Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was bleeding the air out of the car, using an allen key
and it dropped , straight into the hole in the engine casing where the flywheel is !
I could not believe it found its way in there, nor that there was such a flipping hole !!

Has anyone any tips
or is it gearbox off to get to the allen key.

I noticed by probing there was a bit of sticky oily crud at the base of the case...maybe it'll lodge itself in there, out of harms way .....yeah right ;)
DSCF2396.jpg

DSCF2397.jpg

DSCF2399.jpg

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
You could try using a magnetic pick-up tool or if not available maybe a small magnet on a string?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Is there a drain hole on underside of gearbox?
You can remove starter and or salve clutch if external mounted.
Magnet on string wont work, would need to be on a stick or something.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks all,

I am trying heavy duty welding magnets attached to a screwdriver
and also a slim magnet pickup tool.

Just seen there is a flywheel sensor summat, maybe if I can get that out , I'll have more of an access point .

ps 1.1 106 1997 hdz engine

living. nightmare .

cheers
Liam

·
Registered
822 Posts
If it gone into the pressure plate then gearbox will need to come out.
You could take the spark plugs out, and slowly rotate engine with small strong magnet attached to fly wheel.
It might bring key up!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks Greegor...

Nope, nothing being dragged up, when I turn the car over by hand...

Tbh, with the shape of the allen key, it would be tricky to get out ,
even if I could find it, which I can't

Would taking the start motor help access, or not really .

Maybe I'll have to put on my big boys shorts and man the hell up and git that gearbox out.

(never done before...not a clue...but that hasn't stopped me before :) )

Any tips, tricks?
Maybe I only need to open the case a bit to get my fingers in, to see if it's at the bottom

LIam

·
Registered
822 Posts
Removing the starter would give you a larger hole to work with, to go fishing for better words.
Removal of gearbox, drain box oil, remove both drive shafts, battery try out, remove gear linkages, support engine, remove clutch slave, remove housing bolts, support box and remove gearbox mount.
Box should slid away from engine.
Its not a small job to do on the ground.
Exhaust all other options before removing gearbox.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you !
I shall put off the gearbox out , till I have tinkered some more.

If it was metal, I'd be half tempted to cut a hole underneath...fish around...and then weld or make some threads for a plate

Cheers all
Liam

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
to be honest, I am half tempted to suck it and see...

the likelyhood of me botching the gearbox, is quite high.

and I need to soonish for work.

Maybe I'll get another for £500... if it all goes *bang*

I've had it 5 years...115,000 miles.
I think the timing belt is due a *bang* soon, as I did taht myself 60,000 miles ago.

Also, I don't even have a flat area to work on ...so a slip and it's goodnight from me .

what'd y'all think....

Liam

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I would at least have a look behind starter motor cheaper than another car. Even as you said cutting a hole at the bottom and capping it is worth a shot. Unless you fancy a different car re your air issue from other thread

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would at least have a look behind starter motor cheaper than another car. Even as you said cutting a hole at the bottom and capping it is worth a shot. Unless you fancy a different car re your air issue from other thread
good idea...
lol..all this happened, because I found the fault of the idle,
fixed it,
and was bleeding the air out.

that's when the allen key fel off the bleed hex nut on the thermometer and god only know how.. fell into that small hole and disappeared.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
This is maybe a ludicrous idea :D

What about if you remove starter motor and plugs pop something like a kitchen sponge or brillo pad into the who the key dropped in and rotate the engine by hand until said sponge appears at the who.e again. Sponge may well bring the key up with it

I know ludicrous :eek:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is maybe a ludicrous idea :D

What about if you remove starter motor and plugs pop something like a kitchen sponge or brillo pad into the who the key dropped in and rotate the engine by hand until said sponge appears at the who.e again. Sponge may well bring the key up with it

I know ludicrous :eek:
Good idea...
I suppose there's nothing to lose.

I'm beginning to think it's gone the other side of the flywheel to the starter motor...looking at the way it went in the hole..

I'll have a cuppa and a biscuit and recoup :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts