Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! New to the forum and I was hoping that perhaps some peugeot expert could help me out ;) .

I own a 1996 Peugeot 205 GRi with a 1.1L injected gasoline engine which has about 107.000km at the moment.

I've been having this unresolved problem for a couple of years now and have tried almost everything to no avail. When I'm going on a steep climb with full payload, the temperature warning light turns on after a couple of hundred meters (BTW, the dashboard doesn't have a needle so the only indicator of the engine's temperature is the warning light).

I've already replaced the head gasket (which was considerably damaged), flushed the radiator, changed the radiator fan switch and the thermostat but the problem prevails.

It has to be noted that this never happens when driving through flat terrain or when driving upwards with only the driver onboard. Also, the problem happens quite quickly. The other day I was going up on a somewhat steep climb with 5 people on board (had to use first gear at about 5.000rpm if I'm not mistaken) and within about 150-200 meters the warning light was on.

My mechanic says that there are only two options left. Either the water temperature sensor has lost calibration as is now too "sensitive" or the water pump isn't producing enough pressure to push the water upwards when going uphill.

It's terribly frustrating. Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
862 Posts
Is the radiator fan still working? If not ,sounds like you have a short. it will be between battery positive and positive side of fan and it will be a short to earth. Or in the fan itself

·
Registered
18 Posts
i would do three things.
drop the radiator contents and backflush it using a hosepipe and some rag in the bottom pipe. amazing how much crap comes out if you do it this way.
If you can remove the radiator to do this and shake it about a bit too, so much for the better.

secondly, the thermostat housing on most cars is about the highest part of the cooling system, remove the thermostat and make sure there is not air underneath but that the system is full of coolant.

remember to use a coolant with a corrision inhibitor.

run the engine until the fan kicks in (keeping an eye on the warning light)
if you keep the top off the expansion tank whilst you are doing this you ahould start seeing water gushing about in there once the fan kicks in. this tells you that the water pump is at least working and the whole thermostat/fan assembly is playing.

if all is well here its time to look at how hard you are working the engine.
heavily laden cars with small engines on hills WILL over heat. If this is the way the cars life is to be destined, treat it to some "slick 50" on its next oil change. the car WILL run cooler once its in, but dont whine during the winter when you have to wait ages for the heater to work and demist your glass/ thaw your feet:lol:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts