Peugeot Forums banner

Peugeot 206 1.4 2001 crank but won't start

14K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Miarau 
#1 ·
Hello guys,

I really need your help because i am in a dead end...

A few days ago i was driving when suddenly car begins to loose power and i started to change gears down to see if it will wake him up but no way! I had to stop and all the light in the dashboard come on. I tried to start the car and it will crank but won't start.

I checked the fuses but everything seems fine.

I checked if the fuel pump worked and when i turned the key i heared a hum and then it stopped. if a turn off and then on no sound from the fuel pump. Don't know if it is normal...

I took the fuel line that connects to the injectors out and when i crank the engine no fuel comes out..

Do you have any idea?

Fuel pump?
Fuel pump relay?
Hiding fuse?
ECU dead?

Thanks in advance. :(

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks but no chance... earth connections are good. Sometimes the car almost start but no luck.

- Fuses are ok.
- Fuel pump makes humming noise when ignition on
- all car electronic works (wipers, lights, beeping when the door is open...)

Help please

#8 ·
Very basically, for the engine to run you need spark and fuel. [this assuming all timing functions are correct]

Fuel out of the pipe means nothing if it is not up to a working pressure.

Quick way to test that you have spark is to spray a bit of quickstart into the air filter intake and try to start. If it fires up briefly, you most likely have a fuel supply issue. You will then need to determine if your fuel pressure is good; if yes, are injectors opening etc.

You may have far more complex issues to do with timing, sensors etc but start with the basic testing, doing one test at a time, to get you headed in the right direction.

#10 ·
I don't believe that it's spinning faster but i will check the timing belt first and then i will spray the air intake to see what happens.

Maybe a stupid question but, It must be quickstart spray or do you know any substitute that will work?

#15 ·
My fuel pump was making a definite clunk a few months ago. Maybe a few weeks ago the sound changed and the car started having difficulties starting. I checked the electrical connector at the pump to find it was slightly corroded (green). I cleaned the contacts and checked the wires and was ok. I think the pump was tired as it wasn't a clunk anymore it was a clunk followed by a whirring sound (I'm a bit deaf). I ordered a replacement pump (not the full unit) When I removed the unit from the tank it had 'dirty' fuel coming out looked like brushes had been wearing in the pump. I'm still not 100% as what the pressure is I might invest in a pressure tester off fleabay. My lexia 3 told me I had a short or open on injector 3 (changed). I'm currently investigating the temperature sensor. Forgot to say turn your ignition on several times so you hear the pump if you hear it this could pressurise the system

#16 ·
Hi guys

thanks for all your help guys!

I finally solved (i think...) my problem! I took my fuel pump out to connect to an external 12 volt to see it working. Nothing... The pump makes normal noise but nothing is pumped. I decided to replace the entire pump and after 3 or 4 cranks it started to work! Finally i have my car back!

206 back on the road! :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.