Peugeot Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
2,584 Posts
I only fitted these as I liked the seal fitted at the top....I dont know how to check for modified hub?..I .just fitted them to my 2007 . 407sw ...went on nice and tight in the bearing..seal flush on the hub...job done...

·
2,584 Posts
As a comment ..I also put some grease in the base of the joint...just to help stop any water ingress....might work..might not...I did read a while back a member putting a grease nipple in them...on the fence on that one....

·
5,032 Posts
As a comment ..I also put some grease in the base of the joint...just to help stop any water ingress....might work..might not...I did read a while back a member putting a grease nipple in them...on the fence on that one....
Yea we fit a splodge of grease as well for same reason

Sent from my K013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
I cannot see a track rod end if fitted correctly doing as you describe it sounds more like the lower balljoint/frip joint
Use less the adjuster is turn so it hits something when you turn it should do it standing still while turning the steering wheel unless it needs lean some. you really need to carefully note note the exact conditions that cause the problem and then make it happen when not moving you can see it. If putting that part in caused the problem that is the area to look at. what is hitting what when. Just take looking, thinking and time. Then it will oh that was easy!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Big update. And to help others with a similar issue.

Got it into another garage and the lower suspension arm bush is shot and collapsed on driver side (same side that was worked on else where when the issue arose when driving, and clearly missed the issue) and the arm is resting on the sub frame I was told. The play when using a bar is a lot and a lot of metal showing too. I could see it all.
Other side has play too but hasnt gone yet in the arm.

So ordering 2 new suspension arms and the bushes that go into whatever else it fastens to on the hub.
Another steering boot on the passenger side now and track rod end too.
So the car should be so solid once this is done.
Wish I got a picture to show how bad but I'm not getting on the floor outside.

Also my new steering rack gator is missing a clip that should be fitted close to the wheel end. 🙄

So yea in a week or so it's getting all fixed. Good job I didnt do ball joints and bearings as that isn't the issue at all now I have had someone who knows how to diagnose cars check it out methodically.

Thanks for all your help.
I will be fav this post due to the ebay links for ball joints.

So as it's a parts question. Where would you get a suspension arm from? I dont trust euro to much. Specially on quality anymore after the garage I just took it to have never heard of starline parts lol.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Thanks for the update, it really does help other members like you said :)

ECP has gone really down hill and other than routine service bits, they don't sell very much and they definitely don't sell much quality!

I normally buy my suspension bits from the French www.mister-auto.co.uk (surprisingly owned by peugeot lol) or the German www.autodoc.co.uk

From there I normally buy TRW (owned by ZF), Lemforder, SKF brands.

If it's a relatively easy part to replace, I will drop down to Febi Bilstein or Moog.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So the other mechanic said the tracking was a million miles out so that would cause the wandering along the road.
The steering wanting to snap back and pull is due to the suspension arms.

I got 2x suspension arms replaced and the hub carrier bushes I had to get off ebay. 12 quid for 2x.
Track rod end on the passenger side and a steering rack boot.
All tracked up. It's so straight now and I love the drive. It hasnt been like this in a very long time. Even before I posted the initial issues it hasnt drove so nice.

Nightmare job apparently and charged 5 hours labour for the whole lot.

Also mpg is so much better never got 40mpg in a long time in 150mile trip but now I do with ease. Even pottering around it's over 32mpg when it's usually 27mpg lol.

So problem solved.

Thanks for all your help here.
Weird how all other garages said bearing and ball joint when it wasnt at all.i now have the garage of choice at last.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts