Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience with the 308s being a little juddery when started, from cold and driving off in first gear. Mine is the 1.4 petrol version and is 18 months old.

This is usually worse with the head lights on, and is usually fine after a few minutes of driving. If the weather is hot it doesnt seem to do this either.

I just booked the car in for his first 20,000 service, the guy who booked it in said he hasnt heard of this one before!

Thanks for any tips.

J

·
0 Posts
If worse with headlights on, that points towards the battery/alternator to me :nod:

J

·
0 Posts
Your battery will have had a heavy drain on it when starting, which then needs to be recharged. It could be that the battery isn't charging properly/quick enough, or the alternator isn't putting out enough amps. I had it years ago on a Rover, and that was a faulty alternator. Do the lights dim when this happens?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your battery will have had a heavy drain on it when starting, which then needs to be recharged. It could be that the battery isn't charging properly/quick enough, or the alternator isn't putting out enough amps. I had it years ago on a Rover, and that was a faulty alternator. Do the lights dim when this happens?
Not that Im aware, and the car starts very well.

·
11,992 Posts
A car needs five minutes of running with no additional electrical load (heaters, lights) to replace the lost energy from every second of starting.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A car needs five minutes of running with no additional electrical load (heaters, lights) to replace the lost energy from every second of starting.
I think we are going down a red herring route now, as no previous car has ever done this. So lets not theorise that a fault or unusual behaviour is a symptom of how a car should be, which is only 18 months old.

J

·
0 Posts
This maybe theory, but if you do have a battery/alternator problem, it could also make sense. I take it you don't want to get them checked? You can get the battery checked for free at Halfords, and most garages should be able to hook it up and test the alternator at idle and under load. Just because the car is only 18 months old doesn't mean that these aren't at faults, or if you believe they can't be because its only 18 months old, then why would any other part have failed either?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The car is going in regardless on Friday for its first service.

Im sure they'll tell me its all fine. At which point ill be trading it in, as I hate it. I was hoping someone here might have had the same experience with these crappy 308s.

I miss my 307 :(

C

·
0 Posts
Oh dear, he bought a pup and it's the cars fault.

My 308 was blooming awesome, and I'd still be in a 308 now if the Missus hadn't developed MS.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I know I grumble about my 308 1.6 THP & apart from the minor hiccup 11 months ago & new battery it hasnt missed a beat .The engine picks up beautifully & progress is swift even with the rather old fashioned 4 speed auto . However I wouldnt want a diesel 308 ( I had a diesel loaner ---nasty , horrible , noisy pug--slug) & no way would I go as low as a 1.4 ...way too under powered for me .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts