Peugeot Forums banner

Peugeot 206 2.0 HDI cranking but not starting

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  oxygen 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have a Peugeot 206 2.0 HDI from 2003 and lately it has begun not starting at the first key. It would usually start after a couple of tries, but today it did not start at all. It cranks, there is enough current from the battery, but it just wont start.

I am suspecting the immobilizer, but I am not sure. I think the problems started after I changed the battery on the key myself. And it usually is much worse when I use the key with the battery, but it sometimes does not start immediately even with the backup key. I've already changed all the plugs on it and there is no improvement.

How can I diagnose the problem? From what I remember when it's the immobilizer it would display and Immobilizer fault on the display, but now it doesn't display anything. It just cranks without starting, no alarms, no errors, nothing. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

#2 ·
immobiliser problem sounds reasonable. You could maybe get the key signal reset/checked (I don't know how!)

Could be faulty crankshaft sensor or connection to it. Does rev counter flicker when cranking over.

Try making sure there's a good earth from battery to engine

#3 ·
Sometimes the rev counter moves, but today it did not. The battery has been replaced about a year ago and I am pretty sure it's not a current problem, as when I had problems with the battery before the windshield wipers would flicker a bit and all the lights would go out. How might I test any of those options? I had it in service and they put a computer on it and said they couldn't find any errors.

#5 ·
You need to check live data to help highlight the fault, it could be a failing starter (common on 2.0 HDI) not cranking the engine fast enough to hit RPM or fuel pressure threshold for starting (approx 200 RPM and 250 Bar fuel pressure). Or as suggested Crank or possibly cam sensor (live data should show crank/cam sync and cranking speed)

Reactions: amiejane
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.