Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I really need your help because i am in a dead end...

A few days ago i was driving when suddenly car begins to loose power and i started to change gears down to see if it will wake him up but no way! I had to stop and all the light in the dashboard come on. I tried to start the car and it will crank but won't start.

I checked the fuses but everything seems fine.

I checked if the fuel pump worked and when i turned the key i heared a hum and then it stopped. if a turn off and then on no sound from the fuel pump. Don't know if it is normal...

I took the fuel line that connects to the injectors out and when i crank the engine no fuel comes out..

Do you have any idea?

Fuel pump?
Fuel pump relay?
Hiding fuse?
ECU dead?

Thanks in advance. :(

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi,

I had what appears to be the same symptoms with my 1.1 a couple of years ago. Car just cut out one morning and the dash lights went mental.

Turned out it was a corroded earth lead so be sure to get that checked.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks but no chance... earth connections are good. Sometimes the car almost start but no luck.

- Fuses are ok.
- Fuel pump makes humming noise when ignition on
- all car electronic works (wipers, lights, beeping when the door is open...)

Help please

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
You say fuel pump hums but if it hums it should pump fuel out you say its not so it must be either the pump is not pumping fuel or there is no fuel in the tank.

NEVER believe the fuel gauge :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After some cranking i disconnected the hose that is connected on the left upper side of the injectors and fuel was coming out... but still won't start.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Very basically, for the engine to run you need spark and fuel. [this assuming all timing functions are correct]

Fuel out of the pipe means nothing if it is not up to a working pressure.

Quick way to test that you have spark is to spray a bit of quickstart into the air filter intake and try to start. If it fires up briefly, you most likely have a fuel supply issue. You will then need to determine if your fuel pressure is good; if yes, are injectors opening etc.

You may have far more complex issues to do with timing, sensors etc but start with the basic testing, doing one test at a time, to get you headed in the right direction.

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
It is possible your timing belt has gone if it has the engine will sound like it is spinning faster than it normally would on the starter this could well be the real issue

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't believe that it's spinning faster but i will check the timing belt first and then i will spray the air intake to see what happens.

Maybe a stupid question but, It must be quickstart spray or do you know any substitute that will work?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I don't believe that it's spinning faster but i will check the timing belt first and then i will spray the air intake to see what happens.

Maybe a stupid question but, It must be quickstart spray or do you know any substitute that will work?
I expect electrical contact cleaning spray would work - it's largely alcohol (non-potable, I hasten to add!).

Don't use WD40 - It will gum up the inlet tract.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to both.

I will try that tomorrow. :thumb:

I forgot to say that the day after the car breakdown, i tried to start it and in fact he did start but shutdown after 2 or 3 seconds. From that day it never started again...

·
Registered
22 Posts
My fuel pump was making a definite clunk a few months ago. Maybe a few weeks ago the sound changed and the car started having difficulties starting. I checked the electrical connector at the pump to find it was slightly corroded (green). I cleaned the contacts and checked the wires and was ok. I think the pump was tired as it wasn't a clunk anymore it was a clunk followed by a whirring sound (I'm a bit deaf). I ordered a replacement pump (not the full unit) When I removed the unit from the tank it had 'dirty' fuel coming out looked like brushes had been wearing in the pump. I'm still not 100% as what the pressure is I might invest in a pressure tester off fleabay. My lexia 3 told me I had a short or open on injector 3 (changed). I'm currently investigating the temperature sensor. Forgot to say turn your ignition on several times so you hear the pump if you hear it this could pressurise the system

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi guys

thanks for all your help guys!

I finally solved (i think...) my problem! I took my fuel pump out to connect to an external 12 volt to see it working. Nothing... The pump makes normal noise but nothing is pumped. I decided to replace the entire pump and after 3 or 4 cranks it started to work! Finally i have my car back!

206 back on the road! :thumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts