Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a partner 1.6 hdi 110bhp 9hw on 2006 84k sitting in my garage it’s been there 6 months it came into my possession when I changed some shocks n springs on a pajero for a guy and when I was at his place it was sitting there, and I asked jokingly if I could nick the wing mirror of it as at the time I needed one. To my amazement he said you can have the whole thing the timing belt has gone, I have had a look and seems it’s just the tensioner so I am not expecting to much damage but if it is it is, what I’m asking is does anyone think it’s actually worth it? I’ve weighed up the pros which are, it’s clean relatively on the low side of miles everything considered, I’ve got little work due to corona, it was FREE and if I knock around the house anymore I will end up killing my beautiful wife who is working from home, the cons are it’s a pig of a job, it’s old, and don’t want to start something I’ve got to finish, so what you reckon dead (scrap heaven) or alive (full rebuild)?

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
I would go for it but start by trying to get injectors out as if they dont come out then you cant get the rocker cover off to replace the broken rockers it most likely has

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I’ve pondered, I shall start Monday morning trying to get injectors out of all goes well I shall keep post updated, I may need a little guidance on timing when it comes to it I know the crank is timed at TDC it’s the cam I struggle with.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Perhaps you could start by just fitting a belt and tensioner and see if it runs. If it has bent valves or other damage it won't make matters any worse for an hour or so of your time.

Roger.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
They dont bend valves due to the valves being vertical i was going to suggest that but sounds like its lay a while anyway so may not want to start :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions but it’s to late I pondered on it over the weekend and what I decided to do was pull the engine out and work on it on the bench, I have a clutch for it what I had from a previous job and just thought why not be easier all out.???. I managed to remove injectors which I did in situ 2-3 were a dog but their out. I have everything striped down, head off and cleaned thoroughly along with cam cover, ladder and plastics soaking over night so much quicker out on the bench. As far as damage goes only 2 rockers broke the two closest to belt end but other than that everything else looks good. Is there anyway to tell if the lobs have moved on the cams? So as it stands I am ready to rebuild, the head gasket looks fine is there any reasons not to re use or shall I change just because it’s good practice? I have also set piston 1-4 to TDC which lines my timing pin up perfectly I no the Haynes manual says then turn it 90dg to give clearance shall I Shan’t I? I inspected the cam chain sprockets the timing marks weren’t on the white links in my case but their is still 12 pin links between them shall I re Align with white links? Well I started at 6:30am it’s now 16:30pm think I got quite a lot done and thoroughly enjoyed it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update on this been a wile as waiting for bits, engine re built and dressed up, new clutch an thorough clean, turned it over by hand several times all seems to be ok I thought there seemed to be a slight bit of stiffness on compression stroke don’t know if I should be concerned and can see that inlet valves are just opening and exhaust just closing with cam pined, I can’t continue now till Thursday as I’ve had a job come in so will re fit engine then and give an update as to weather she runs or Not if anyone thinks I should check anything based on what I’ve said then please say.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes I did think that it felt like good compression as oppose to something untoward. So on the right track then I’ll report back when I’ve tried to fire the old girl.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Long awaited update, got the engine back in and buttoned up she fired first time 😀😀pretty pleased as it’s the first time I’ve really delved right inside one of these, I’ve changed loads of belts and just about everything else so pleased, I replaced Broken rockers, head gasket, cam chain & tensioner, cam oil seal, injector seals &seats, cam belt, drive belt, air filter, oil filter, fuel filter, new oil, new coolant, new clutch, new gear linkage(I broke it getting it off, fresh gearbox oil, fresh power steering fluid, new discs & pads front, service callipers, new rear drums &shoes, cleaned and silver hammerited steely’s, fixed rear door, and cleaned thoroughly, is lockdown over yet hahaha, I only replaced as I got the motor for free and with the majority of these parts ready available and cost peanuts I thought why not and ended up with an ok van. thoroughly enjoyed it, thanks guys.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts