Peugeot Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all just wondered if i can gain any help off u guys i have a warning light on the dash saying particle filter regeneration urgent its been on a couple of weeks now and i really dont want the dealer to look at it cause its bloody expensive any one got any tips or know any good mechanics in the east mids area as im tired of having these problems with this bloody 407 1.6hdi every 5 mins there is a beep saying something is wrong i will never buy pegeot again i would appreciate the help on this issue so i can get it sorted and get rid asap cheers folks:mad: :nono:

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
i have read somewhere you can do a forced regen by getting a clear bit of road (motorway) and kane it for about 15 mins. if you cut it short you have to start it again...i will try and find the post relating, it will have more info.

hope this is useful

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cck2k9 said:
i have read somewhere you can do a forced regen by getting a clear bit of road (motorway) and kane it for about 15 mins. if you cut it short you have to start it again...i will try and find the post relating, it will have more info.

hope this is useful

tried that mate last week no good:mad: thanks for the quick reply tho im losing patience with this car worst i have ever owned

C

·
0 Posts
Coming on a Peugeot enthusiast forum and slating the brand is not a good way to endear yourself to others. My 407 is easily the most dependable car I've ever owned (I've owned 68 cars) and my younger 308 is fast coming up behind it. And what you gonna do anyway - defect to Ford, Volvo or even MINI, who all use the same powertrain?

Now, tell us something useful.

Age of the car.

Mileage.

Number of previous owners.

Service history, including when was she last serviced.

How long have you owned the car, and what type of driving and mileage do you do?

Has it been run on the correct low ash FAP friendly 5w/30 oil throughout its life.

And have you had any of the trouble codes read, and if so what were they?

Fiddling while Rome burns does zero to solve your problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah maybe i am slating the car cause im fed up of shelling money out on it everytime the thing starts bleeping as i have said the car is a 1.6 se hdi with 70000 on the clock and full service history dont know about the oil cause my garage deals with that any body else got advice on how to deal with this problem cheers

·
Registered
387 Posts
If you're going to buy any car do your home work, anyone who has owned a diesel Peugeot would be able to tell you about the particulate filter and all of the issues associated with it.

Depending on the type of life the car has had, town/ motorway mileage will usually depend on how long the filter lasts. One thing for sure is that if it says it needs regenerating you should get it done as it is better to fork out a bit of cash now for a regen & fluid top up (if req)than spend anywhere between £450 & £700 depending on your Peugeot franchise for a new filter.

If my memory serves me correctly a forced regen at Peugeot was less than £100 as I asked a few weeks back, I could be wrong but I'm not a million miles away.

C

·
0 Posts
Every modern diesel over 90BHP from EVERY car manufacturer has a particulate filter, and a browse of Ford, Volkswagen and Nissan forums shows they all suffer the same way.

Now, pugs official recommendation for replacement of the FAP is 112,000 miles. This figure varies with they type of use the car gets, and low ash FAP specific 5w/30 makes a big difference. It's safe to assume your car hasn't been treated to this posh oil. Some have dismantled the filter and cleaned it, apparently with good results.

In normal driving the car will subject itself to short automatic regen cycles to burn off excess ash. From, guses what, about 70k miles that can become too much and a forced regen can sometimes be required. You can do this by getting the engine hot and driving above 3000RPM for 15 minutes. Alternatively, get a garage with Planet to artificially force a regen.

If that doesn't work the it needs plugging into Planet to see if any of the myriad sensors on the FAP system are faulty.

Finally, consider binning the FAP althogether and obtaining one of the aftermarket modules that fools the ECU into thinking it's still there.

A lot of owners, me included, get Planet for themselves to save on dealer costs. I got 2 pugs so I bought it, and buying the dealer computer or a clone is getting more common for enthusiasts across all brands.

Moral of the story - avoid higher mileage modern diesels on the used market (then engine will be fine, but the anti-pollution.ancillaries likely won't), get it AA inspected, and don't use just normal diesel oil.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Folks,
Just been reading this thread...scary stuff!!!!!:confused:

I"m at 45000 miles......haven"t a clue what oil type has been used on my servicing so far....but will be using the FAP 5W/30 from now on!!

Would an engine flush be reccommended as well during the oil change?

Cliff

·
Registered
4 Posts
So having loads of cars that have to be replaced is an "advert" for abetter driving experience?????

I have a 308 and it has been an absolute nightmare from 3 month to date.

I too have a pollution problem.
A fuel mix problem
A very low mpg
Sluggish on start and lethargic after warm up
A heater that has fan and no heat
Rear light cluster that shorts out because Peugeot can't wire a car correctly
And many many more advisories

And I have been back to the main dealer I bought it from and written, emailed and called Peugeot HQ WITH a french speaking interpreter from my company and none of them can fix even one of the many problems

I have even been told that 26mpg is about right for the car, despite 47 is the advertised combined mix of urban/motorway mpg

So I'd go with the biggest waste of money I can not afford to dump and I have another 5 years of walking and cycling before its cost effective to have crushed!!!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Unfortunately this is an old thread. I'm probably not the best person to comment on here as I tend to deal with cars that the garages have given up on and would say that most manufacturers have their problems including some nameless German ones that are hellishly expensive to put right. The criticism I would have about Peugeot is the attitude of their dealers, even my local Peugeot dealer has a bad attitude and yet they used to be a great dealer when they were a Rover agent must be a Pug thing but Peugeots are by no means the worst cars on the market and dealer attitudes are relative although in my experience there are more obnoxious Pug dealers than other agents. As for the MPG you haven't said which model you have and how it is used, again in my experience if it is a petrol, you only use the car for short hops and it never gets warm you can almost halve most manufacturers urban cycle because most petrols pour fuel down the exhaust to warm up the cat and get the emissions down quickly. Which is why I used to buy diesels, problem now is that urban driving and DPF's don't go together. If your's is a diesel then it does need a serious looking at.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My car is a 2009 308 but was sold as just serviced. I took it back 3 or 4 times in the first 3 months and never got anywhere just a very "off " attitude from the Dealer.
I independently went to Peugeot Europe and got my own information with the local deal quoted back (they had liaised and were in cahoots).
I suspect now, that the warnings were reset and so took a month or 3 to re-emerge because that is now what I can do with my EOBD bit of kit (ebay jobby).
Interesting what you say on the warming up. My petrol car does quite short journeys - because I cant chance the cost of longer ones on my limited income. And I do almost get the 50% mpg.
Funny though I have had 5 cars with CAT's and CPU controlled engines and this is the first that on similar use does so badly. I had 3 Rovers in that lot and every one of my 15 cars driven to date have done book mpg or better with twice the age and 10 times the mileage on the clock.
From my experience- - certainly THIS Peugeot 308 is the most steaming pile of manure on the road.

As for CO2 emissions, I cant understand a 26mpg car still getting through its MOT, Lambda test etc, let alone the pollution and immoral use of such fuel hungry cars verses the need to improve the standard of mechanics in main dealers and the industry as a whole which overpriced ineptitude leaves us with poorly working vehicle with problems they can't solve and a hidden pollution problem which is ignored. - and a large hole in my pocket coupled with such begrudging and poor service leaving me close to suicidal, certainly in despair.

·
5,028 Posts
Start a new thread for your issues please Rippedoff, that way we may be able to help you, at the moment it just comes across as you wanting to have a rant at how crap peugeot is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
if the cap fits, and it does, you said it.

I remain with many unsolvable problems on a car I bought and the dealer has washed his hands of it. I had even gone to head office and got a united front / brick wall.

If a full service history car does 26 and not 47 mpg and even then, when I have done long runs of 130 miles to get that, then there is something intrinsically wrong with the vehicle. It went back several times to get the same answer and they test drove it "up to" 300 yards (the mileage didn't go forward after 4 days in the garage!!)after which I insisted they did it with me in the car, so we went about 7 miles at 60mph in the towns 30 speed limit - as a passenger I could still feel the lethargy of the car, an indication of the issues, and it was then declared fit for purpose and 26mpg is what I should expect.
Is that a condemnation of this particular car, Peugeot 308's or just Peugeot - bearing in mind I went to the head office and then I see threads like this and many others where the car's system either breaks down, the Main Service Departments fail to correct repeatedly and a general lack of customer care within this section of the industry.

Is that a rant, or observation for which I still need help and a reasonable response.

I have had 18 months of it, and my shoes are wearing out after avoiding using my car as a consequence where I am passively trying to reduce the impact of a poor vehicle spec and service from what is meant to be a well known brand, one would have assumed a well supported one.

·
5,028 Posts
the original op was about a diesel engine problem, yours is petrol i think ?

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
As trem says, start a new thread rather than start a whinge on a thread that was originally started four years ago.

if the cap fits, and it does, you said it.
Ranting about how crap Peugeot's are on a Peugeot enthusiasts forum is only going to get you nowhere very fast.

I remain with many unsolvable problems on a car I bought and the dealer has washed his hands of it. I had even gone to head office and got a united front / brick wall.
Then you need to find a different garage / workshop / knowledgeable hobbyist mechanic who can 'solve' the issues you are experiencing. Nothing is unsolveable if the correct people to solve the problems are found.

If a full service history car does 26 and not 47 mpg and even then, when I have done long runs of 130 miles to get that, then there is something intrinsically wrong with the vehicle. It went back several times to get the same answer and they test drove it "up to" 300 yards (the mileage didn't go forward after 4 days in the garage!!)after which I insisted they did it with me in the car, so we went about 7 miles at 60mph in the towns 30 speed limit - as a passenger I could still feel the lethargy of the car, an indication of the issues, and it was then declared fit for purpose and 26mpg is what I should expect.
Again, find someone who can resolve the issues and you will probably find the lethargy goes and your fuel economy improves. You say you drove 130 miles on a trip which means absolutely nothing. That 130 miles could, for all we know, have been in nose to tail stop/start traffic or you bimbling along in 2nd gear for the whole 130 miles. If you feel the dealer that sold the car should have been brought to task and resolve the issues free of charge then maybe you should have worked out a better plan - like taking legal advice / retaining the services of a solicitor to try and resolve this long before 18 months had passed rather than letting off steam on a forum when it's really way too late.

Is that a condemnation of this particular car, Peugeot 308's or just Peugeot - bearing in mind I went to the head office and then I see threads like this and many others where the car's system either breaks down, the Main Service Departments fail to correct repeatedly and a general lack of customer care within this section of the industry.
Yes it could be a condemnation of your particular vehicle, definitely not indicative of the model as a whole and definitely not indicative of the brand. It could also be fair that your particular dealer may be lacking in customer care skills but others have had more than good experiences from their foray into buying used cars from a dealer, me included.

Is that a rant, or observation for which I still need help and a reasonable response.

I have had 18 months of it, and my shoes are wearing out after avoiding using my car as a consequence where I am passively trying to reduce the impact of a poor vehicle spec and service from what is meant to be a well known brand, one would have assumed a well supported one.
I'd say it is sour grapes on your part. If you haven't managed to get this resolved in 18 months than it certainly looks like you have quite lethargic in your approach to getting to the bottom of this. Stop whinging and actually go out and take positive actions to get this sorted.

If the cap fits - as you quite rightly stated..................

·
Registered
364 Posts
I think if we are going to be objective over this we need to stop arguing and start a new thread then we may be able to help. Although that depends on whether ripped off wants to sort the car out or not. I can't explain the attitude of the agent but it probably isn't fixed because they don't know what is wrong. Agents are not generally technical they just use the equipment that the manufacturer supplies, this is common to all car manufacturers. You can go on any car forum and there will be hundreds of posts about how crap that manufacturer is because they all get it wrong sometimes and in many cases it is a component, device, etc. that they have not designed and manufactured, which can leave them with a problem of what has gone wrong. As with most industries it is accepted that products will malfunction and manufacturers are prepared to loose a few customers as it is often cheaper than investigating the fault. In short if their diagnostics don't pick it up they will more than likely shrug it off and that goes for a lot of manufacturers agents generally. It is also unfortunate that this car is probably now outside the six years and the manufacturer is not obliged to repair it. The resolve in my mind is let's try and resolve the issues at hand.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
The resolve in my mind is let's try and resolve the issues at hand.
There is no arguing as such but you can only hope to resolve the issue if the vehicle owner is prepared to put some effort in to finding a viable solution. I'm more than happy to to go out of my way to help out people who are prepared to help themselves but not quite so keen to assist people who want it on a platter and whine when it doesn't happen yesterday or can't be arsed to investigate alternative solutions.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Yes Storeman I totaly agree with that and this forum is about getting positive help and not moaning about how bad a service the dealer gives. I think the problem is that there is an expectation that if someone makes something that means they know all about it. That is not the case these days as cars become ever more complex. I don't think there has been a time in the history of the motor industry that a car manufacturer has made the electrical side of things with maybe the exception of Ford. The only thing I would criticise Peugeot for is the off hand way their dealers seem to treat people when there is a problem which seems to be much more common than for other marques, interestingly enough I have never found a poor Citroen dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got the same message dpf regen urgent and i have the code P0422 i also had the P1351 but i changed all my glow plugs and now the code is gone.

I tryed to tell the ecu that dpf is changed both with texa and bosch KTS tester but it only says that this function is not supported by the ecu, in additiv ecu everything is ok there is fluid in tank no code and system is active.

Im waiting on peugot planet 2000 think i get it on Monday i hope this can tell ecu that dpf is changed, does the dpf regenerate when the P0422 code is active?.

I need to clear the code so i can send my ecu to get it remaped and delete dpf and egr, the remaper dont want to do this before i fix the issue because he thinks it can cause problems after remap.
My ecu is:EDC16C3 i see that many of these cars got edc16c34 does anyone know the difference?, i also want to know if i can change to the edc16c34 ecu i can get one cheap and this way i can keep my original ecu incase anything goes wrong.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow, what vinegar and pee!!!

Lithargic.... I went to the MAIN DEALER

I went to the GARAGE I BOUGHT IT FROM

I WENT TO PEUGEOT HQ - - - for the numties there - - that is the HEAD QUARTERS

How much more bloody lithargic do I have to be before I grab some git by the throat and rip out his gizzard???????

AT this point there is no further recourse without going to trading standards or my own MP and the court of Human Rights (to be over turned by the Tories if they get there way but that is another issue).

I have a steaming pile of JUNK that is a Peugeot 308.
The garage knowingly sold me a pup.
The garage - - a MAIN DEALER and the people with the so called "special knowlege" are unable or reluctant to admit fault
AND the HEAD OFFICE agrees with the garage and MAIN DEALER

i WONDER JUST WHAT ENTHUSIASM is by your definitions - - or lethargy - - any more excitement I'm going to pop a blood vessel or slaughter the service staff at a main dealer.

And old thread - - it is not a new car.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.