Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

My ‘08 plate 207 Allure has been pretty solid of late but just as I was beginning to feel quite smug about its reliability, it has gone bad on me big time...! Please bear with me as I fill in the background to the onset of the fault:

I was driving home a few nights ago when suddenly both headlights momentarily went out closely followed by wipers on permanently (it wasn’t raining but the wipers ignored whatever I did with the switch). Lights quickly came back on much to my relief, so I drove the last couple of miles home to the excruciating sound of dry rubber on glass.

Anyway, after safely parking in my drive, I switched off the ignition then tried starting the car again...dead as a dodo. Accompanied by dashboard warning - FAULT - BRAKING SYSTEM, then a few seconds later - INFO - a-bags/s-belts.
Then after a few minutes of failed repeated attempts at starting, the car went into Economy Mode, so I gave up and went to bed.

Next day I tried out my ANCEL AD610 scan tool/ABS reader (I know, I know, it’s pants compared to PP or DiagBox, but it’s all I have!) and it showed no OBD2 fault codes. When I switched the tool to ABS mode, it was unable to communicate at all.

I have checked the usual suspects such as under-bonnet fuses/connectors (nice and shiny) and Main ECU connectors (ditto) and I’ve even checked out the ABS module connectors under the front wing (no corrosion present although they were coated in grease).

So...even taking into account my extremely basic diagnostic tools, my money would be on a faulty ABS module, what do others think?

Sorry for the long rambling post but I just wanted to fill you all in with as much info as possible. I did check the scan tool on my wife’s Kia and it connected to the ABS system fine...

Thanks in anticipation for any help and advice!

Martin

·
Registered
863 Posts
seems to many problems for abs/ecu i would be looking at the bsi, was a post not long ago someone had got water through and into the unit.
have you done a reset?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Bad earth connector, take out battery and battery tray and check the earth cable,
whilst the battery is out charge it up, could also be a Alternator problem, the Alternator should put out about 14.4v when running.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Stripe and Phil. I have done a BSI reset many times. No change. I have also charged up the battery off the car. I can’t measure the charging voltage unfortunately because the car won’t start...☹

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tony, did you have access to a diagnostic scanner? I plan to have another look for poor earths today.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That’s what I found with my scanner...no codes stored. But the big clue is that the same scanner would not communicate with the ABS module at all, hence why my attention is drawn to that device.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah, thanks for that info Noddy. I has assumed that failure to allow starting was the ECU’s way of playing “safe” due to there being lack of full emergency braking...?

·
2,982 Posts
Hi..many systems on modern cars need full voltage to work properly..so until the car has correct voltage it will show errors...you dont say what happens when you try and start..ie no cranking ..slow cranking...clicking etc..if you suspect the earth,as a test.run a jump cable from the neg battery terminal to the engine....(ps...dont mention economy mode )

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I’ll try that, good idea.

When I try to start the car, there is just a click coming from a fusebox relay, no attempt to crank at all.

I guess your comment about Economy Mode is because that shouldn’t stop the car starting under normal circumstances?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh and please would anyone be able to tell me which pins on the 28-way ABS connector contain power and ground? There are three fat cables in the loom (red, white and green/yellow) but I can’t see where they go. (Just in case I get to that stage of fault finding..!)

Not asking for a full wiring diagram necessarily, just which pins have which voltage...

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
CAN systems hate voltage being out of spec, it drives them mad.

Check the battery voltage & condition, check the main - connections on top of the gearbox & then on to the body shell.

Check the main + connections that runs to the under bonnet fuse box, also to the alternator & starter.

Make sure all the main cables feel ok & no bulges which would indicate corrosion, they shouldn't be to stiff.

You need good clean correct spec voltage in to the car main electrical systems before you can start fault finding further.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
You have a lack of voltage in to the cars electrical systems.

Electric power steering has shut down to save the battery.

Airbag & ABS have voltage protection which will shut the systems down for under OR over voltage conditions.

Check the battery & alternator are both working correctly.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I’ve checked out main earths and all looks ok. Even tried connecting jump leads across to bypass any potentially dodgy connections but no change.

Can anyone tell me if the 207 is designed to prohibit starting in the event of the STOP - BRAKING SYSTEM FAULT message? If not, then there must be something else I’ve missed. I suppose that the under-bonnet fusebox could have an internal fault. As it is a sealed unit I can’t look at the internal PCB, etc...

·
2,982 Posts
brake system fault would not stop it starting,,,,,whats the battery voltage....if you answer the questions we will be able to help.....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts