Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this car and was told when buying it that it would not be power steering because of its age so I was like ok fair enough so was hard steering but got home and had a good check and guess what there's a power steering pump bud there's no beltcso I'm guessing electric steering. But big question is whys it so stiff there's no noise or sqweeking I've checked the fuse and that's ok but what could it be let me know thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
I bought this car and was told when buying it that it would not be power steering because of its age so I was like ok fair enough so was hard steering but got home and had a good check and guess what there's a power steering pump bud there's no beltcso I'm guessing electric steering. But big question is whys it so stiff there's no noise or sqweeking I've checked the fuse and that's ok but what could it be let me know thanks
Could be anything. lack of fluid (not sure if electric PS has fluid?) Dodgy wiring, bad steering rack. If its electronic then its likely to be connected to an ecu or control unit. First step I would suggest is plug it in to planet and see if there are any error codes.

Planet Map

·
2,282 Posts
oh boy I must be bored...lol....having a quick search on egay for a 106/saxo power steering pump I have found a couple of electric ones...so...im sure yours is electric so yes to Commando, could be an electical fault..

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yes mate it has the fluid and it looks fine and I cant not as not got the money for it done
the planet map is a list of members with Peugeot planet diagnostic. Its a very good tool specifically for Peugeot to diagnose problems. A lot of members will do it for nothing, some for beer tokens and some for the cost of the fuel. The only way you can find out is to ask members that are close to you. Hence the planet map.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks and I know nothing about cars hahs only just passed my test and hopefully be on the road Tuesday and I changed the fuse with the spare one and still same but at times if I go fast to the left it's hardish at first and then fast turning right it eaesxa bit but that's just staying in same place as I can't go on road yet

·
2,282 Posts
Hi....good luck let us know what it like when you on the move...check tyre pressures as well....read the hand book...learn how to change the spare wheel check your fluid levels...all in the book...be safe.....:thumb:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will let you know lad and just hope to get more info on it is there any tips I could do before I get on road

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks and I know nothing about cars hahs only just passed my test and hopefully be on the road Tuesday and I changed the fuse with the spare one and still same but at times if I go fast to the left it's hardish at first and then fast turning right it eaesxa bit but that's just staying in same place as I can't go on road yet
Out of interest what colour is the PS fluid? Should be a bright red. Best thing you can do is read the handbook and use the search function on the forum. There is so much useful information on here. There is bound to have been someone with a similar issue. May suggest a few things you could look at. But if your wanting to stick with the Peugeot then investing in a planet diagnostic for your self is a good investment in my opinion. Generic code readers don't work on these cars only planet will. There not that expensive either now. have seen a couple of posts recently which have links to kits sub £100. For what planet does it is worth every penny.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Saying that the colour does look red but black too so redy black colour pal and I'll have to save up for one then? but ye want to keep the car as it's really clean for its age it's got 75 on the clock just the steering is the issue

·
Registered
187 Posts
Saying that the colour does look red but black too so redy black colour pal and I'll have to save up for one then? but ye want to keep the car as it's really clean for its age it's got 75 on the clock just the steering is the issue
Its certainly worth investing in if you want to keep the Peugeot. If the fluid is red/black then may be worth changing it. I have no idea how you would go about that. A Haynes manual wouldn't go a miss either. can be handy in helping you figure things out. saying that sign up for a free account on servicebox. big database with part numbers on, can be handy when your not sure which part you need. You can also get a subscription with them and get all the technical drawings.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay I'll have ago changing it but I thought to what about the pipes might they be blocked and full of dirt with it being a old car

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Yes, system is almost entirely sealed so all the dirt is on the outside but if you can prove motor is getting power then it could be worth stripping it down (& cleaning it) to find the problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts