Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello can anyone help with a few questions on electric polishing machines please

Many kits can be bought that supply pads how often can a pad be reused are they washable
Is there much vibration in use
How often is it wise to wax the car with a machine per year.
Any specific machines you recommend

Top budget £200 but would be much happier nearer the £100, if kit had all waxes polishes etc would maybe go extra £40

Thanks folks

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
131 Posts
If it is a decent machine, there should be little vibration.

I do my motors going into winter, then again coming into summer.

Pads are washable, wool ones last longer than foam. Foam tends to break up at the edges where they have been rubbing over badges, washer jets, locks, etc.

It will depend on your use and quality of pads. I buy a couple of foam ones every other year.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you what machine did you buy please, think wool sounds good certainly for wax will they need washing machine can't imagine getting wax out in a bucket.

I was looking at dodojuice think its called spinner about £90

Thanks again

Allan

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi,
The wool/sponge thing isn't a choice. You will need both.

There are several types of sponge, different materials, density, different hardness or softness, each for a specific type of compound, buffing stage, even colour of paint.

The wool pads are for removal and finishing.

Loads of info on the web.

As for specific types of machine, buy what you feel comfortable using, within your budget.

Anything that runs off your cigarette lighter socket can go in the bin.

If your paint is in OK condition, you would be just as good doing it by hand. A proper job with a machine is not the easy/quick/effortless version of a manual polish.

Remember you can damage panels by burning through if you are over enthusiastic.

If you are looking at once or twice a year on you regular driver, it might be just as easy getting it done by a pro.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi

Yes a couple of times a year looked local detail polish a £100 up

Not worried about burn through being honest I have used da air tools wet and dry

It's not so much looking for easy, I have few light scratches and the car had tree sap on it which most came off with clay

On solid colour used brasso not sure if that's a great idea with clear coat

Watched a load of video on YouTube today I think a decent machine £90-120 very decent for home £170

Plus pads pad cleaner and 3 tubes cutter polish sealer total maybe £180

Going to think about it a bit do you feel twice a year for your car was not good value

Thanks for the help

Allan

·
Registered
131 Posts
You will get a decent consumer setup for that money.

I use mine way more than 2 times a year, but only do my own cars 2 times a year.
Maybe I misunderstood the question.

I do a lot of spray painting, and my kit cost me way more than the 200. I only do me own motors because I have it. Its part of the process that I hate, but has to be done.

Its time consuming and boring, and I would rather being doing more productive things.

If it was practical to pay someone to come round and do it for me I would, but that would be daft because I have the kit.

All I was trying to say was look at the cost vs hassle vs convenience.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah I see yes once you finish spraying you need to prep car for return to customer I can see how that would be tedious lol

Part for me was the shock of a £100 for detailing I figured twice and that's me owning my own kit and its paid for.

I may well be used on two other cars, I have rheumatoid arthritis among other things and the polishing means my hands wrist swell up can't wear my watch, hence question about vibration.

I find when I polish now I don't rub long enough to get the shine I want, I think if I did a panel a time I could get there.

2 panels had recently been painted when I got the car good job but really needs more shine I am not very fussy but when I get a car I like to bottom it then know its done.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
55 Posts
your welcome miles better than 3m ,i use 3m vinyl all the time i'm a signwriter and its one of the best .for polishing or body prep farecla everytime

·
Registered
55 Posts
its not that hardwork just use a damp cloth and spray a bit of water now and again and soon done lol ,just try on a small area dosnt need buffing much to shine just wash it off after using

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Might give it a crack after my right hand.bruising goes down, it's mainly rheumatoid arthritis that's what I fancied machine application for guess to save £100 on a machine I could do a panel every couple of weeks or less if swelling came down soon enough

Thanks again

Allan

·
Registered
55 Posts
yeah do it a bit at a time but if you buy it and its to much for you, you can always use it on a machine ,but if you use it on a machine use plenty of water or it gets hot.i have a cordless angle grinder that i put a foam head on as it spins slower than a electric angle grinder its perfect .and always get a decent head pay a little extra its like everything else you get what you pay for

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cheers I have two grinders both electric though, I think I will try hand first see how much I swell up if its too much will get a tool

The car is not desperate just a bit neglected in the past for clean and polish, must have spent 1500 for parts in last ten weeks so feels good to contemplate some work I will actually be able to see vbg

Allan

·
Registered
55 Posts
your welcome if you get stuck or need help in anyway just giz a shout here is a demo but you dont need to flat it with sand paper that just fresh paint ,but you can see its like glass the finish

1 - 20 of 37 Posts