Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: ACTUAL CODE IS U1218, WHICH SHOWS AS PD218 ON SOME OBDII PHONE APPS

Trying to help my neighbour.

Pulled fault code PD218 from her 307 1.4 petrol but can't find any mention of that fault code online.
:confused:

First time I've had THAT problem.......ugh.

Any nice person on here have any idea what it is?

The car idles reasonably steady but sounds a little rough at idle.
Bogs down when pulling away in first gear,like it's trying to stall.

I highly appreciate any replies :thumb:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In fact, PD doesn't seem to be listed as a descriptor for any OBD2 codes.

Hmmmmmm
P0218 is a transmission over-temperature fault.
Car is manual transmission so I don't believe that could be it - sounds automatic transmission specific.

Will try again next time my neighbour has 5 mins and double check that code.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Could it be a seized/binding brake?

Maybe handbrake over adjusted or something?
Would explain the bogging down and subsequent fault code, like it's driving up a hill all the time essentially....

any input welcomed lol

·
Registered
364 Posts
Doesn't seem a valid code but it may be manufacturer specific. It may be P0218 as sometimes error codes are flagged that don't relate to anything actually fitted to the vehicle. If there was a binding brake I would have thought you would hear of smell it. A test for that would be to run round the block and carefully feel each wheel looking for one that is significantly hotter than the others, obviously care is needed as a seriously binding brake can heat the wheel so much you can burn yourself on it alternatively jack each wheel off the ground sequentially and spin it, should spin freely, again care is needed and if you try this you will need to chock other wheels particularly when you release the handbrake.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hi, thanks for the reply ;)
It wasn't that code so probably nothing wrong with brakes lol

Tried another app to see if it threw the same code and to my disbelief (not) it gave a more accurate fault code - a recognised one:
U1218 - invalid/missing data from external lamps.

Network problem code. Really?

I assume ingress of dirt/corrosion on a connector at the headlamp.

Doesn't explain the running problems though.
Car bogs down very easily and sounds off at idle sometimes so seems the fault code and bogging down are two separate issues, though not necessarily unrelated.

Have advised some fuel system cleaner.
Failing any change, a check of all electrical connectors, including one known to throw this fault code (albeit on Diesel cars but may still be relevant)

I should stress this is a 2005 (55) 307 1.4 petrol, not a diesel so it's not a particulate filter or additive problem.

Further to that I'm thinking fuel filter, then plugs, then coil pack.

Any highly enlightened individual out there got other suggestions or experience of this engine and/or code?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And thank you Gibbo for those two useful links.

Will certainly consider the Peugeot planet route. I can see that helping my neighbour fo' sho' :thumb:
As for staying on the forum, sure why not?

Sorry i didn't introduce myself in the appropriate thread but I'm not normally a forum kinda guy, I usually just get on with it and occasionally browse for solutions.

That said, I'll hang about and chime in every once in a while with answers for general car questions.

I don't drive a Peugeot so I would be waffling if I commented on specific things. Still, I have been repairing my own cars for nearly 20 years so I have learnt a thing or two lol

Any further comment appreciated btw - having a code is one thing; having a solution is quite another. :nono:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
also thinking possible dirty sensor on accelerator pedal.

Who said V8's weren't economical?
People keep those for years, not these modern cars, they are too complex and expensive to take to dealers so you end up with a larger carbon footprint than if you drove a big American V8 for two decades.

LOL

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
also thinking possible dirty sensor on accelerator pedal.

Who said V8's weren't economical?
People keep those for years, not these modern cars, they are too complex and expensive to take to dealers so you end up with a larger carbon footprint than if you drove a big American V8 for two decades.

LOL
Sorry but I disagree, modern cars generally last a whole lot longer than cars from a couple of decades ago. If you had a 10 year old car back then you were either extremely fortunate or you kept it garaged and never took it out if the sun wasn't shining. Diesel engines would barely make it to 100k miles whereas modern day diesel engines will hit 200k with ease. With modern diesels returning upwards of 60 MPG they would have to cover three times the distance of older cars to consume the same amount of fuel.

Less fuel consumption, longer lasting engines, cleaner emissions, less rot requiring less welding and less replacement steel all adds up to better economy and a much better carbon footprint.

I haven't got a problem with people liking big engines and gas gusslers but please don't insult us and be honest. Say you like them for what they are - not because they are more economical and have a greener impact than a modern family hatch.

·
5,863 Posts
The yank V8 would do about 2 mpg now as the four barrel holley or similar would have worn spindles, guides and jets give me a modern EFI car to work on any day rather than overhauling a 4 barrel carb :eek: :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I'll take care of this problem without your help, like I always do.

Besides I drive a POS Audi I'm no stranger to fixing problems so don't come commenting like I was having a go at Peugeots (which I easily could a thousand times over and you know it).

I repeat, it was a tongue incheek joke about the moneypit that is a modern car (again, you know this)

I could easily make a dozen counter arguments to your points and they would be completely valid.

Thanks for turning a peaceful thread into your personal toilet.

Don't make me actually start being 'insulting', you won't like it. :nod:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't disagree with you Windy, I actually have no interest other than making a light hearted quip about modern cars being nowhere near as economical as they seem compared to old cars. How many threads on car forums the world over are dedicated to just the faults and failures of emission related components?

Give me a mini with a nice simple 4 banger any day :thumb:

Oh, my car stopped working!.....lifts bonnet....ahhhhhh a chafing wire....fixed.

LOL
Oh, my gear linkage fell out, cool, zip tie it up, go to Falkirk for a leisure drive.

Ohno , my beetle doesn't run well, strip 3 messed up carbs, make 1 good one.

So I disagree with your carb point, they're child's play really.
My old Lancia Delta had a twin choke carb and it was the mutts, off the chain fun, way more driveable than any injection car I've ever had the pleasure of piloting.

Just saying.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
datdude - you are the one who's turned this into your very own personal toilet.

No-one mentioned anything about you insulting the Peugeot brand - except yourself and no I don't know how you could easily comment 1000 time about it. would get repetitive and boring very quickly.

The comment about insult was lets see - the same as your V8 comment - a Joke - I kind of wonder if you know what one of those is.

I've never had a modern car that is a money pit. Maybe that is down to the careful choices I make and the way I look after the car I buy.

You don't need any encouragement to insult anybody as your replies clearly show. Whatever you say to try and insult me will merely show the kind of person you really are.

As for me apologising to you - you've more chance of catching leprosy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I just caught leprosy, apologise troll man.

Turning everything everyone ever says to you round on them is NOT a valid argument, neither is anything you've posted here.

You have walked into a thread with only one intention; to be rude.

I called you on it and took the troll bait and now I'mthe bad guy for getting 'shirty'.

I haven't even begun to say anything to you other than call you out for the above offense.
Yes, I am offended.

If you lot want to argue about carbon footprints I can safely say you have underestimated the true cost of modern cars carbon-wise. When i said economical; you ASSUMED I meant gas mileage. Nope, I was referring to the way modern cars are maintained and the sheer number of parts thrown at them. where do you think all of these extra plastic/rubber/metal parts come from and go? What about the extennded cost of one trip to the dealer for a 'check engine light'? Those are just twoexamples out of (I'm quite sure) a great many.

This is a thread to discuss a fault code, not argue over carbon footprints and who insulted who.......

I bid you good day.

Toanyone who finds this thread inthe future looking tosolve a similar problem; I apologise for it becoming pointless and another loose-end thread.

Thread closed.
Don't bother; I won't read it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.