Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a new Peugeot 308 diesel in February.
In July a light came on to do with 'the particle filter'. Took car back to Peugeot who put it though a complete regeneration. Was told it was to do with burning off the emissions and it was because I wasn't doing big enough miles and I was to take it onto the motorway and drive fast in a low gear!
The same thing has happened again (message come up on dash) and was left in again.
I'm wondering have I purchased the wrong car. I'm thinking of changing back to a petrol car.:(

·
Registered
593 Posts
Purchased a new Peugeot 308 diesel in February.
In July a light came on to do with 'the particle filter'. Took car back to Peugeot who put it though a complete regeneration. Was told it was to do with burning off the emissions and it was because I wasn't doing big enough miles and I was to take it onto the motorway and drive fast in a low gear!
The same thing has happened again (message come up on dash) and was left in again.
I'm wondering have I purchased the wrong car. I'm thinking of changing back to a petrol car.:(
diesel cars are only worth buying if you do long jurneys,
i do 77 miles a dayto work andback. Stuff like this is a diesel. short fast jurneys are petrol all the way.

would need more info on the error side of it, get a local from the planet map to read the car and they will let you know what the real problem is., but driving at 60-70 in 4th for a while can also clear it up.:thumb:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
I usually drive petrol but was tempted with the diesel as got it for a good price.
I'm thinking though if this happens again I'd be better changing back to a petrol car.
I have seen online this is a problem with the Peugeot diesel.

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
I usually drive petrol but was tempted with the diesel as got it for a good price.
I'm thinking though if this happens again I'd be better changing back to a petrol car.
get it maped out and taken off

C

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

Its not just a Peugeot Diesel problem it happens with all manufacturers diesels that have a Diesel Particulate Filter. As a result of these you need to be doing at least 20 - 30 mins motorway driving regularly in order to keep th filter clear and regenerating normally. As Jack says short start stop journeys eg town driving you need a small petrol engine

·
Registered
17 Posts
Had the same problem with a Vauxhall Meriva.I just used to take it on the motorway and give it a good blast This cured the problem every time warning light came on

·
12,141 Posts
Yep, you've bought the wrong car.

However, even if you're not doing the motorway miles the car should regenerate to clean the filters all on its own without any warning messages.

If you're getting messages then something isn't quite right and will only get worse.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, you've bought the wrong car.

However, even if you're not doing the motorway miles the car should regenerate to clean the filters all on its own without any warning messages.

If you're getting messages then something isn't quite right and will only get worse.
So you're saying there is something wrong with a brand new car?

·
12,141 Posts
So you're saying there is something wrong with a brand new car?
Have a watch of this:

BBC One - Watchdog, Series 28, Episode 8, Is your diesel filter out of kilter?

and decide for yourself. If the link is broken there's a transcript here:

BBC Watchdog: Is your diesel filter out of kilter? - Consumer Forum

If its brand new it should be OK, but you will get annoying warnings all the time and it will be a ticking time bomb for the next owner who finds all the components to be worn before their time.

I've owned two Pugs with particulate filters and never had a problem, but that's because my daily commute includes 10 miles of motorway each way.

I once bought a fairly new Fiat Punto diesel. It had under 30,000 miles on the clock but when I looked at some parts it was so gummed and sooted up it looked like it had done 90,000 miles. It was because the previous (first) owner had only used it for running round town, and it was never on any dual carriageways or motorways. Diesels need good long runs and to be hot to run efficiently.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts