Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Most cars have the passenger airbag fitted in such a way that it will need a new dash to fix it thats why good dashes for newish cars sell well on ebay !

As for your issue it may be caused by spilt coffee juice whatever if the cupholders are in the console as this is the most common reason i know of for airbags firing without reason the liquid eventually shorts out the airbag ecu that is always mounted under the console.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey there, thanks for the reply.

Most cars have the passenger airbag fitted in such a way that it will need a new dash to fix it thats why good dashes for newish cars sell well on ebay !
I guess it makes them cheaper to manufacture, but it does strike me as a strange way to do it. Why cause more even more damage to a vehicle than is absolutely necessary? Even worse when the airbag has been deployed due to a system fault.

As for your issue it may be caused by spilt coffee juice whatever if the cupholders are in the console as this is the most common reason i know of for airbags firing without reason the liquid eventually shorts out the airbag ecu that is always mounted under the console.
No liquids have been anywhere near the center console. The data is suggesting a short, but the garage/dealership have been cagey as to exactly where at this stage. Will know more in the morning hopefully after the "master technician" has performed their full diagnostics.

Just find it totally bizarre that a randomly deployed passenger airbag can end up causing approx £2000 damage (according to the local dealership, as an estimate).

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Reason its £2000 is because they would be replacing the whole dash AND the airbag ecu and a few other things and reprograming the fresh ecu to the car etc etc

It can be done much cheaper using second hand parts but you need to find out WHY it fired or you might end up in the same place :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts