Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 169 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Right here we go... following on part 1 about the MFD

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6456

============================================================================================================
Remove instrument cluster (after disconnecting battery)

There are apparently special tools to do this, but i just used a suitable screwdriver to poke in the hole, then used another one to wedge it out, then do same on other side!

When removed, you need to take out all the screws from the rear of the unit (using a torx T10 bit)

Pic here of tools i was using and rear of unit..

When screws are out, the perspex cover will separate, leaving you access to the dial needles

To remove the needles, rotate them anti-clockwise while gently lifting upwards, do not use tools to get them off! make note of positions so you can replace them accurately

With these removed you can lift off the faceplate leaving you access to the main PCB, LED locations circled on pic below

Now a few notes on this bit...

If you arent competant using a soldering iron... get someone else to do it!

You need a very fine tipped soldering iron for this, i just filed mine to a fine tip because it was only a cheapy!

Steady hands are a must!

Try not to touch the iron on for more that a second as it can damage the LED! melted through 2 on my first attempt

Now unsolder the old led's, making sure to remove them gently as to not damage the contact points

When they are all removed you can begin soldering the new ones on

LED's only work in one direction so make sure you get the polarity correct, one side of it will have a small notch in, this will correspond to a small K printed on the board, notch end always gets soldered to K end!!
(you can see this on the pic of my work below!)

So carefully solder the new ones on, making sure they are firmly connected to the board (ie no wobble or looseness) doesnt matter if they arent 100% straight!

Now to save time and messing around, i decided to test the board without reassembling, this is the easiest way to see that all LED's are ok

If you are satisfied, rebuild the unit and replace, now wait for it to go dark!

The reulst (daytime/nighttime)

Coming next.... heater controls/door switches/lock button

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks, havent had much time to get stuff done recently but i've just managed to get the window/mirror controls and the headlight adjuster done!

I didnt think it was possible but the standard LED's in them were even smaller than the ones i used here!

Writeup soon, then time to attack the heater controls!! :confused:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Did you do the heater control...good work by the way...i was just wonderin how i come do this myself...as the orange is sooooo horrible

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I havent done the heater controls yet, although they are going to be done in the next few weeks! :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
trying to get the custer to come out..you said put screwdriver in and use other to waggin out.....this one side at a time..how long does it have to be to put in hole...i tried one side still cant get it out

·
Registered
93 Posts
i like the blue..if i had a silver car and blue seats i go for that...but i was thinkin green as my car is dark green and my seats are green...do this and the other part of your interior lighting tips and nice new double din stereo with green led..my question is...how easy is it to remove the leds from circuit board and replace with new ones...are they the pin type...ie the pins on led go into hole then you solder them them on board....

·
Registered
873 Posts
Nah mate, you have to solder them onto contact points. Its not particularly hard to get the orange leds off.

What I did was grip it with a small pair of pointy nose pliars, heat it with the iron and it come off easily with no damage.

Then I just tinned the points on the circuit board with solder, set the led on top then melted the solder again and it pressed in.

Took me quite a while as I tested the board after each led.

I also made a mistake and changed the low fuel level light to blue but not really a bad thing.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thankin you kindly..great tips..i will post some pics on this thread when i got done...showing the green lighting....oh something i found to get light scratchs out of len and make the len like new..which i found just by chance as i tried with washin without any luck..I tried some Quixx Car & Auto Scratch Remover that i had lying around..its made for paintwork....but works fine on the len..

·
Registered
93 Posts
Oh i knew i forget something...how did you refix the needles...just line up and push down..or turn anti clockwise till they stop moving to the left then push down and line up..i just thought if i placed the needles higher...it could look like i was doing 100mph when i doing 60..good way to impress the girls.lol??

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
yeah all you do is line them up with the zero mark on your car (what you would see if the ignition is off. before screwing into the lens plug it into the dash, you will hear a buzzing noise as the needles reset to what the computer think is zero and if they move just move them back to the zero point, remove and then complete fitting. -well thats how i did it anywayz and my car is working mint haha.

your only problem with that is you will have to put it right when it goes for mot, and you will have to remember the differences for when you go through speed traps etc as you could be shooting yourself in the foot. lol good idea tho haha

·
Registered
873 Posts
I put white dials in my car from a 307cc, since it was clocked to 150mph the reading are different.

Its shows 40mph when Im actually doing 30mph and 80mph when Im doing 70mph. About 10mph difference. Not a big deal to me.

But will this not pass the mot, I never thought of this.

I take it theres no way to have it calibrated as its the plastic dials that are difference not the car.

Daytime photo of blue speedo, as you can see the white dials are clocked to 150 as opposed to my old black ones that were 130, so is calibration an option.......

http://s950.photobucket.com/albums/ad350/daffyduck42/

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
well i thought that they do that emission test, where they put it on a rolling road and run it to some speeds to see what the revs are like etc, what im saying is you could get some eagle eyed tech/mech that will see this...

i havn't changed my dials, i have just kept the original black so i cant help you on that one, google is your best friend for that, and your best bet is to speak to a peugeot tech and ask them. worst they can say is im not telling you..

·
Registered
93 Posts
Finally done the speedo after doing the first project..not havin used a soldering iron before..Did find the leds a pain to get off...ripped one away from board...if this happens anyone else and are as bad as me at soldering...scrap the circuit board where the led was not to much but to bare some metal and solder to that....not to bad to put the green leds on..a bit of solder then push led into solder as it heats up...and solder other side...

anyway heres finish colour....

anyone done the heater controls with pics...yet..i have the auto control..i seen that someones done it in blue..looks good..

Not sure i be doing the door switches....the leds look so small....i just about did the speedo....thanks for all tips ...GREAT!!

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I gotta admit it does look good in green :)

I've still not got round to doing heater controls yet, mine are the manuals though so i wont get as good a result as you could with the auto

Sure cck has posted a few pics of someone who has done the auto though :thumb:

1 - 20 of 169 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.