1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
14,286 Posts
Rubbish it simply fools the ecu into thinking the engine is at a different temp than it is or that the air going in is a different temp than it is.

They say its not a cheap resistor mod but I bet its a resistor chip they are using and it simply looks fancier in a box its still rubbish :)

only reason it has 89 sales is because there are a lot of idiots on ebay :)

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
With only two leads it can only be a resistive component as an active chip would also require seperate power leads. I can only assume that it lowers the resistance of the intake temperature sensor which sends a false reading to the ECU causing it to alter it's output to the fuel system. Without knowing what markings are on the device it can't be correctly identified but I would steer well clear of it. A proper chip tuning device would be built on a PCB not on veroboard and the inside of the box would be filled with a potting compound to weatherproof it and to prevent the components and circuit design being copied. This is a fake item which is overpriced.

No way can this efficiently cause the ECU to act as if it had been mapped to a higher BHP though it could cause the ecu to alter the fuel delivered to the cylinders giving the impression it does what they claim

As reliable says, they claim it's not a cheap resistor mod

This chip mod does NOT contain a 1 pence resistor unlike some of our rivals
They are quite correct, It's a more expensive resistor mod using one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/290935183077?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108

This image is of a DIL resistor pack which at first look does look like a chip

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers for the quick and indepth reply.

I just asked because I've read a few instances on Citroen forums of people using resistors, or switches, or at least something electrical, to fool the DPF pressure sensors after gutting the DPF with a core drill. Was hoping this was something to do with that, but now it's all cleared up.

Thanks folks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
far better to get a remap on a Derv
Agreed, but there isnt anywhere nearby who will remap a 1.6 HDI, at least without using ECUSafe or something called Volta(?) which I have gathered the opinion that both are a no-no for these engines.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Agreed, but there isnt anywhere nearby who will remap a 1.6 HDI, at least without using ECUSafe or something called Volta(?) which I have gathered the opinion that both are a no-no for these engines.
You could take a look here.....

Diesel Tuning | Diesel Engine Tuning | TDI Tuning

These cost a whole lot more than the fake offering you linked to. These are apparently processor controlled units. The one they offer for my 2.0L HDI 90 costs 295.99 and taken from the page....

is a state of the art digital microprocessor controlled plug and play tuning box system with 7 vehicle specific maps custom loaded with performance, fuel economy or “optimal balance” programs to suite your own individual requirements. In-house Custom Written Maps - TDI Tuning’s in-house software programmers have ensured that your CRTD2® will never produce excessive exhaust smoke linked to cheaper systems on the market and that your DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) remains clean at all times. Intelligent rpm focused maps ensure your engine emissions stay clean and within specification at all times.
This is a generic description which applies to all their boxes as obviously my 90BHP doesn't have a DPF.
I'm sure there are other similar offerings but that was the first one a google search came up with. Similar kind of pricing to a remap with the advantage of being removable at any time for free.

Can't say I'd want to spend that kind of money on my car as I don't pay for most of the fuel I use and it has enough power to deal with my driving style as it is. Still each to their own.

And in answer to reliable's comment. Yep, I am fortunate enough to have quite a bit of spare time on my hands at the moment. Luckily my new job has turned out to be quite the dream job for me. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts