Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So had the fault codes read and the only code showing is P0011 - dephaser fault. Can anyone tell me exactly what this fault is and why is involved in fixing this ?

2008 Peugeot 207 1.6 VTI sw

Cheers

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I did thanks dude, and much appreciated again for going out of your way to help me out, your a legend mate. I'll sort something out next couple days !
That dephaser link doesn't work just says site can't be reached.

·
Registered
18 Posts
dephaser fault

ill share my experience even if it doesnt help (i had the same code reading).

i brought a 207 cheap off a neighbor since he said a garage had the timing chain changed and it just needed a new inlet dephaser (£50). so i started stripping the engine to investigate and found that the top chain guide was snapped off and was loose in the top of the engine and the timing was out by a couple of teeth (probably because the tensioner had snapped)

I changed the timing chain, guides and tensioner (apparently bmw modified the tensioner because it was faulty) i also changed the inlet dephaser just to make sure but after putting it all back together after 3 days of driving and lack of power the code came back on.

i started messing with the engine once again and found that both of the solenoid mesh's were clogged up with metal filings which came from the broken chain guide (you could see the wear on them)

i feel stupid that i didnt check them sooner but you live and learn. the car has ran fine now for over 6 months after cleaning the solenoids

i hope my experience helps.

quick note. The timing chain was never changed before i brought the car... any idiot could tell it wasn't. the white chain guides were stained dark brown with wear and the plastic was brittle and snapped very easily for example. never trust a car seller haha iv learnt my lesson.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi guys rang my local garage and have been quoted £350-400 for this job and just out of curiosity I rang my local Peugeot dealer and have been quoted £30 for the cam dephaser (is this the correct part) and £65 for fitting which seems unusual Peugeot are cheaper than my local can anyone confirm that Peugeot are looking at the correct part to replace for this fault please ??

Thanks

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
£350 is way over the odds, the cam dephaser is the correct part, so you're probably best going to Peugeot if they can do it for that price.

To be fair, looking at Stripe88's link posted earlier, it doesn't look like a particularly big or difficult job, so where the other garage gets £350 from is a bit of a mystery to me

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
The solenoid is held in with a 10mm bolt that's it. Maybe have to remove a couple of pipes for easier access but very easy job to do when get access bit 350 quid is daylight robbery.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers guys I don't know if the local garage was planning on replacing the whole unit and not just the solenoid.

Off to Peugeot to confirm price and book it in asap

Cheers guys

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
its the camshaft dephaser solenoid that needs swapping first on the intake side under left of the air filter housing (under 1 hour job)

the other quote you had was for the camshaft dephaser sprocket/cog/pulley,
this is a bigger job, but 9/10 it will be the solenoid at fault, held in by one 10mm bolt.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just been to Peugeot and checked the quote and they quoted me for a cam position sensor, how on earth they got that from me asking for a price on the dephaser solenoid lol, anyways the dephaser solenoid is £75 +vat and fitting and said an 1-2 hours and at £100 labour per hour could be a big bill.

Can I replace the solenoid myself or does it need any adaptions or software sorting afterwards ??

And yes the other quite was for full dephaser gear swapping and fitting hence the big price.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
yes you can fit it yourself, no reset needed.

remove air filter and pipes, undo 2? screws behind air filter element and pull whole housing off.

undo throttle body pipe from throttle body and remove.

3 torx screws hold on throttle body, so clear a space move any pipes in the way and undo (a stubby 1/4 ratchet with small extension best here)

now unplug solenoid plug and get a mirror in to spot the 10mm bolt, undo bolt and use a sharp screwdriver to help lever it out.

would take me 30 mins, unless i worked for peugeot.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.