Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I have recently changed a track rod end and now my car wanders all over when going slow and sometimes snaps on the steering on long curves around 50mph. Always under control.
When low speeds and accelerating to 30 it wanders about or the steering stays 'stuck' until I take foot off accelerator then it's all fine.
I still have to change the track rod end back to the old one and see if the problem goes away or not as the problem wasnt there before and the garage decided to give me it back worse than it went in.
I did read online with some research it happened to someone else along with esp tripping on and off randomly. They changed track rod for another one which was right and problem instantly went away.

My question is. Where do you guys get track rod ends from? Or any parts that you have never had issues with figment. Clearly euro cant provide the right parts in most instances.
My rack gator was wrong. Cv boots are always wrong etc and now it seems the track rod might be too.

Any help would be great in the above as I need a ball joint. Bearing and abs sensor if its seized in. Cv boot and a steering rack gator and maybe lower engine mount.

And any other insight into the issue I started with would help too. I guess sometimes cheap isn't always the best.

Thanks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had lower ball joint issues in the past and never had anything like this before they got replaced and one was snagged completely inside.

The only thing that was changed friday was a track rod end. It wasnt doing the wandering before and that is the only thing that was changed on the car and a steering rack gator which I cant see causing an issue as its rubber that slides on and off.

Just seems very strange to me. And through process of elimination I want to swap it back with the old one just for peace of mind since it's a 5 minute job. Then will report back if it still does it?
Or any other ideas.

My passenger ball joint will be getting changed in the new year when a different garage opens again and can fit me in.

Still need a reputable place to buy parts other than euro car parts which are only good for some bits off my car prices from peugeot are not cheap 110 for ball join 97 for abs sensor etc. I just wanted an idea of price from them. Gators I will have to get as issues with fitment in the past
Cv boot 37 and steering gator 28 I think it was.
If people have part numbers and companies that are cheaper and do fit that would be great also.

Thanks again and keep bringing the help. Its greatly appreciated

·
2,632 Posts
Hi...I also think the lower frip joint is at fault here....they are hard to fault when stationary...but you say youve had lower ball joints replaced..ive done both of mine on my 407 ...these are more roller bearing than ball?

·
Registered
14,964 Posts
It could be they have the tracking wildly out but description does not sound like track rod end even if it's wrong as you think it either tightens or does not so if it's all tight its alright

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just strange how it wasnt doing it before but now is and the only thing changed is a track rod end and tracking got done.

Ball joint hasnt been replaced yet. But it has some slight play but not a great amount like one did over a year ago which kind of fell off the car once the 3 bolts were undone but it wasnt sounding so great anyway.
Steering wheel is straight but again that doesnt mean the wheels are in the right place either. Hmmm. The sake of 10 minutes on the floor of the drive tomorrow just to check. If it still does it then yea will wait and see with ball joints getting replaced in the first week of jan when garage opens again.

What ball joints do people use the skf (iirc) ones or something else?

Still all points to ball joint so far from what your saying.

Might be going back to Honda end of 2020

·
2,632 Posts
Just a long shot....check the bolts holding the lower joint in place...they have been known to work loose or even come out ....

·
2,632 Posts
Hi,,another thought...I seem to remember there is 2 different track rods for 407's..the size or the hole where it fits into the stub axle differs...I might be wrong but im sure its in my grey matter somewhere

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks will take off compare and put the old one back on. Might even measure and see where we are at with sizes as well so I know not to make the same mistake again.

I will also check those bolts which does sound alarming that they can come out

Mine is the 2.2 hdi sport 170 which seems an odd ball of a car for parts as it is

·
5,034 Posts
I've only ever heard of one car where a bolt has come loose on a 407 in my 13 years of ownership and using forums and running the facebook page, there are 2 different size track rod ends but not interchangeable so if the fitter got it in the hole properly its the right one, frip joints are easily diagnosed by looking for rust around the area. We use the modified frip joint and have never had to re-replace one since switching. 2.2 hdi is nearly as common as the others and indeed my daughter/son in law currently have 3, 2 complete and one for parts.

Sent from my K013 using Tapatalk

·
5,034 Posts
Mine for the sake of adding a pic lol

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice. Like the lights and wheels.

How are the track rod different? The bolt bigger smaller? A smaller one would fit in the hole and still tighten? Wouldnt surprise me if he made it fit regardless.

Where do you get the modified joints from. I have heard of them which have the metal cover over the seal but never seen a place sell them. 2 days ago I heard about them on youtube.

I've always wanted to tint my windows but never got round to doing it myself and now driver side rear is broke and stuck closed and cant be bothered fixing it.

·
5,034 Posts
The taper is a different size so theoretically it should just spin and not tighten,or too tight and wouldn't locate. Wheels on mine are 18" coupe wheels recently powder coated,lights/tints etc have been done a couple of years or so. The modified ones have a bearing in rather than rollers and only cost about £12 from ebay

·
5,034 Posts
Look like this

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmmm interesting. Will jack and take wheel off and see what it's like for sure. He might of made it work not sure.

As for the joint. Can you dm the link or post it here. I'll try that part if it's around 12 quid and you've never had issues that's for sure.
Thanks.

·
Registered
815 Posts
If only we could get the hub "balljoint" without a bearing fitted..... I would love to fit a NSK triple seal waterproof bearing into it!

To be fair, the one's that trem1 is on about, are probably the chinese versions of those. As it's limited movement and minute rotation speed, a chinese bearing wouldn't matter.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well if you want a ruined one I can happily send it over for you to investigate and fit a different bearing to the inside and see what works?

For 12 quid if they work there is no harm and like trem said they last a lot longer. Poor design by peugeot really and the movement isn't great not like the bearing is spinning around like a fidget spinner.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I could press the bearing in using a bench wise......but the problem is getting the old bearing out, I won't be able to do that!

Thankfully Peugeot changed the design, I've got the newer style on my 407, I bought my 407 used, 3 years ago and covered over 60k in it without any issues.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
From peugeot its 110 quid for the ball joint
I got a price list off them. Only the gators are being purchased from peugeot since I never have any luck with cc boots from motor factors.

Rather spend 12 quid if they work like trem said

1 - 20 of 28 Posts