Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the 3rd part in the series to turn the orange lights to blue in your peugeot car.... this one is to show and tell you how to do this to your stock clarion cd/radio system.

you will need:

- a soldering iron
- solder
- 30x 1206 smd leds of your colour (this will leave some spare, just in case you burn a few etc)
- tweezers
- phillips head screwdriver
- time

1) remove the radio from the vehicle,

2) using the screw driver, remove the two screws (one each side) holding the front.

3) flip the unit over and slight lift the black plastic of the clips.
4) do this to the top of the unit aswell.
5) be carefull when pulling the front away, there is a ribbon.

6) gently pull on the end that is attached to the front, black plastic bit. it should just slide out.
7) you will then be left with:

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
8) flip this over and unscrew the screws holding the chip board

9) take out the chipboard and you will clearly see around 25 leds. there are 3 hidden by the small plastic foam thing. just peel off.

10) remove the leds by any method you see fit.... i found it alot easier to get a wrench and nail, heat the solder holding the leds and gently put pressure from the other side using the nail.

11) keep testing to see if the leds are going ok.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
12) once complete test again to check to see if they are all ok.

13) put unit back together, reverse method on taking apart. remember to put the ribbon back on.
14) due to lighting conditions of today, i cannot get a decent photo of the blue showing through the facia. but as you can see from the last photo they are all working and it definately shows blue through the front :thumb:
15) put the radio back into car, and away you go with your blue illuminated radio

just a little disclaimer, i cannot be held responsable for anything that goes wrong, but i will try to help as best as i can to help resolve your problems, as always.:thumb:

hope someone finds this useful :lol:

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no i didnt know that, where can you find it? learn something new everyday.

and those are the ones :thumb:

they are even smaller than the leds for the speedo, so it was tweezers in hand for them

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
cck2k9 said:
no i didnt know that, where can you find it? learn something new everyday.

and those are the ones :thumb:

they are even smaller than the leds for the speedo, so it was tweezers in hand for them
go in with pp as if your going to recode your radio and you`ll see it.:thumb:

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
just had a snap moment. on the heater buttons i said its orange plastic, painted black, with a white symbol on the front....now from not looking at it now or seeing it for a few month now...

is this already a plastic filler, over a thin layer of orange from the button? i may have to take a look at this later.

edit: the reason i am thinking this is because i think the white bit indents a little suggesting this. and if this is the case, a little sandpaper or something on the inside to remove the orange layer, but keeping the white should be sufficient enought to get the blue through, even enough removed to make a daisy chain of leds that can sit behind all 3 buttons to force the blue though, if you catch my drift here.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
just been out and checked everything again.... and the result.... crap

the knobs have orange plastic that filter the light to orange...only way to change that is to drill the little hole, fill it with something and place a led behind.

the buttons, are again orange plastic with painted black and white on the front (must be done with a printer)

the dial details such as the numbers have a small diffuser, glued in behind some tough plastic, which cannot be removed.

so this leave that stumped...my next idea is... is there only 2 types of heater controls, auto and manual or is there one inbetween...such as a manual with screen????

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
yeah from looking at them i dont think that will work either :(

there is one method, but it will probably look tacky...put an led strip above it... to shine down on the face of it....its not the desired effect.

tbh i think it still looks ok, to have the dials kinda blue and the buttons orange...its kinda knit picking and will be awesome if this gets cracked....

i have just tried to put a spare strip (from the one in my glove box) onto the top. like the method above and it works... but the problem... its that the silver bit is sloped so that the leds look mega bright.

the problem i have is that. i dont want to go cutting about at mine trying to find a way of doing this. as i have just looked on service box and a new control unit is a lottory win away... and there are no scrappies near me with spares...tried that for the trip button and got basically laughed at. so its a one way street to either a fuckup or a eureka moment.

i will still say that cutting/drilling the shapes out carefully and filling it will do it...but its finding the correct filler that will allow light to pass through, be able to secure two plastic parts together and not fall apart later....

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
for some reason, if a good job is made out of scratching the side of the knob, i think that in itself will look awesome...dont ask me why...just does

by looking at your photo there

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
also found Krystal Klear, aparently it is used in models to create up to 1/4" windows and is really strong...so i put in an order, going to give it ago, when i get the time...will keep you guys posted..specially you betty :thumb:

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hmm... first i have heard about crazyleds losing post...but i reckon royalmail is a load of crap...my mate who works at one of the depot has warned me to go tracking for everything i send. and the stories i have heard about the place..such as the mazuma mobile envelopes (take a guess what happens there) just puts royalmail in a bad light in my eyes.

anyways hope you get them soon.

looking good on the heater controls...i havnt got the tools or the time yet to do mine...going to try and get hold of a spare, even busted. to try on.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.