Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a 207 THP 150 that’s always had a pretty weak AC. It works but barely - on really hot days it’s performance was like an asthmatic blowing at me thoUgh a straw - to quote Jeremy Clarkson.

But it looks like now it’s really on its last legs.

The compressor often won’t engage (no click) and when it does it barely gets cold. It’s cold here with only 18 deg C or so and when I measure the air coming out of the vents it’s no more than 4-6 deg C, so you can imagine how bad it is on actual hot days.

I’ve never diagnosed an AC problem before so I would appreciate some pointers on what to do next. I’ve checked all the hoses, condenser etc they all looks good with no visible damage. This is a 11 year old car so is it possible it just needs a regas?

Additionally I scanned the car and it has this code P0597 stored; but there are no warnings or check engine lights or anything on the dash. Would this cause th system to not run the compressor? Even if so that doesn’t really explain why the AC has always sucked - takes ages to cool down and when it does cool it doesn’t do a very good job.

What are my next steps?

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
It could be low on gas - there is a switch which will prevent the compressor running if the pressure is very low. Perhaps yours is on the brink.

·
6,572 Posts
There was a thread on here a few months ago if i remember correctly with a similar fault and changing the thermostat cured the non working A/C

·
Registered
876 Posts
get it gas checked first, if the compressor is engaging but airflow is poor it will have nothing to do with the stat.

i have had same on cars in the past, one went cool then warmer then cooler etc and a simple regas was needed.
another just had poor airflow due to it not having gas for a few years and seals drying out in compressor, a good used one sorted that.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
get it gas checked first, if the compressor is engaging but airflow is poor it will have nothing to do with the stat.

i have had same on cars in the past, one went cool then warmer then cooler etc and a simple regas was needed.
another just had poor airflow due to it not having gas for a few years and seals drying out in compressor, a good used one sorted that.
This ^^

and check your a/c cabin filter is not blocked up... ;)

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
It states it is Part No 1332 Z6. This part has a removable temp. sensor and is specified for 207s with RPO (build date code) less than 12351, which means before 2 Sept 2010. The RPO is usually on a label on the driver's door pillar. If you can't find it, post the last 8 digits of your VIN.

If your RPO is 12351 or greater, you need 1332 CC, which has an integrated temp. sensor.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
P0597 from Peugeot Service box tech info suggests the suspect areas as thermostat, engine ecu, wiring harness.

The likely customer complaints is lack of power at high altitude and Possibility of deactivating the air conditioning compressor (declutching) which believe is one of the issues your experiencing.

If was on my car I would be changing the thermostat initially, clearing the fault code and see the results.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am sure that is the right Part - my car is a 07 model so definitely won't have a RPO greater than 12351.

I'll swap out the tstat and report back.

AC is screwy but at least the car runs now...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Before I changed the thermostat I decided to crack the bleed screw on the thermostat, seeing as when I’d done the coolant on this thing a few months prior I didn’t bleed the thermostat because the official instructions don’t call for it (the official procedure calls for removing the lowest radiator hose, draining coolant, putting the hose back, filling coolant, removing the cap on the line that goes to the heater core, holding the car at 2000 rpm until the fan kicks in, waiting for the coolant to start coming out from the heater core pipe).

When I cracked the thermostat screw I definitely heard some hissing, then coolant came out.

I then took it for a drive and once the car got up to temp I found the temperature gauge is at exactly horizontal - before, it’d jump from 80-110. Once I stopped the engine, I found the radiator fan didn’t continue to run either - earlier on, the fan would continue running for a few minutes.

Let’s see how this pans out over the next couple of days and if the fault comes back I’ll order the thermostat.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It’s been 4 days now. The temperature gauge stays bang on horizontal whereas earlier it would dance around a tiny bit between just under horizontal to just over; the A/C works fine too.

The radiator fan would spin at full tit for a couple of minute after switching off the car - this no longer happens.

So I guess I had air trapped in the thermostat and cracking the bleed screw has resolved it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts