Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i'm asking because there is a four wire plug plugged into the fuel pump under the back seat. i dont here the pump when i switch on the ignition the engine turns nicely but wont start but will start when its pushed.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
As it starts when pushed it does not sound like fuel is the problem. It is possible that the battery is run down or near end-of-life, such that the current draw when operating the starter reduces the voltage to the ignition circuits below the acceptable level.

Try charging the battery.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi ian. thanks for the advice. i forgot to mention i also unclipped the fuel pipe from the fuel rail and got my wife to turn over the engine but no petrol was being pumped out

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
It still does not make sense that the pump would work when the car was push started, other than the fact that the battery is massively loaded by the starter, which could rob the BSI processor of sufficient voltage to control the pump.

I still say charge the battery. If that works, check the voltage with the engine off and on. It should be at least 1 Volt higher with the engine running. If it isn't, suspect the alternator.

If charging the battery didn't work, check the voltage with the engine off. It should be at least 12.4. If not, suspect the battery.

·
2,504 Posts
Hi...I havnt had a petrol car for years now but im ure the fuel pump has to 'feel' some resistance in the fuel line or should a pipe fracture while driving /accident the pump wont run ,emptying the tank...merry xmas.
ps ..if im wrong someone will pop along and correct me....

·
Registered
14,645 Posts
Fuel pump will run at key on for a few seconds then stops only restarting if engine runs so it wont pump while cranking only at key on as above safety feature.

if car starts with a push then the pump is working as it would not start with no pump sounds like might be a wiring issue and not enough getting to the pump while cranking.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi ian. sorry i didnt answered you sooner. since we last texted the heater has packed up but the engine will now start after switching on ignition for about 15 seconds, can you figure that out, are the two connected. thanks for the advice you gave me.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
hi reliable. thanks for your reply. when i first opened the thread, the pump didnt work when I switched on the ignition, since then the heater has packed and engine starts after about 15 seconds

1 - 9 of 9 Posts