Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a 2010 308SW with 95k miles and FSH. Particle fluid was topped up at 88k (have dealer receipt to show it) but previous owner said they never cleared the ‘particle fluid level too low’ warning. Took it to the local branch of the same (none Peugeot) dealership this morning to get it reset but they said they can’t do it as the level is indeed low and anyway, Peugeot DPFs need changing at 100k anyway. Are they talking rubbish or a) can a full top up be used in 7k miles and b) is there a actually a 100k serviceable life for a DPF. No warnings or anything apart from the fluid level by the way (and the warning I’m told has always been on since the refill)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Took the opportunity to actually open the pouch tank this morning to have a look and the pouch looks brand new/full......certainly what I’d expect to see after 7k miles. So, looks like the guy yesterday was talking rubbish about the fluid level and guess the only way to reset the low level warning is at a main dealer😕. Assume I’ll be looking at £50ish to get that done? Can’t really find anything definitive on DPF life expectancy so suppose I’ll have to monitor it as it gets to and beyond 100k

·
5,978 Posts
100-120K is the expected life with later additive with no intervention. Depending on driving style etc it can be better or worse.

Sometimes a flush out of the dpf can extend the life or replacement/exchange once flow rate drops enough to triggers faults.

Often when the additive is refilled you can reset/edit DPF mileage when resetting counters to extend the life from the programmed hard limits

·
Registered
813 Posts
"(have dealer receipt to show it)"

Is that dealer near you? If so, take it back there and demand they reset it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately the dealer who did it is 60 miles from me but there’s a local franchise of the same name I took it to yesterday......not sure why it went to them originally as this one near me is a Ford/Vauxhall franchise. Will phone the original one tomorrow and see what they say.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Refilled at 88k :eek: blimey, they must have been putting in a tenner's worth at a time!

essay: https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/1306802-post2.html

The claim that the tank is dosed with the same fixed amount of additive every time the fuel cap is removed is disputed for newer cars. However, I haven't seen any evidence in support of this.

The filter itself eventually becomes blocked with ash. You can see in PP2K/Diagbox the amount of ash in the filter. I'm on 141g and I've seen a 2.7 V6 HDi on 163g that says it's 73% full.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I can’t see the logic of diesel refill volume being a contributing factor, surely if the dosing rate is based on the number of fuel cap openings, the concentration of DPF fluid to fuel is wildly inaccurate, surely the regen process requires some level of tolerance on that concentration level? What’s PP2K/diagbox......how much would it cost me to check the saturation level do you think?

Is there no way to get a regen that ‘zeros’ the ash level so that the DPF always remains serviceable?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
read the essay :p

I guess that from the engineers' point of view fixed dosing is sufficient to ensure that the minimum amount of catalyst required is present in the DPF at the time of regen.

PP2k/Diagbox is the dealer diagnostic software. Many members here have it (well, Chinese clone of the hardware and cracked version of the software, but it works).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ll read ‘the essay’ 👍

How much is the PP2k/diagbox copy? Been watching a guy on YouTube who bought several ‘reputable’ code readers and reset tools and none worked.

·
Registered
14,905 Posts
DPF can last the life of the car i have had some with 400k miles still on original DPF

As the essay says you need to replace the fluid and filling £10 at a time will use fluid quicker AND lead to DPF clogging quicker but washing out then TELLING the car it has a new one is all thats needed it does not NEED a new 1 every 100k !

·
11,820 Posts
I’ll read ‘the essay’ 👍

How much is the PP2k/diagbox copy? Been watching a guy on YouTube who bought several ‘reputable’ code readers and reset tools and none worked.
About £40 plus laptop. Plenty of info about it here:

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/general-discussion-2/how-contact-member-peugeot-planet-diagnostic-28190/

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/introductions-28/brief-faq-guide-new-members-83170/#post529130

https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/how-guides-tutorials-153/peugeot-planet-buying-installing-using-336492/

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Spoke to the original dealer who did the refill and sounds like the previous owner booked back in to reset the warning but didn’t show up🙄. Gotta drive 60 miles but they’re happy to reset it for me next Friday👍

Am I correct in thinking the dealers software can tell how full the DPF is and what likely remaining life is if I ask them whilst I’m there?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally got the DPF fluid warning reset at the original dealer.

I also asked for a printout showing the DPF status which they kindly provided, main details of which are:

Particle emission filter load = 22%
Last regeneration = 77km
Weight of additive in particulate filter = 98g
Additive remaining in reservoir = 218mL (can’t be correct, pouch looked almost full when I checked it a couple of weeks ago)

So, the questions arising if anyone can provide some info:

What does the 98g of ‘additive in particulate filter’ actually mean, is that good/bad/insignificant?

I guess the warning will come back on when the system calculates that the incorrect amount shown of 218mL is almost used?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts