Peugeot Forums banner

Peugeot 206 1.4 8v starting issue

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  blue206307 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm new to this site, joined because I have a problem with my car and I'm wondering if anyone can help me fix it.
A couple of weeks ago, I bought a 2007 Peugeot 206 Look 3 door 1.4 8 valve petrol (with a very high clutch biting point). I haven't had many problems with it thus far but I'm having an issue when starting it. When starting from cold, the engine cranks but will refuse to start unless the accelerator is pressed. This means that when it does start it revs a lot which over time will annoy the neighbours. When the engine is warm though it starts every time on the first try with no throttle, and it runs sweet as a nut. My 307 2.0 litre turbo diesel has never had any problems like this.

I've heard this can be a common problem with pug 206s and I've looked at forums and everybody says different things, and people contradict each other saying their methods of fixing the issue don't work. So, has anyone else experienced the same problem as me and have you been able to fix it? its done 86,000 miles so something probably is due replacing. its not a serious fault but it is annoying. Would a good service solve the issues or is it something more serious? Any help on the matter would be much appreciated.

#3 ·
I would start with cleaning the throttle body butterfly with some carb cleaner as the first thing.

If you have access to planet/diagbox or a code reader that does live data also worth checking coolant sensor value when starting to see if the figure is realistic as they sometimes fail and show a warm engine even when cold

#4 ·
Okay thank you for your advice. I think I could be the temp sensor because I've noticed the temperature gauge is a bit all over the place. On one journey the other day, the temperature gauge didn't rise at all for the first 5 miles. Then I switched the engine off, and when I turned it back on two minutes later it had risen from 0 to 70 degrees, and on the way back, it had fallen back down to about 40. I will let you know if I fix it thank you for your help.

#5 ·
I replaced several temperature sensors & a couple of thermostats over my 13 years of 206 TU3 ownership.

For the temperature sensor - just match the connector plug colour up to get the correct replacement.

Should be either green or blue - have a look under your bonnet to get the correct one.

#6 ·
Thank you for your advice. Do the symptoms I've said about engine trouble and weird temperature readings indicate a broken temperature sensor then?

Also, if you haven't seen it already, the video I linked before is exactly the problem i'm having, just on a 206 not a 207.

#7 ·
Just a quick update: car is till hard to start. sometimes it will start perfectly from cold with no throttle, sometimes it needs throttle to start it. A mechanic I trust has told me it is likely the temperature sensor giving false readings and/or dirty throttle body/map sensor. The car is going in for a replacement cambelt, water pump and idler pulley so i will get the temp sensor done then and i will let you know if it fixes the problem.

#9 ·
I didn't replace the temperature sensor. I jump started the car and the engine warning light came on for a day or two, and by the time I took it to my mate who has a code reader, it had cleared itself. There was lots of codes but there was one code for idle speed sensor, which i think is what was causing the issues. We cleared the codes and tried to start the car, but it was bouncing from 1000-500rpm and pressing the accelerator would do anything. All of a sudden though it just started running perfectly again and it hasn't done it ever since, so I would recommend getting the codes read.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.