Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

On my 307, 2.0 petrol (2005) (EW10A), replaced waterpump. Car drove fine down the block and back. Next morning battery was flat, push started, and car had misfire. Often starts good, and then gets worse and worse till no power (max 8 mph in 1st gear), switch off and on, all then perfect. Had at 2 auto-electricians, and after spending close to $700, still problem not solved. Unfortunately no one has a Lexia3 in South Africa, the error codes on an ELM are: P1340, P0597 and P0444. I do not think the P0597 or P0444 are a problem, we have replaced the ignition coil pack but to no avail. Although I marked all pulleys on cambelt before pulling off belt when doing waterpump, and am pretty sure the belt is correctly in place, could it be the P1340 error is because I might have missed a tooth on one of the pulleys when replacing the cambelt?

Thanks
Grant

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Marking the pulleys and cam belt are really a waste of time. I would have replaced the belt when doing the pump. I recently helped someone out who had used the marking method and was in a mess with the timing. When it was timed up correctly the marks were nowhere near being lined up. You need to lock the camshaft and crankshaft using pins through the timing holes - that is what they are there for. Pin the crank & camshafts and retime it - preferably using a new belt rather than an old one.

·
Registered
14,253 Posts
You should always pin the cams when messing with the belt also the crank has a pin location in the rear of the block although it needs a special tool as its a strange set up but nothing you posted would make it run that badly as even if cams were out it would run consistently bad not gradually get worse then reset at restart.

sounds like you may have disturbed something during the work but im not sure what these engines are never really smooth but are normally pretty reliable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sounds like you may have disturbed something during the work but im not sure what these engines are never really smooth but are normally pretty reliable.
Thanks for the reply; I am pretty much at wits end with the problem; never sure how much the problem is the real problem and how much it is the computer trying to compensate. First autoelectrician broke the connector to the temperature sensor when he put that back, so the temperature was one moment -46 deg, the next +90 deg, so the engine was one moment pinging like crazy and the next back to normal as the computer was compensating for this wildly fluctuating temperature. Will try and import a Lexia3 scanner, at the moment all I can work on is my other scanners results - P0300, P1336 and P1340. Otherwise will take to a Peugeot dealership next week (their first opening)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am pretty sure the belt is back correctly (only has 25000km on it), my suspicion is that the fault has something to do with how the battery flattened overnight.

If I slipped a tooth, what sort of error code could I expect?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
P0444 -Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit Open
P0597 - ??????
Camshaft position sensor B circuit Malfunction

Have you disturbed the connector to the sensor or not pushed it fully home if disconnected it ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Storeman, thanks for the answer. As a result of the P1340, I unclipped and reclipped both the timing reference sensor and the solenoid valve in the hopes of a bad connection; to no avail. The P0597 - is because when the thermostat was replaced 2 years ago, the new genuine Peugeot part did not have the electrical connection on it, so I assume this is the cause of that error (therefore not worried about that one). The P0444 - evaporative control valve open - google search says will cause slightly dimminished fuel economy, therefore not worried about that one. The error that concerns me is P1340 as well as I have also now seen at times P1336, P0300.

My gut feeling is that something probably popped when either removing or replacing battery clamp whilst working on the car, if that, probably only Peugeot will figure it out. My hopes was that an autoelectrician could do it, but they do not have spare components to plug in and test till they eliminate the fault.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts