Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Pug 407SW diesel estate, done 86K

I have my battery replaced a few weeks ago by the AA under warranty and ever since I have had an engine fault come up

I finally found my planet software and ran some diags

its a P1351 which I cleared but it continually comes back

The car starts and runs perfectly, there is no obvious fault. Drove from Bilbao to Marbella with no problems whatsoever.

But I would like to clear the fault, somehow changing the battery upset something.

I think I have uploaded some pictures, all the faults have gone except P1351.

any guesses as to where I should be looking??

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
p1351

thank you noddy-hol I have read the post many times, unfortunately it has no useful information. It says planet will tell me the problem

I have planet and it does not tell me the problem

or more likely it can, but I do not know where to go

hopelessone says "Ahhh, Check this picture, its the relay right not the glow plugs?"

There is not picture!!!! In most post people refer to non existent pictures which does not help.

Still need help thank you

·
6,000 Posts
Check the battery terminals and leads there should be a slave cable to the glow plug relay which may have been dislodged when battery was changed or its the normal bogus fault.

What is the P-code for the second fault

Do you have your egr blocked off or blanked as flow to high is often related to this but should not log a code

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
p1351

thank you Noddy-hol yes I have read that post and I do not see how it applies

I have planet 2000, have read the error code and it says "preheating relay circuit, relay controlled and spark plugs not supplied"

what a ridiculous statement. " relay controlled and spark plugs not supplied"

so maybe "preheating relay circuit"

But it starts fine, and I understand the fault will only appear after if more than one of the glow plugs is faulty. So if two are faulty would it not impact the starting.

It starts and runs perfectly from cold. the little glow plug icon comes on for about 2 seconds when the key is turned then goes out, If I forget to wait before starting the car when it is cold the car delays the starter motor until the little light goes out anyway.

Still should I just replace the relay

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you windy1603 that is a great idea, the fault only occurred a immediately after the battery was replaced. I will check and get back

I have no second fault, I cleared all faults and the only one that comes back is P1351, or is there somewhere else in planet 2000 I should look for a fault?

you ask

"do you have your egr blocked off or blanked as flow to high is often related to this but should not log a code"

I am afraid I do not understand but I googled and egr means exhaust gas re-circulation and apparently

"The computer opens or closes the EGR as load, speed and temperature dictate in order to maintain the proper cylinder head temperature"

The fault light comes on within a couple of seconds of starting from cold

IMPORTANTLY ( or maybe not ) it does not come on if I turn the key to on without starting the engine, wait 5 seconds, turn it off the then immediately start the car

I wonder what that means

But even without generating the error code, the cruise control has not worked since the battery was replaced, some how it must be related ( perhaps I should have started with the??)

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
That's the glow plug fault, isn't it?

Everbody seems to have it!

I had it in 2013. I got new glow plugs and it went. Now it's back, so I'm saving up for new glow plugs again.

Some people insist very angrily that the car doesn't need glow plugs to start. It certainly seems that the car will start if the glow plugs are duff. However, the car always runs the glow plugs both before and after starting unless the coolant is warm (exact parameters are somewhere on this forum). The glow plug light on the dash only comes on to ask you to wait if it is very cold.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Try not to get too bogged down in fault codes, even when they are pointing to a problem they tend to get there flagging up unnecessary codes along the way. At the moment you have one of the simplest to explain fault codes present. A straight battery swap shouldnt have disturbed anything so keep it simple. The P1351 is a Glow-plug fault error but even after plugs have been changed, this error has a bad habit of coming back even when the fault has been cured: its a software glich. Saying that though, I was in this situation some months ago. I pulled the plugs one by one and tested them to find one open-circuit and another very high resistance. I thought the high one might be ok but the 1351 came up again so the tolerances are quite low as far as the ecu is concerned. Changed the other and the code has now gone. As did mine, yours does indeed seem to be coming back for a reason so check the caps on the plug electrodes : are they loose/disconnected. After that suspect a bad plug. It may be breaking down now you have a good battery voltage and plenty of currant for them to draw.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Only one fault code? You are lucky 😜
I'm heading down to Marbella area early next week, will you still be there with yr diagnostic gear, I might need some help?

·
6,000 Posts
The high air flow fault is often related to a sticking or blanked off EGR valve, as there is no or restricted egr flow, and as the engine still needs the same amount of air more comes via normal air flow and MAF shows higher than expected airflow hence the fault logged.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thank you mooi1uk

I know the AA service man did not follow that procedure but I have done it many times since, hoping to reset the computer. Once confused it may not be possible to fix but I have tried.

Funny thing - I never hear the "bong" I wait the 3 minutes, I wait the 10 seconds, turn the ignition key to on but no "bong"

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello Ian432

Yes we are in Estepona for the next few weeks, if you need it my phone number is

+447414669986

Hope the forum permits the phone number.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thank you Pluggit

I shall check the plugs caps initially. Never removed a glow plug before

to windy1603

I checked the battery terminal and there are no loose wires, all wires seem to be attached correctly, so if one of them is to the glow plug relay I suspect it must be all good.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I get the feeling that you don't really understand what windy1603 are telling you.

Starting off with your first post: You have attached a picture with more fault codes than just P1351.

You have 3 faults:
- Permanent fault. Pre-heating relay circuit. Relay controlled and spark plugs not supplied.
- Permanent fault. Configuration. Configuration incorrect or not done.
- Intermittent fault. Flowmeter signal. Air flow too high.

When Windy asked about blocked EGR, I guess he was talking about the last fault there with "Air flow too high."

But just focusing on the first fault P1351, it has with the glow plugs to do.
The relay signals that it does not detect one or more glowplugs.
I guess the fault could be a faulty relay, and/or, glow plugs, and/or wiring.

The glow plugs are used mainly for cold engine starts, to heat the cylinder air so that the fuel will be ignited during the first compressions. Air gets hot when it gets compressed but this is not always enough for a really cold engine, so to get it started more easily, glow plugs are used.

I would guess that the engine coolant temperature decide if the glow plugs are going to be used. For example if you run the engine hot and turn off the engine, then clear the P1351 it will not come back if you start the engine directly due to that the engine is hot. However, if you let the engine cooldown you will get the P1351 fault back again.

It is impossible for us to say exactly what is causing your fault without more diagnostic, but as people has stated highest probability has the glow plugs.
But if you want to diagnose more before changing glow plugs I would:

Multimeter is a must for further diagnosis.
Locate the relay, measure the connection from relay to the battery as windy1603 tipped you about.
Check the resistance to the glow plugs from the relay, the resistance should be really small (~1 ohm glowplugs + wire resistance that should be small). If you get high resistance then you need to go further and check the wiring to the glow plugs, if the wiring is fine then move on to the the glow plugs.

If you end up changing glow plugs, be aware that they could break off when removing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thank you Rubb for your reply

In my first description of the fault I wrote

"all the faults have gone except P1351. any guesses as to where I should be looking??"

So I thought people were focusing on the P1351, my bad. Should have been more explicit

I tried your trick of getting the engine warm, clearing the fault and starting the engine while still up to temperature, unfortunately the fault came back

So I believe I need to

1 - check I am getting volts out of the relay to the glow plugs ( seen a video on youtube about that )

2 - check the resistance from the relay to the glow plugs

both good ideas

one last question - I have taken the cover off the engine and looked at what must be the glow plugs. There are 4 pipes running into the top of each cylinder and 4 rubber hoses going in slightly below the pipes

Am I correct that the top metal pipe holds the cable to the glow plug and I need a spanner to undo the nut and the rubber hose is fuel??

I do not want to undo a nut that will cause me misery.

So measuring the ohms from the relay looks a good alternative to doing it directly on top of the glow plug, but If I need to replace them I really would like to know what I am doing

thank you all again for you assistance

·
2,632 Posts
one last question - I have taken the cover off the engine and looked at what must be the glow plugs. There are 4 pipes running into the top of each cylinder and 4 rubber hoses going in slightly below the pipes

Am I correct that the top metal pipe holds the cable to the glow plug and I need a spanner to undo the nut and the rubber hose is fuel??

I do not want to undo a nut that will cause me misery.

:nono::nono::nono::nono:

Hi sadly you have found the diesel injectors not the glow plugs..the metal pipe eeds fuel at high pressure..the small rubber ones feed back all the excess fuel the injectors dont need.....be carefull

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thank you noddy-hol

That is need to know information which I definitely needed to know

So where might I find these "fabled" glow plugs and associated cabling

1 - 20 of 21 Posts