Peugeot Forums banner

Peugeot 206 1.4i Petrol - Clutch diagnosis

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Kgarv 
#1 ·
I think there is an issue with my clutch but unsure if it is pedal itself, clutch cable or entire clutch.

Pedal travel is fine (although a little soft but only a little), pedal seems very loose when you just touch it before engaging/disengaging clutch pedal (is this the nut at the clutch pedal needing tightening up or clutch cable).

If smooth with clutch, it works perfectly but a little too fast it is a tad jerky when biting point is released without gas.

Car feels fine when moving off and changing from gear to hear (no loss of speed versus engine revs)

Anyone have an idea what may need doing? And if so, how much to put right approximately? Car still very drivable and I'm thinking of selling the car as I can't afford too many more repairs due to financial woes. Thanks.

#3 ·
Pedal travel is fine (although a little soft but only a little), pedal seems very loose when you just touch it before engaging/disengaging clutch pedal (is this the nut at the clutch pedal needing tightening up or clutch cable).
On a cable clutch there is always a specified amount of free play at the top of travel, usually equates to something like 10mm at the pedal. The cable should not be under constant tension as this puts load on the release bearing.

The pedal shouldn't be completely sloppy (if it is, the return spring should be inspected) and there shouldn't be excessive side play (pivot shaft).

If smooth with clutch, it works perfectly but a little too fast it is a tad jerky when biting point is released without gas
That sounds perfectly normal to me. All the PSA cars I've driven (from memory) have a relatively 'precise' clutch bite point and they all hop a bit if you're engaging the clutch on idle.

Anyone have an idea what may need doing?
From the available information so far - nothing.

#4 ·
On a cable clutch there is always a specified amount of free play at the top of travel, usually equates to something like 10mm at the pedal. The cable should not be under constant tension as this puts load on the release bearing.

The pedal shouldn't be completely sloppy (if it is, the return spring should be inspected) and there shouldn't be excessive side play (pivot shaft).

That sounds perfectly normal to me. All the PSA cars I've driven (from memory) have a relatively 'precise' clutch bite point and they all hop a bit if you're engaging the clutch on idle.

From the available information so far - nothing.
Where would I locate the clutch pedal return spring and how would I go about adjusting it. Until I engage the clutch pedal, there is a bit of slop just touching it at the top feels loosey goosey so that's worrying it. Also I noticed when I had the window down, there is a noise when car is idling until I engage the clutch pedal. Could that be a tell tale sign of something to inspect.

I spent so much money on the car with repair after repair and trying to sell it (knowing I made a biggish loss with the car) I'm struggling to decent a decent offer on it which is a shame.

#5 ·
If a return spring is fitted, it's unlikely to be adjustable - it's either broken or it's not.

Push the clutch pedal with your finger - it should go down a little (10mm ish) and come back up when you let go. Or it should just have some play. Quite honestly it's most likely nothing to worry about unless it's rattling around like it's about to fall off.

A bit of noise when idling in neutral is also perfectly normal - I obviously can't hear the noise so can't say with certainty but release bearings and input shafts often make a little noise. They can make a lot of noise when broken or worn out...

Do you have anyone local to you who knows what they're on about but doesn't stand to make money by lying to you?

Or where are you? Maybe someone on here could take a quick look and either give you a hint or put your mind at rest...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.