its pretty easy pin crank pin cam pin hole is near oil filter

1 - 14 of 14 Posts