Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, happy Friday (and bank hol).
307cc 2lt 16v auto with ew10a rfj engine. 2005.

Belt off, pulley off, toothed cog off. There's just one woodruff key that fits the outer pulley very snug but the groove in the cog is wider than this woodruff key. The actual cam rod (sorry if wrong terminology, the 'rod' that the toothed cog and pulley go on) has two slots in it that I assume each should hold a woodruff key. Am I missing a woodruff key?
I called Peugeot dealer who looked up my engine and said he can see two slots but the diagram on his system only showed one woodruff key. he was puzzled too!

If it only has one woodruff key then the inner toothed cog groove is wider than the woodruff key I do have (that fits tight in the outer pulley) allows the inner toothed cog to move a little either direction - surely not right?

Thoughts anyone!
Thanks in advance
Ron

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you

Hi Relaible 406,
Firstly - thank you for taking the time to answer and advise. Appreciated.
Secondly - wow, that is scary!
Thirdly - not sure if i have and older or newer engine (I do know it was build code 10377 so I'll see if I can look that up and see which engine it is) but I do know the crank has two slots.

I popped into the dealer yesterday and there was an old (as in years of experience) mechanic. he said i did need a woodruff key in the inner slot and that when you tension the belt, the cog needs a little allowance to move which is why the groove is slightly wider than the woodruff key. !!!

Anyway, I bought a second woodruff key (was only £3) from the dealer (it's identical to the outer woodruff key), my thinking is why not put it on anyway. If the outer pulley holds the inner cog by pressure then having an inner key would be fine as it will just sit there. I have noticed that the outer key (the one on the pulley) juts out by a millimetre or two into the grove on the cog.

Here's to a nervious week-end :(
Thanks again
Ron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts