Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone.

I am new to the forum although I have viewed posts many times from members and found the information very helpful on a number of occasions. I hope someone can help me out with the following.

I have a 58 plate 207 1.6 Hdi which has had an intermittent "anti pollution fault" for some time.

Car runs great 99% of the time then for no apparent reason, it has happened on the motorway at 70mph and driving around town in traffic at 30mph, the dreaded "anti pollution fault" appears on the display and the engine cuts out. Not good at 70 on the motorway.

Having come to a stop the car restarts after 10 - 20 seconds and although the anti pollution alarm comes up on the display along with the engine management light the car runs fine.

I have had the fault come up and the engine continue to run but I would say 9 times out of 10 the engine cuts out instantly, as if you have just turned off the ignition.

I've had a friend run a diagnostic check and the only standing alarm was a diesel fuel pump fault. He suggested changing the fuel filter just in case. So the fuel filter has been changed but this hasn't made any difference.

Has anyone had a similar experience or any ideas?

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Whatever is causing the engine to cut out is causing the antipollution fault you have it backwards :)

You need live data not code reads to fix these things it could be any number of things causing the problem.

Antipollution is not actually a fault it is simply a generic warning message that SOMETHING is not working correctly

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers thanks for that.

What I find hard to fathom is the management system must see what it thinks is a very major fault, otherwise it wouldn't take the drastic action of cutting the engine.

Would I be right to think that there are only one or two faults deemed serious enough to do this?

Less serious faults should allow you to continue driving even if it is in some sort of "safe" mode.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really appreciate any help, but I do have it booked in with a ex Peugeot mechanic next week.

Assuming he gets to the bottom of the problem I'll let you know.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
looking at those I would say your fuel pressure is not being controlled very well and this WILL make the ecu shut down for safety

live data readings while driving will show spikes in the readings no doubt coinciding with the antipollution display

pump pump regulator or pressure sensor would be where to start assuming the fuel filter is new or recent as this can cause strange problems if clogged.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Should be an easy fix, take the fuel pressure regulator out the back of the fuel pump, clean it in thinners (remove the seals first) then blast it out with compressed air. Refit. 9 times out of 10 this will stop your cutting out problems as long as your pump is working as it should.

It's also worth changing your fuel filter if it's not been done.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Or it could just need a new fuel pressure regulator as it's unusual to get the open circuit fault and 900 bar of pressure at such low RPM. try the cleaning method first though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys for your feedback, I've got a guy lined up to look at it for me next week.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again

Steve

·
Registered
1 Posts
207 anti pollution fault cutting out intermitantly

did you manage to cure the fault as I'm having the same problem on my 207

Thanks guys for your feedback, I've got a guy lined up to look at it for me next week.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again

Steve

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mr john peters

My wife and I were nearly killed because of "ANTI POLLUTION WARNING".
I was driving at 60mph on a dual carriageway A road when this warning came up. The car PEUGEOT 207 lost power and would not accelerate. I coasted to a stop with HAZARD LIGHTS activated. Cars behind acknowledged and stopped except for some thoughtless idiot in a white transit who ploughed into us at 70mph and sent our vehicle spinning 360 degrees. We were both hospitalised. The car was a write-off.
I wrote to Peugeot but the reply was matter of fact, with no explanation of the fault. I shall be taking this matter elsewhere.
In conclusion, a Peugeot driver will suffer a fatality with regards to thisdangerous fault.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
a Peugeot driver will suffer a fatality with regards to thisdangerous fault.
The responsibility for the accident lies firmly on the shoulders of the van driver and not Peugeot.

If you had failed to service the vehicle and let the oil get so old and so low that the management system shut the engine down to prevent it seizing up the result would have been the same only if that was the scenario you couldn't blame Peugeot for the lack of maintenance and you sure as s**t wouldn't be blaming yourself leaving only the van driver to blame.

Peugeot are NOT the only manufacturer who uses a system which will protect the engine for certain malfunctions so going by your logic, driving any modern car will result in you suffering a fatality.

Get real.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Antipollution fault is NOT an actual fault :)

Its just peugeots way of telling you SOMETHING is wrong with the car and if you continue to drive it will cause pollution.

If the car stops running for ANY reason antipollution is likely to flag up BECAUSE OF THE REAL FAULT.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Regradless of whether youve failed to have the car serviced or not, installing a system whereby the car simply cuts off is dangerous? Ive not heard of another car manufacturer that does this?

The responsibility for the accident lies firmly on the shoulders of the van driver and not Peugeot.

If you had failed to service the vehicle and let the oil get so old and so low that the management system shut the engine down to prevent it seizing up the result would have been the same only if that was the scenario you couldn't blame Peugeot for the lack of maintenance and you sure as s**t wouldn't be blaming yourself leaving only the van driver to blame.

Peugeot are NOT the only manufacturer who uses a system which will protect the engine for certain malfunctions so going by your logic, driving any modern car will result in you suffering a fatality.

Get real.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Your TOTALLY MISSING THE POINT the fault that causes the cutting out is then causing the antipollution display.

whatever is wrong with the car is making it cut out the display is coming up BECAUSE its cutting out

The car has a fault but its NOT an antipollution fault as that is not a real fault :)

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Regradless of whether youve failed to have the car serviced or not, installing a system whereby the car simply cuts off is dangerous? Ive not heard of another car manufacturer that does this?
You are missing the point - Peugeot are not to blame ONLY the van driver is to blame. You pulled over and by your own words cars behind stopped. These drivers saw the fact you were stopped and reacted in the correct way. The van driver didn't stop and hit your stranded car.

Exactly the same thing would have happened if the reason you had stopped was because you had run out of fuel so using your logic, the manufacturer would be making a dangerous car an be responsible because they made a car that won't run without fuel.

I used to drive a Hyundai Matrix which also had this strange phenomenom of having a system that stops the car when something is wrong to prevent the damage getting worse to the point of becomming unrepairable. You really need a reality check.

·
12,088 Posts
I've driven all makes and models of cars which can jump into limp mode at the drop of a hat and rapidly decelerate the car. Its standard operating procedure. Dip the clutch and freewheel to maintain momentum.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Chances are the egr getting stuck open is causing the cutting out on the hdi. The anti pollution fault is like a engine management light, it isn't cutting the power the actual fault is

1 - 20 of 23 Posts