Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
peugeot 407 battery/alarm storage

i have a 56 plate 407sw 2.2hdi. I have declared it sorn as I don't need it on the road til next spring, and it is sat on the drive doing nothing.

the battery is a bosch battery that I fitted last year so relatively new.

the alarm started going off this evening as the battery had died.i couldn't stop it by disconnecting the green terminal, so had to connect it to my other car, and charge it off that. im hoping the 30 mins its run will be enough to at least get it through the night.

i suspect the battery is being drained by an electrical fault somewhere on the car, but don't really want to have to work on it until the spring.

is there any way i can disconnect anything, presumably the battery?, so that the car is basically dead for the winter? and a way that will allow me to start it again if/when needed eg to move it etc (although this is unlikely)

in the spring i intend to spend some money on it, new clutch, timing belt etc, but i don't need the car til then and dotn have the time now to be honest (will do some basic workmyself)

luckily i was working in my lounge tonight when it went off, if i was in bed id have ha dno chance of hearing it but my neighbours would! need to make sure its not likely to go off asap

grateful for any help

C

·
0 Posts
Just check the rear screen ain't popping open as it's a known fault on the sw that can cause battery drain as it keeps bsi awake.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea it does do that, I fact I think it was you who emailed me the info about it. Is it an option just to disconnect the battery for the winter and deal with the issue in the spring?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if i disconnect both terminals on the battery will tht ensure the alarm wont go off? also will it simply be a case of reconnecting the battery in 5/6 months and the car will just work? don't really want to run it every day just to keep the battery going

·
Registered
677 Posts
if i disconnect both terminals on the battery will tht ensure the alarm wont go off? also will it simply be a case of reconnecting the battery in 5/6 months and the car will just work? don't really want to run it every day just to keep the battery going
Can't say if the battery will stay fully charged but the car will be totally dead !

I opened my bonnet and locked the car using the drivers door lock, waited 3 mins till display went off then i disconnected the negative terminal 1st then the other .
when i reconnected it i unlocked the drivers door and opened the bonnet then i left the keys in the door (mk2 granadas use to lock upon reconnection)! I then reconnected the battery red 1st and waited 5 mins i then opened the door and turned ignition on and started it up :thumb:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im happy to take the risk of having to recharge the battery, so if i do that and dont touch the car for say 6 months will the car work ok so long as fitted with a charged battery?
thanks

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
Yes provided you disconnect the battery in the proper manner it will be fine just leave it off and alarm will be dead too :)

Reconnect properly and it should all come back to life in 6 months time check your antifreeze though

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok thanks. when you say check the antifreeze what should I be checking for? also if I needed to get into the car for any reason could I still manually open the drivers door with the key?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks. just been to the car and its totally dead, nothing at all. got it connected to one of my others via jump leads and still dead after 5 mins, conenctions definitely made all ok etc. is that normal? normally ive been able to see interior lights etc instantly. im worried the alarm will go off and not be able to do anything about it!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts