Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello people, i am currently exploring ways to read the fault codes on my 406 HDI but although im mechanically confident i know nothing about car computers whatsoever so please forgive me if my questions are to newbish.

To my understanding my car has an obd2 system as it is on a 51 plate, has a 16 pin connector and has wires on pins 1,4,5,7,11,12 and 16. Although i could be getting it all wrong :confused:

My main question here is if i get the Peugeot planet program or alternative is it as simple as just buying an obd2 connection lead like this one and im good to go?

ELM 327 CAR CODE READER CABLE DIAGNOSTIC SCAN TOOL USB

Thanks for any advice given and once again sorry for the newbish questions, i have tried to learn as much as i can before finally registering and posting but im glad i have and look forward to further visits as this is a great site.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Mmm 15 views and no replies :rolleyes:

Surely someone here can help me? Since my last post i have acquired a copy of multi diag office and im wondering if anyone here knows if i can use this software to read the fault codes on my car and reset them.

Also if the answer is yes then my original question still stands, can i now just buy the obd2 cable and im good to go?

Please help me guys i know im a noob but im trying here!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bettyswollocks many thanks for a response although £165 is a bit higher than i would like to spend.

Let me get this right though, lets say i get my hands on the peugeot planet program somehow, can i just buy an obd2 cable and hook it up to a laptop or do i need anything else? thanks again for your response

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Damn it just gets worst :(

£165 for PP + £190 for the interface

I just begrudge giving my money to Peugeot and i really need a way to read and clear my code. Prob need to in the future too but that just way out of my ball park.

Ok lets say i get lucky with this Multi diag program, Do you think i will still need an expensive interface or can i just use an obd2 cable.

Sorry but im trying to figure out if an expensive interface is a necessity or just required by certain programs.

And thanks for your continued support mate :thumb:

EDIT : ive just noticed, isnt there an interface in the pp ebay link you posted above?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok £165 it is then.

The link you provided is for Peugeot and Citroen but i now also have this multi diag program that reckons it can do any car, so can i use the connection leads/interface in the link with other programs or is it pp limited?

What i am trying to get at is, if i am going to spent out then i would like to be able to access other makes of cars and possible advertise in my local paper to earn a few quid back on what ive spent. So...

Do i need a specific interface for every make of car? obd2 of course!

Or just a decent obd2 interface and the appropriate software for that car?

I am almost there bettyswollocks, just a few more prods in the right direction and im of to purchase what i need, im just trying to get the best for my money and at the same time avoid buying incompatible software/hardware. Plus now i have this program that's suppose to do almost all makes of car i would like the chance to benefit from it, but i need to get in clear in my head in regards to the connection to other cars and the various interfaces.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again for your response.

I am ordering the kit for £165 for my car but im still confused here :confused:

Lets say for argument sake that the program i have works for all cars regardless (as it claims). How do i go about connecting the program to all the various cars? Will they all require a specific interface? Can i buy an OBD2 interface that will connect all OBD2 cars to a computer running the program? do i need a separate interface for different makes etc etc

If the program claims to do any car then surely there must be a simple way to connect them all or a very difficult, very expensive way requiring different interfaces:nono:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cosidering you are the only one here replying and the only who knows his stuff i guees im going to be taking your word for it mate lol

Ive ordered the kit for my car so now im just looking for a cable to use in conjuction with the multi diag program i have on other make of cars.

Im guessing this is as simple as buying an obd2 to usb cable but things dont seem to be that simple so before i hit the buy button on ebay can you confirm this for me please betty : )

You have been a star by the way, if im ever in ireland i owe you a drink mate!

G

·
bettyswollocks said:
you need an pp interface for pp to work , another member on here is trying to get it to work the way you are thinking but at the minute no luck.
Partly successful. It's reading engine codes, and can 'see' the U500 body systems, but the config stuff isn't working. my man's working in the states at the moment so the projects ground to a halt til he returns.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Think you might of ill advised me bettyswollocks, i have been reading the questions on the ebay item and have now asked the seller to confirm.

but it seems the tool you advised is going to have problems with diesel models :(

Q: Hello, is your tool compatible with 307 2.0 HDI 110CV manufactured in 2004? Thanks. 29-Jan-10
A: Yes,it can. But your car must be Gasonline car not diesel car.

Q: bonjour, le produit est-il compatible avec une peugeot 307 2.0 hdi de 2002 ? l'ELM327 ne marche pas, car peugeot à un protocole VAN spécifique. Sur la 307, il y a les 2 protocoles VAN-CAN. Donc le produit est-il compatible avec le protocole VAN de peugeot ? merci cordialement 28-Jan-10
A: No, it can not for diesel.

Im praying he aint shipped it yet!

I think im going to give in and pay to get the codes read and cleared, it will probally save me money in terms of how much time i will save sitting at a computer lol. I cant believe how complicted they have made this process for all the different makes of car. If someone on ebay put together a kit that would do every make of car they would make a fortune ;)

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
Which one are you talking about?

Did i not say get peugeot planet £165 , it reads 2002 307 ,2002 206 and 2004 307 for me so far , so will do yours.

Don`t know whos answering the questions but all the cars i have read are hdi`s

Hang on to i get my camera.............

Right this is mine and as far as i know everybody else on here that has one the same.

Technology Everyday carry Electronic device

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300386502185&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

thats the one i got but it seems by the questions and answers on the listing that it might not do diesels pre 2004. Thats the way i read it anyway.

I have been speakng to another guy on ebay who is selling this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150414897154&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

And he had this to say

"This tool will work fine.
The 2001/2004 dates refer to the EOBD regulations,
which standardised engine management diagnostics
on cars sold within the EU after those dates.
Your car is too early to be fitted with an EOBD
compatible system so would not work with an
EOBD/OBD-II tool.
However the FR704 is designed specifically for the
French makes, and uses their own languages to
communicate with the cars rather than the EOBD
protocols. So because of that it can get into most
Citroen, Peugeot and Renault cars back to around
It also has an EOBD mode built in, which would
allow you to access the engine management on cars
from other makes after the 2001/2004 dates.

Regards,
Mike"

so basically i need to find out what this so called french language is called and at the same time buy a reader that will reset air bag faults as thats one of the things i need to do.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts