Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To keep a very long story short, my sunroof has been cracked, from the inside, and a 3rd party is paying directly for it to be replaced. I have had it priced, and that side of it is fine.

Was just wondering if anyone on here has had to get their roof replaced, and has there been any issues with new versus old in terms colour, noise, gaps to body etc etc. The quote I have is for autoglass to supply and fit. They use Pilkington glass, not original Peugeot glass. Will that make any material difference?

All help appreciated.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I can't help you with that except that there's a good chance that the Pilkington glass will be better quality than the Peugeot glass!
Thanks for the reply. When you say better quality, what would actually be better? I know nothing about glass...

·
Registered
327 Posts
They are probaby both quality glass but Pilkington is a known respected manufacturer - we don't know where Peugeot get their glass. It's all in the quality and mix of the ingredients. Take what I'm saying with a pinch of salt, I'm sure they are both good :thumb:

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I had a glass roof replaced under warranty back in 2112. The glass was supplied by Peugeot and I was told at the time "it may be a Pilkingtons but that don't matter because they make them for Peugeot anyway"
There was no issues after the fit. They just fit them like a large windscreen with the same materials.

Everything will be fine:thumb:

Grumpy.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a glass roof replaced under warranty back in 2112. The glass was supplied by Peugeot and I was told at the time "it may be a Pilkingtons but that don't matter because they make them for Peugeot anyway"
There was no issues after the fit. They just fit them like a large windscreen with the same materials.

Everything will be fine:thumb:

Grumpy.
Thanks for that - reassuring. Was it the exact same colour? Mine looks black from outside the car....

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
It is highly likely that pilkington DO make the glass for peugeot and peugeot add a bit on top for themselves

Peugeot hardly make any parts everything is bought in from other manufacturers this is standard practice nowadays.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
As far as I could tell the replacement was identical.
I guess all glass is made to manufactures specification.

So after saying that I've had windscreens that have been absolute rubbish. Windscreen replacement companies buy them by the container from third party glass companies. A particular brand comes to mind called Guardian, made in Spain and as soft as butter. Any small stone and bang, there goes the windscreen again!

Grumpy

Reactions: weedavemac

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The roof should be getting replaced this week - probably Thursday. Will report back how I get on. Hoping for a good perfect result.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mr roof has been replaced by Autoglass. Haven't actually driven the car yet, but looks the exact same, even down it saying 'Peugeot' on the glass itself. Hopefully that is the end of the saga.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.