Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a Peugeot 207 GT (57 Plate) which I have had for just over a year now. After 6 months I had to have all the sensor pressure valves replaced because one broke after taking it to fill it up with air. The same thing has happened again 6 months later and 3 of the valves appear to be corroding. I have my car washed every week and this is ridiculous. I believe this has to be a fault with the manufacturing of the valves and I am going to report it to VOSA. Has anyone else had sensor valves break on their 207 GT or any other model? I think the 407 has a similar fault and it could even be the same parts used. Does anyone know if you can have the sensor system deactivated and have normal valves fitted to the alloys wheels?

Thanks

Alex

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

I am based in Sheffield UK do you know if this is a common issue with the 207 GT? I don't want this performance everytime I want to fill my tyres with air. Do you know if the thread part can be replaced with a different type of metal thread?

Cheers

Alex

G

·
VOSA won't be interested as it's not directly safety related as there is no record of them ever having failed in this manner while the car is on the move. You'd do far better putting pen to paper and telling pug what they think, but you've shot your bolt by persevering with the car for so long instead of threatening to reject it.

The 407 didn't have a problem so much with faulty sensors, but with sensors corroding and the threaded stem breaking off. Problem is, they can't be made out of anything heavier, like brass or stainless, as it would affect wheel balance. Canny owners of older 407s now give the stems the occasional spray with Rost Off to protect them, and such problems are now much rarer. A thin smear of Vaseline will do much the same, although attracts the dirt more.

As aforementioned, you can get the system switched off. alternatively, some people use sensors from other cars (Fords I think, but I can't remember the model) which only cost £15 each and code up correctly to the car, although they too tend to corrode and snap if not treated to the occasional spray.

PS - to avoid error messages when pumping up your tyres, over inflate them by 5 or 6 PSI, and then gently deflate the excess out down to the correct level and this resets them.

It's not a problem now you know the masonic valve care secret ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
chopper1192 said:
VOSA won't be interested as it's not directly safety related. You'd do far better putting pen to paper and telling pug what they think, but you've shot your bolt by persevering with the car for so long instead of threatening to reject it.

The 407 didn't have a problem so much with faulty sensors, but with sensors corroding and the threaded stem breaking off. Problem is, they can't be made out of anything heavier as it would affect wheel balance. Canny owners of older 407s now give the stems the occasional spray with Rost Off to protect them, and such problems are now rarer.

Nevertheless, while it's far from unheard of, the sensors themselves throwing a wobbly isn't so common.

As aforementioned, you can get the system switched off. alternatively, some people use sensors from other cars (Fords I think, but I can't remember the model) which only cost £15 each and code up correctly to the car.
VOSA won't be interested! Well if the part is corroding and failed whilst I was driving on the motorway (I drive everyday on the motorway) and the tyre deflated I think it is a major fault as I might end up in the central reservation. I stayed with the car after 6 months as I wasn't expecting it to fail again after having all the valves replaced under warranty.

My car has the same fault with the stem breaking off its probably the same part as on the 407 and I don't see spraying the valves as a solution when the car brand new was about 16k I don't expect things to fail like this.

G

·
But it didn't fail while you were driving on the motorway, did it? I mean, if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle, but she doesn't.

Write to vOSA at...

Contact Centre
The Ellipse
Padley Road
Swansea
SA1 8AN

There is no record of them failing on a car in motion, only when subject to mechanical interference. Be sure to tell us what they say when you tell them the car was stationary and you were interfering (I'm not saying mistreating) the devices. Working with VOSA as I used to, I can tell you this is outside their remit.

you don't see spraying the valves 3 or 4 times a year as a solution? What do you propose then, because fit new valves and ignore them and sooner or later it will happen again, and again, and again, and again...

30 seconds attention, 3 or 4 times a year is obviously a bit much to ask. Sure, it is in no way ideal, but take it from a multiple new peugeot owner (9 on the trot) who has never once suffered such a valve failure - 2 whole minutes attention annually, is a lot better than expensive out of warranty replacement parts.

what do you want Peugeot to do for you? Be realistic, cos they ain't about to go and machine a set out of stainless or some other none reactive metal just for you alone, and even if they did it would cock up you wheel balance. Sure, you could fit conventional valves and have the system disabled, but that will take more time than 120 seconds of attention every year and you lose the sensors, so in NET terms it's a worse solution.

So what do you realistically want from them?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
chopper1192 said:
But it didn't fail while you were driving on the motorway, did it? I mean, if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle, but she doesn't.

Write to vOSA at...

Contact Centre
The Ellipse
Padley Road
Swansea
SA1 8AN

There is no record of them failing on a car in motion, only when subject to mechanical interference. Be sure to tell us what they say when you tell them the car was stationary and you were interfering (I'm not saying mistreating) the devices. Working with VOSA as I used to, I can tell you this is outside their remit.

you don't see spraying the valves 3 or 4 times a year as a solution? What do you propose then, because fit new valves and ignore them and sooner or later it will happen again, and again, and again, and again...

30 seconds attention, 3 or 4 times a year is obviously a bit much to ask. Sure, it is in no way ideal, but take it from a multiple new peugeot owner (9 on the trot) who has never once suffered such a valve failure - 2 whole minutes attention annually, is a lot better than expensive out of warranty replacement parts.

what do you want Peugeot to do for you? Be realistic, cos they ain't about to go and machine a set out of stainless or some other none reactive metal just for you alone, and even if they did it would cock up you wheel balance. Sure, you could fit conventional valves and have the system disabled, but that will take more time than 120 seconds of attention every year and you lose the sensors, so in NET terms it's a worse solution.

So what do you realistically want from them?

Post removed - Dont abuse the members or you can bugger off and register on central, banter all you want but no abuse! - Stubbo

G

·
Childish behaviour. Grow up. Yes, it's a sh1te situation and a potentially crap choice of materials, and I do have sympthy with your plight but throwing a strop gets you no nearer to solving the problem. I'm not saying your car is not crap in this regard - I am saying VOSA won't give a monkeys, and having spent 2 years working with them I know this for true.

Both my current Peugeots, a 407 and 308, have TPS, the 407 being 5 years old with no problems whatsoever because from day one I've kept an eye on it.

My 207 before the 308 had TPS, no problems there either. What worked on my 207 would also work on yours - after all, what am I doing right that you're not? Alas, life is sometimes full of disappointment and we have to resort to little dodges to carry on quitely, and this is one of those occasions.

That's 2 current pugs with TPS, one of them 2 years older than yours, with no problems at all, so you're assertion is completely wrong. I've owned more TPS equipped pugs than you by a country mile and been fine.

The time you spent abusing me in your previous post would've been better spent giving the stems a quick squirt, then you can relax for another 3 months. You obviously care about your car to clean it so scrupulously, so i can't understand your reluctance to invest a further 30 seconds in it ever 3 months.

So, going back to the problem, what to you reasonably expect of Peugeot, because if you spout off at them like that all you'll end up with is a dialling tone and eventually 4 flat tyres. If you want to keep replacing the valves every year or so at great expense, then be my guest.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
chopper1192 said:
Childish behaviour. Grow up. Yes, it's a sh1te situation and a potentially crap choice of materials, and I do have sympthy with your plight but throwing a strop gets you no nearer to solving the problem.

Both my current Peugeots have TPS, the 407 being 5 years old with no problems whatsoever because from day one I've kept an eye on it.

My 207 before the 308 had TPS, no problems there either. What worked on my 207 would also work on yours.

That's 2 current pugs with TPS, one of them 2 years older than yours, with no problems at all, so you're assertion is completely wrong. I've owned more TPS equipped pugs than you by a country mile and been fine.

So, going back to the problem, what to you reasonably expect of Peugeot, because if you spout off at them like that all you'll end up with is a dialling tone and eventually 4 flat tyres.
Well mate you started with the childish comments. Let's put this in perspective do you expect when you buy a car to have to focus on the tyre valve to make sure it doesn't corrode on a car 16k I think not? It is poor design, engineering and choice of material. How come more expensive makes like BMW, Mercedes etc have sensor valves and don't have this issue. It's because they don't have them made in China. I have already made an FOI request to VOSA in regard to reported valve failures in relation to the 207 GT. I thank you for your advice but it shouldn't be needed if the parts of the car were of quality. I am very disappointed I love Peugeot's but this is not expectable!

G

·
Read my posts again - I do not disagree at all, it is an exceedingly inappropriate material and it causes problems. Where did you see me say otherwise? However,I made 3 observations and ask 1 question. let me make them again in a simpler form in order not to be misunderstood:

1) VOSA won't care, as the description of the situation you give falls out their remit. I'm a policeman and spent 2 years on attachment to VOSA until last spring, so know first hand exactly what they get up to.

2) Replacing the valves is fine, but ignore them and there is a very good likelyhood of them failing again before too long. Once the warranty is up the expense then falls to you.

3) Keeping them clean and giving them a squirt with a quality penetrant and anti-corrosion fluid (I use Rost Off) every 3 months solves the problem entirely. I also went on to describe how the procedure takes about 30 seconds, so about 2 minutes attention a year.

I do not disagree that it's crap - I merely point out that it is the way it is, and saying "what if" and swearing gets you no closer to a solution.

Now, i gather you would like it sorted, and quite understandably so. My real world suggestion for sorting it is unwelcome, so in point 4 I ask...

4) What do you reasonably expect Peugeot to do for you? (emphasis on the word 'reasonably').

PS, I've had an E65 7 series (wealthy ex wife at the time) and 2 of the sensors crumbled when I had new tyres fitted, and that's on top of the immobiliser fault that wouldn't go away - that one car alone had more faults than every pug I've owned combined, so you could've picked a better example. MB sensors do suffer to, so that's an even worse example - MB finish is a source of much complaint, and has been for the last 7 or 8 years. Ford group ones suffer, but have a replaceable stem, which is probably a good idea, but then taking the car to the garage and having the stem replaced takes more time and costs a lot more than simply giving a quick squirt in the first place...

·
Registered
134 Posts
sensors

hi,,alex
bmw,merc etc,,,, DO have the same fault!!!
to anyone with tps eq'd vehicles its very,very simple.
carry out your routine maintenance,including a tiny bit of grease on the valve thread and YOU WILL NOT have any valve corosion.
working in the dealers myself know that most occasions is because people from one service to the next don't bother checking them until it flashes up.toddy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
chopper1192 said:
Read my posts again - I do not disagree at all, it is an exceedingly inappropriate material and it causes problems. Where did you see me say otherwise? However,I made 3 observations and ask 1 question. let me make them again in a simpler form in order not to be misunderstood:

1) VOSA won't care, as the description of the situation you give falls out their remit. I'm a policeman and spent 2 years on attachment to VOSA until last spring, so know first hand exactly what they get up to.

2) Replacing the valves is fine, but ignore them and there is a very good likelyhood of them failing again before too long. Once the warranty is up the expense then falls to you.

3) Keeping them clean and giving them a squirt with a quality penetrant and anti-corrosion fluid (I use Rost Off) every 3 months solves the problem entirely. I also went on to describe how the procedure takes about 30 seconds, so about 2 minutes attention a year.

I do not disagree that it's crap - I merely point out that it is the way it is, and saying "what if" and swearing gets you no closer to a solution.

Now, i gather you would like it sorted, and quite understandably so. My real world suggestion for sorting it is unwelcome, so in point 4 I ask...

4) What do you reasonably expect Peugeot to do for you? (emphasis on the word 'reasonably').
I will respond to your points clearly made:

1) VOSA class it out of their remit. Its a manufacturing fault so I don't think it does.

2) I agree Peugeot will say its out of warranty soon thats why I am reporting it to VOSA. If they don't take note I will have to go further.

3) I can do what you prescribe but its pathetic and should not be needed. You may expect to do this for a LADA but not a Peugeot.

4) I expect a car that does not fail mechanically within less than 3 years.

G

·
1) i worked there - it's not an immediate threat to safety, as it only happens on stationary cars when tools are placed against the stem. Stems that are not 'interfered' with DO NOT fail or fall off. Same is true of BMW and other makes that uiffer. I know, cos I worked there. They work by the corporate "if my aunt had balls" method to determine if it's a genuine fault or someone crying 'what if?'

2) Yes, BUT WHAT DO YOU REASONABLY WANT PEUGEOT TO DO ABOUT IT? That's the 3rd tiome I've asked and you still haven't answered. You need to come up with an idea of what you reasonably want them to do to resolve the issue for you before you approach them. Peugeot will just giggle about VOSA because of point 1).

3) Yes, I agree to some extent? however, a squirt takes less time than topping up the screenwash or changing a blown bulb, so I wouldn't get too poetical about how much of an inconvenience it is.

4) It hasn't mechanically fallen apart - that's an exaggeration and that type of talk will serve only to negate your position when dealing with them. Keep it polite, firm, and factual.

To be fair though, I can't see why you would be so angry you would spend over an hour on here discussing it on the one hand, but then not so concerned you're not prepared to invest 2 minutes a year of your time on the other. It doesn't make sense.

Now, you're valve stem failed - what do you want them to do to stop it happening again? Back to 1) again - a new valve will only go south after a while, so what do you suggest?

On the one hand you consider yourself such an expert that you've determined it to be a matter for VOSA, yet on the other you can not come up with a practical solution to physically solve the problem - You can't have it both ways.

If Peugeot invite you to the dealers to sort it, what do you want the technician to physically do to your car? This is the situation you want, so you need to decide what you want before you ask it.

Finally, be prepared for them to ask why yours keep failing but other peoples don't. As Toddy says, what I do is a part of the service (though because I use a jetwasher I squirt mine quarterly) at a conscientious dealers, and if it is done the car will not suffer this failure. So what is going wrong? Is it not being serviced assisuously, is someone jetwashing the car or putting it through a car wash, or what.

Why yours and not, for example, any of mine, despite one being nearly twice as old? Know precicely what you want in non hysterical, grown up, plain english terms, and be prepared for potentially uncomfortable questions in return.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
chopper1192 said:
1) i worked there - it's not an immediate threat to safety, as it only happens on stationary cars when tools are placed against the stem. Stems that are not 'interfered' with DO NOT fail or fall off. Same is true of BMW and other makes that uiffer. I know, cos I worked there. They work by the corporate "if my aunt had balls" method to determine if it's a genuine fault or someone crying 'what if?'

2) Yes, BUT WHAT DO YOU REASONABLY WANT PEUGEOT TO DO ABOUT IT? That's the 3rd tiome I've asked and you still haven't answered. You need to come up with an idea of what you reasonably want them to do to resolve the issue for you before you approach them. Peugeot will just giggle about VOSA because of point 1).

3) Yes, I agree to some extent? however, a squirt takes less time than topping up the screenwash or changing a blown bulb, so I wouldn't get too poetical about how much of an inconvenience it is.

4) It hasn't mechanically fallen apart - that's an exaggeration and that type of talk will serve only to negate your position when dealing with them. Keep it polite, firm, and factual.

To be fair though, I can't see why you would be so angry you would spend over an hour on here discussing it on the one hand, but then not so concerned you're not prepared to invest 2 minutes a year of your time on the other. It doesn't make sense.

Now, you're valve stem failed - what do you want them to do to stop it happening again? Back to 1) again - a new valve will only go south after a while, so what do you suggest?

On the one hand you consider yourself such an expert that you've determined it to be a matter for VOSA, yet on the other you can not come up with a practical solution to physically solve the problem - You can't have it both ways.

If Peugeot invite you to the dealers to sort it, what do you want the technician to physically do to your car? This is the situation you want, so you need to decide what you want before you ask it.

Finally, be prepared for them to ask why yours keep failing but other peoples don't. As Toddy says, what I do is a part of the service (though because I use a jetwasher I squirt mine quarterly) at a conscientious dealers, and if it is done the car will not suffer this failure. So what is going wrong? Is it not being serviced assisuously, is someone jetwashing the car or putting it through a car wash, or what.

Why yours and not, for example, any of mine, despite one being nearly twice as old? Know precicely what you want in non hysterical, grown up, plain english terms, and be prepared for potentially uncomfortable questions in return.
Well as you state your cars are of not the same year so not the same manufacturing standards or material. Therefore your comments are not valid you don't have experience of my situation.

1) You say its not an immediate threat but the valve is under pressure so could fracture at any time.

2) My alloys are cleaned every week including valves so why should I have to treat my valves. I don't see this in the handbook / service details.

3) I can do this but it isn't a solution its preventing something that shouldn't happen.

4) I'll keep it factual it is poor design / material.

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
ALEXSPOD said:
You sound like a fucking car sales men, do you suck their balls. Have you ever owned a car with the pressure sensors? Probably not I take it. If you have exact experience with this fault I would listen but you obviously don't! I expect from Peugeot a car I don't have to replace valves every 6 months. My car is cleaned every week. I have owned a 206 before so don't say I don't have experience with Peugeots plus my other car is a 307cc so I know my cars dick!
The next post like that will be your last , argue all you want but do not insult people .:topic:

Sorry martin, i removed the offending post before i got this far down! didnt realise you'd given a warning :D - Stubbo

G

·
ALEXSPOD said:
Well as you state your cars are of not the same year so not the same manufacturing standards or material. Therefore your comments are not valid you don't have experience of my situation.

1) You say its not an immediate threat but the valve is under pressure so could fracture at any time.

2) My alloys are cleaned every week including valves so why should I have to treat my valves. I don't see this in the handbook / service details.

3) I can do this but it isn't a solution its preventing something that shouldn't happen.

4) I'll keep it factual it is poor design / material.
1) And my aunt could fart at any time. None have failed while driving, so what makes you think yours suddenly will. they only fail when they are subject to mechanical interference.

2) True. The handbook also fails to tell you not to chuck paint stripper over the bodywork. it can't cover every eventuality, and has to assume some a) common sense, and b) that the vehicle will be properly serviced and maintained.

3) My tip is not a solution. It is something conscientious dealers do during a service. I use a jetwasher, so back it up with more regular applications. that said, as far from ideal as it is, this method stops the failure - period.

4) I would agree it is far from ideal. However, what's a solution? You could have 4 spanking new valves tomorrow, and by December they could be flaky again if left in the raw.

It seems you have 2 choices - be prepared to lube them (or ensure your dealer does when he services them), or put up with it and be prepared to spunk the cash every year or so. I can't see a third alternative, so it should be an easy decision.

you can't have it both ways - you can't be so scared that you fear a fiery death, but then not scared enough to invest 30 seconds of time protecting your own life.

Squirt, or don't squirt and put up. That's the reality. It's not nice, it's perhaps not right, and it's probably fattening too, but that is simply the way it is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rost off ice

Hey there,

Sorry to jump on such an old thread!

I have recently aquired a 207 GT and I'm quite happy to apply the masonic valve care secret without whining.

The question is, will this stuff do it, Rost Off Ice:

Wurth Rost Off Ice: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

Or will the icey coldness do my valves harm? Quite happy to find some regular Rost Off, but a mate of mine has some Rostoff ice that I can borrow.

Cheers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.