Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys.

Got a problem with the wifes Peugeot 308 & thought id come to the people who probably know most - first.

STOP dashlight is illuminated, heating indicator is in the red, fans are going crazy. Coolant is fully topped up yet the problem persists.

Anybody have an idea of the problem might be? I appreciate its hard to say whats exactly wrong. Only had the car 3 months and its under warranty, and was all serviced prior to buying the car.

A video of the problem should be live here very soon IMG00031] - YouTube

·
Registered
108 Posts
overheating

Firstly I would check the hose on either side of thermostat when engine is warm/hot, if thermostat is o.k. then hoses should be same temp. If one is a lot cooler then thermostat needs looking at. Secondly, again when engine is hot, feel if the hoses are hard to compress by hand while the engine is running. If the hoses are hard it could well be a crack in head gasket between cylinder and water port, causing compression in water system which heats the water quite quickly and creates excessive pressure.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Temp sender on thermostat housing is stuffed and leaking coolant into wiring look for crusty deposits on it if it looks crusty/wet change sender.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you for your quick replies guys ill check out the suggestions tomorrow & update on here. Hoping the warranty covers it. Is this they type of thing that could be picked up with a standard OBD2 code reader? I guess not but I have one so ill also give that a try.

Thank you

·
Registered
11 Posts
got the same issue

I've got the same issue, wife just called with exact same symptoms.

Did you get a fix in the end? Would be interested to know what you found the problem to be.

Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,

I've just got home and checked the car out, symptoms are identical to the OP's.

I also tested the rad hoses, both are flexible; not stiff. Hose to/from top of the rad is warm, bottom one is noticeably cooler, this is after car had been driven for 5/10 mins perhaps.

Could this be the thermostat or the coolant temp sensor?

Cheers for any help.

p.s. engine is an EP6

·
Registered
11 Posts
So I managed to order the part from Amazon of all places, £5 too!

Fitted it just now, initially the fault messages and symptoms remained so I took it for a quick drive.

After 10 minutes I noticed that temperature dial was working as normal, as were fans.

Here is an image of the state the sensor was in:

fluro: Photo

Still have the engine warning light on for pollution sensor but will try 3,cycles to clear that, otherwise I'll ask the garage to reset that when it has the MOT.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I changed my cooolant temperature sensor and the problem went away.

My car would run for five minutes in normal driving conditions and then suddenly temperature gauge would shoot into the red and the STOP message would come up for about 5 secs and then go away and normality would resume. Process would repeat itself regularly on a trip. Replaced sensor under warranty.

Known issue from what I can see.

(308 GTI)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts