Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I have a peugeot 206 1.4 02 model. My problem in that the car seems to be overheating very quickly and my revs seem to have got higher and I also have oil in water (mayonaisy water). Have checked the head gasket which seems to be fine. Not sure if my fan is kicking in either so could that cause the water problem. :confused:

Please any suggestions would help. Thanks.

G

·
Hi - and welcome.

You mentioned mayo water... have you spotted "mayo" in the header tank, or in the oil filler?

It is usually seen in the oil filler, but finding it anywhere is usually not good.

Can you check the oil filler too for signs?

You can sometimes get it on some cars in the oil filler and it can be down to condensation, but finding it in the water header tank IS BAD as there should never be oil in there, obviously!

You saythe head gasket is ok? How did you get it tested? The nest "modern" way to test is with a sniffer kit - uit checks for exhaust gases in the water header tank so again, if any are in there, it can only come from the head gasket leaking into a waterway.

Fans? - many people never see or hear them, so unless the temp gauge on the dash is way high, I would not worry right now.

Whats probably best is to get the water tank sniffed, and then assuming its clear, get the cooling system flushed out. A neat trick to help clean it is actually to add injector cleaner to the water.. sounds loopy, but helps clean the mayo out! Refill the coolant again... and then I would change the oil and filter, as if there is water in the oil too, then that could cost you an engine if not rectiifed.

Whatever the problem is, please dont ignore it.

David

·
Registered
1 Posts
purple lady said:
Hi there, I have a peugeot 206 1.4 02 model. My problem in that the car seems to be overheating very quickly and my revs seem to have got higher and I also have oil in water (mayonaisy water). Have checked the head gasket which seems to be fine. Not sure if my fan is kicking in either so could that cause the water problem. :confused:

Please any suggestions would help. Thanks.
Did you ever find an answer to the above?

I have a 206 1.4 auto w reg that has the exact same problem. It's got oil in the coolant expansion tank, revs slightly higher.

Would be nice to hear if you solved this, its got me baffled!!!!

Thanks blacknight63

·
Registered
534 Posts
"Mayo" on the oil filler cap can be caused by just doing short trips and never letting the engine warm up properly. A 50 - 70 mile trip will cure this if it is. However, if it is more serious, a 50 / 70 mile trip will not be good for the engine at all.

However, (there's always a "however") if it has come on recently and your driving habits have not changed, it may also be a sign of a leaking head gasket or a cracked cylinder head. The "Mayo" is an emulsion of oil and water. Once it gets to this state, the lubrication and heat dispersion properties of the oil/water mixture go downhill.

You may experience lumpy running and/or white smoke from the exhaust and/or a noticeable loss of coolant. Theoretically, higher revving could be caused by "water injection"; the induction stroke of the piston draws in water from the cooling system, the ignition of the mixture in the cylinder then turns the water to steam, which provides a little more power, and hence the slightly higher revving.

If the head / head gasket has gone, the compression on a cylinder affected by this will be slightly lower because, when the piston rises on the compression stroke, some of the volume escapes into the cooling system. If it's just condensation from short trips, the compression will be stable across the cylinders.

Solution, get the compression tested on the cylinders and a pressure test on the cooling system - it shouldn't cost that much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts